PDA

View Full Version : My Yugo: First centerfire, first C&R. Tell me what you think! PIC HEAVY-ISH

Ergo the Qualmed
11-04-2010, 6:54 PM
Well, I decided to start my C&R/old stuff collection, and my centerfire rifle collection, at the same time. So my first centerfire is a nice Yugo! haha
So, I got it at Big 5 for $399+DROS and tax and a gun lock...ended up at $469, which is rather expensive, but it at least looks as if it has barely been used. The bore looks great; I mean, I cannot say I know what a good bore looks like, but it seems to be shiny, and smooth (except for the rifling, of course, which looks nice and sharp!) And it has (as far as I can tell) matching numbers. Not like the other ones Big 5 wanted to sell me hehe

Serial: 1891xx range. Finished cleaning out all the cosmo today; used a steam cleaner, Hoppes9, elbow grease, and copious amounts of rubbing alcohol. Hoppes smell probably pissed off roommates, but it was worth it in the long run!

Once again, maybe not the best deal, but I am still pleased. Gonna try and shoot it this weekend at Yolo Sportsmen's Assy. perhaps.

http://i499.photobucket.com/albums/rr356/macintoshman04/My%20Yugo/IMG_0464.jpg
http://i499.photobucket.com/albums/rr356/macintoshman04/My%20Yugo/IMG_0462.jpg
http://i499.photobucket.com/albums/rr356/macintoshman04/My%20Yugo/IMG_0463.jpg
http://i499.photobucket.com/albums/rr356/macintoshman04/My%20Yugo/IMG_0467.jpg
http://i499.photobucket.com/albums/rr356/macintoshman04/My%20Yugo/IMG_0468.jpg
http://i499.photobucket.com/albums/rr356/macintoshman04/My%20Yugo/IMG_0469.jpg

My foto implements involve an iPhone 3G-S and photobooth on an 09 MBP

Hope you guys like it! i figure that by starting young, I can make sure and eliminate my chances of having any money in my life...to be replaced by smelly old history!

(TWO MORE PICS BELOW)

Ergo the Qualmed
11-04-2010, 6:55 PM
http://i499.photobucket.com/albums/rr356/macintoshman04/My%20Yugo/Photoon2010-11-04at1650.jpg
http://i499.photobucket.com/albums/rr356/macintoshman04/My%20Yugo/Photoon2010-11-04at1653.jpg

laika
11-04-2010, 7:39 PM
That's one pretty Yugo. Congrats! Hope you are ready to keep spending money on more and more fun guns!

Seriously, that is a beautiful yugo and I hope it shoots well for you this weekend. I have a Big 5 yugo and yours is prettier! Good luck and again congrats

Toyman321
11-04-2010, 7:41 PM
Congrats on getting into collecting C&R's, looks great! Now get your 03 and kiss your credit cards goodbye!

icormba
11-04-2010, 8:08 PM
http://i499.photobucket.com/albums/rr356/macintoshman04/My%20Yugo/IMG_0462.jpg

Love those Elm stocks!

p.s. your picture reminds me of what my mother would have said... "you put that much effort into your rifle and you can't even do the dishes!" ;)

Ergo the Qualmed
11-04-2010, 8:13 PM
Love those Elm stocks!

p.s. your picture reminds me of what my mother would have said... "you put that much effort into your rifle and you can't even do the dishes!" ;)

hahaha...yeah, this was taken during the period of time before my roommates saw that the best strategy, is to do your dishes after you use them, like I do..."wash your hands" of responsibility on dish-day haha!

As for the rifle stock, I had been wondering what it was made from! I noticed it was fairly dark compared with all the other SKS's they had, and it lighted a little when i cleaned it, but to be honest my knowledge on wood-types is non existent haha

stitchnicklas
11-04-2010, 8:28 PM
nice pics....

now heres a suggestion now that you finished cleaning your gun.

sweep & wash your floor,clean your counter,do your dishes,put the cans in the recycling,clean the stove,then go to the range.. :laugh::laugh::laugh::rofl:

mosinnagantm9130
11-04-2010, 8:50 PM
Nice Yugo, love the stock.

On a sidenote, we have the same computer chair.

Ergo the Qualmed
11-04-2010, 9:04 PM
nice pics....

sweep & wash your floor,clean your counter,do your dishes,put the cans in the recycling,clean the stove,then go to the range.. :laugh::laugh::laugh::rofl:

Oh yes definitely--I had managed to somehow slop molten cosmo over the range during the cleaning process...I took care of it; looks much cleaner. And the clothes are my roommate's haha...all in all, the process was as conducive to cleaning the apartment, as is a power outage to cleaning out a fridge...!

Yep, behold the future of gun owners: untidy young adults who like old guns and Blast'o'Butter popcorn :D

comblock
11-04-2010, 9:25 PM
Did you take the bolt apart? There is tons of cosmo in the bolt. Make sure the firing pin rattles in the bolt otherwise it may slam fire. Be safe and have fun!

paul0660
11-04-2010, 9:31 PM
Don't take the bolt apart unless it doesn't rattle. Squirting it with brake cleaner will clean it out. Lots of bolt pins get mashed and the head cracked needlessly.

Ergo the Qualmed
11-04-2010, 9:40 PM
In answer to Comblock and paul006:

I did not take the bolt apart, as I do not have the proper punches to do so properly. When I have more money, or if it fails a 2rd test and decides to fire them both without my express written consent (ha ha), I will purchase one of the spring pins.

HOWEVER, when I got the bolt out, I sprayed high pressure steam through the firing pin channel for about 30 minutes, until nothing came out and it rattled. Then I boiled it in a pot of water, and then blew it out for another 10 minutes, and then let it sit in a bath of rubbing alcohol for a while. I made sure not to oil the face/backside, and only lightly oil the sides. It rattles, as far as I can tell. And when i manually manipulate the FP, it doesn't bind.

