PDA

View Full Version : Johnson collector.....

WWII collector
11-04-2010, 3:58 PM
Anybody want to part with one of these..........

Rogerbutthead
11-04-2010, 4:37 PM
Sorry, mine is mine.

WWII collector
11-04-2010, 4:47 PM
Sorry, mine is mine.

Great piece, ever want to sell it, I'm a serious player.Know anyone with either one of these ?

mievil
11-04-2010, 6:08 PM
Johnson collector. hahahahahahahahahahaha

Ergo the Qualmed
11-04-2010, 6:12 PM
Johnson collector. hahahahahahahahahahaha

Oh wow...my night just became a lot funnier!:cheers2:

WWII collector
11-04-2010, 6:40 PM
Doesn't take much to entertain you two, brothers?

Ergo the Qualmed
11-04-2010, 6:58 PM

Either I laugh at that, or cry for the fact that I will probably never see any of those in person, much less own them...

mievil
11-04-2010, 7:29 PM

My apologies. Would you rather I enter your thread and berate you like every other person on this site?

BTW, that's not the most recent picture of me. I've gone on medication since then.

http://www.whattofix.com/images/SmilingBob.jpg

Interloper
11-04-2010, 7:29 PM
Gay as it sounds; I'm want a Johnson bad.

Thefeeder
11-04-2010, 7:41 PM
These rifles do come up for sale...all you need is cash.

olhunter
11-04-2010, 7:45 PM
BTW, that's not the most recent picture of me. I've gone on medication since then.

You're Smiling Bob the Enzyte Guy ?!?!? Awesome!

wilit
11-04-2010, 7:55 PM
Sorry, mine is mine.

Okay, never knew they made a LMG. What's the story behind it?

WWII collector
11-04-2010, 8:00 PM
My apologies. Would you rather I enter your thread and berate you like every other person on this site?

I would rather you enter my thread and tell me you had a Johnson rifle for sale, I not apposed to humor at all, I just don't understand when someone mentions a Johnson, some people have to giggle, that's all. It happens all on gun boards. I've heard it a hundred times.

WWII collector
11-04-2010, 8:04 PM
Okay, never knew they made a LMG. What's the story behind it?

Don't feel bad, most people don't.

http://world.guns.ru/machine/mg67-e.htm

olhunter
11-04-2010, 8:28 PM
Here ya go...

http://www.gunsamerica.com/967769419/Guns/Rifles/Military-Misc-Rifles-US/M1-Garand/Johnson_1941_LMG_semi_auto.htm

Post pics when it arrives.

"Heh heh, he said Johnson, heh, heh"

One hundred and one.

Interloper
11-04-2010, 8:31 PM
If I'm not mistaken...some Marine units in the Pacific used Johnson rifles and LMG's. I think they were para units?

knucklehead0202
11-04-2010, 8:31 PM
peed a little, started laughing as soon as i saw the thread name, but they are neat rifles.

Rogerbutthead
11-05-2010, 5:00 AM
I always liked the fact that the FSSF - See The Devil's Brigade movie - used them.

http://www.jcs-group.com/military/plymouth/machine.html

Never knew about the Johnson sniper - haven't seen a semi-auto version of the Israeli Johnson.

metalliman545
11-05-2010, 8:08 AM
he is a serious collecter he admitted to paying more then what they are worth because he wants them in another thread

Tanner68
11-05-2010, 8:28 AM
A few Johnsons are available now at Rock Island Auctions. Don't forget to post pics...

WWII collector
11-05-2010, 8:37 AM
An interesting story about the M1941 Johnson semi automatic rifle, not my pee pee. The CIA furnished the Cuban exiles these rifles for the Bay of Pigs invasion, wonder how many Castro has.

WWII collector
11-05-2010, 8:38 AM
he is a serious collecter he admitted to paying more then what they are worth because he wants them in another thread

What good is money if you can't buy something you want or need. At my age, I can't sit around waiting for someone to sell me a m1941 Johnson for 2k.

AngryPossum
11-05-2010, 8:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mievil View Post

I would rather you enter my thread and tell me you had a Johnson rifle for sale, I not apposed to humor at all, I just don't understand when someone mentions a Johnson, some people have to giggle, that's all. It happens all on gun boards. I've heard it a hundred times.

I see WWII collector is at it again...making friends all over this forum!!!:D

WWII collector
11-05-2010, 8:53 AM
I see WWII collector is at it again...making friends all over this forum!!!:D

Just putting to good use what I learned from my Dale Carnegie training course, I got a "D"................:p

metalliman545
11-05-2010, 9:16 AM
Penor

WWII collector
11-05-2010, 9:23 AM
Penor

I've got a 1942 model, but it misfires now and then..............:(

Interloper
11-05-2010, 9:32 AM
I've got a 1942 model, but it misfires now and then..............:(

:eek:

Astig Boy
11-06-2010, 2:11 AM
An interesting story about the M1941 Johnson semi automatic rifle, not my pee pee. The CIA furnished the Cuban exiles these rifles for the Bay of Pigs invasion, wonder how many Castro has.

http://fototime.com/A104C96C8C2AFB7/standard.jpg

:D

KrazyKevy
11-06-2010, 2:36 AM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=246097

WWII collector
11-06-2010, 7:45 AM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=246097

Very nice, how does it shoot ?

phish
11-06-2010, 8:15 AM
If I'm not mistaken...some Marine units in the Pacific used Johnson rifles and LMG's. I think they were para units?

That's what I remember from Jim Scoutten's older American Shooter episode with that rifle. I remember asking about this rifle on another forum years ago and a "seasoned" shooter responded how they were practically giving them away in the surplus ads during the 50s-60s.

WWII collector
11-06-2010, 8:22 AM
That's what I remember from Jim Scoutten's older American Shooter episode with that rifle. I remember asking about this rifle on another forum years ago and a "seasoned" shooter responded how they were practically giving them away in the surplus ads during the 50s-60s.

In a early test, the Johnsons were more accurate than the garand and had less recoil.

WWII collector
11-06-2010, 8:24 AM

In a early test, the Johnsons were more accurate that