On the plus side, I have (I think) neutral sear engagement--like, as I pull the creepy trigger, the hammer seems to stay stone-still until the moment it releases. So, maybe not as safe as positive, but not too bad, right?

Interloper
11-04-2010, 9:53 PM
Nice carbine. Sounds like you put a lot of TLC, not to mention elbow grease into cleaning it.

From your description, the bolt should be pretty clean. Still, I recommend Murry's Firing Pin to any and all SKS owners. Fairly cheap insurance against slam fires and bolt face deformation.

Ergo the Qualmed
11-05-2010, 1:22 AM
Actually, I do have one concern. I purchased a .30 cal cleaning rod kit to clear out the barrel and whatnot. But, when I push a patch through, I experience very little resistance; my .22 requires a ton of effort to force a .22 cleaning rod through, but the .30 on my SKS needs only a minimum of effort. And yet, I can see the rifling is sharp and everything...is this...normal? Or a cause for concern?

Interloper
11-05-2010, 7:40 AM
Actually, I do have one concern. I purchased a .30 cal cleaning rod kit to clear out the barrel and whatnot. But, when I push a patch through, I experience very little resistance; my .22 requires a ton of effort to force a .22 cleaning rod through, but the .30 on my SKS needs only a minimum of effort. And yet, I can see the rifling is sharp and everything...is this...normal? Or a cause for concern?

30 cal is .308" while your SKS should be .311" or maybe as much as .313". What are you using on the end of the rod? A jag or a slotted patch puller? They make true .311" jags and that might help.

Ergo the Qualmed
11-05-2010, 10:26 AM
30 cal is .308" while your SKS should be .311" or maybe as much as .313". What are you using on the end of the rod? A jag or a slotted patch puller? They make true .311" jags and that might help.

OK, that may explain it. I used a slotted patch puller at first, and then a jag. I'll have to look into larger jags I suppose. It was said to be usable for everything in the .30 range, so it makes sense that it would be smaller than my bore. Thanks!

t0kie
11-05-2010, 11:38 PM
Nice & great start for a C&R rifle.
________
Homemade preteen (http://vaporshop.com/)

jl1252
11-06-2010, 10:48 AM
There are gun owners in Davis? Holy cow, who knew...

All kidding aside nice looking rifle, and nice cleaning job, too.

jl1252

Eat Dirt
11-06-2010, 11:00 AM
nice pics....

100 % THAT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Man..People want to see the Gun / Not the mess !!!!!!!!!!!!

negolien
11-06-2010, 11:02 AM
nice pics....

:threadjacked:
ROFL I was wondering if I was gonna be the 1st one to mention that. Now that you have recieved your weapon start saving up for a maid rofl :<).. Grats though seriously.

finloq
11-06-2010, 11:15 AM
:threadjacked:
ROFL I was wondering if I was gonna be the 1st one to mention that. Now that you have recieved your weapon start saving up for a maid rofl :<).. Grats though seriously.

The only thing that scares me about that apartment (other than the comment about roommate(s); how many have you got crammed in there?:rolleyes: Is that foam lined case. I have seen too many guns leak a little gun oil/lubricant/etc. onto the foam, which then slowly melts onto the rifle. They also like to act like a sponge and hold moisture in them. Great for traveling, poor for long term storage.

finloq
11-06-2010, 11:18 AM
The only thing that scares me about that apartment (other than the comment about roommate(s); how many have you got crammed in there?:rolleyes:

Oh, and unless you have a keg crammed under one of those piles, I don't think that too many females will be drawn to your swingin' pad.:43:

Ergo the Qualmed
11-06-2010, 2:30 PM
The only thing that scares me about that apartment (other than the comment about roommate(s); how many have you got crammed in there?:rolleyes: Is that foam lined case. I have seen too many guns leak a little gun oil/lubricant/etc. onto the foam, which then slowly melts onto the rifle. They also like to act like a sponge and hold moisture in them. Great for traveling, poor for long term storage.

Oh yeah, I purchased a gun sock before I got the rifle, and store the rifle in the sock when it is in the case...I make sure to oil it lightly first, and check every once in a while...sofar, no moisture issues. I had heard that the gun socks can have an adverse effect if there is moisture on the gun when you put it away, but sofar I have been careful, and no issues.

I am looking for a cheap, small gun cabinet. One I could fit in my overly-spacious closet or something.

I become almost OCD when dealing with my firearms; I clean after every shooting instance. Hell, I spent ~1.5hrs cleaning my .22 last time, just to be certain it was clean...this SKS took easily 15 hours, or more, because I wanted it to be "shiny."

I have 3 other roommates; I can assure you, though, that this was a one-off...namely, it was the week in which some idiot jammed a bicycle in the dumpster, and the garbage people refused to cart it off. So, we had to keep our crap inside for a while. I am the cleanest person; I try and motivate the others to do the same...basically non of the dirty dishes or garbage was mine, nor are the clothes, though I will admit that the floor was nasty that day.

Steam gun + cosmo = oh no better get a mop and rag, that stuff will FLY!! :D

cplbuck
11-06-2010, 10:14 PM
Very nice. I bought my Yugo about 4 years ago. Had a problem with pierced primers. I could always tell when it happened. Smoke would pour out of the receiver like the rifle is on fire. It wouldn't function after it would do this. I'd have to take the bolt apart and I would find that the firing pin would be bent. I could have put an after market pin in there but I wanted to keep it 100% original. After much research I found some advice on Youper Johns forum. The trick was to round off the end of the pin without taking away any of the legnth. Now it works flawlessly. It's one of my favorites. I even found a cleaning kit that fits in the butt stock.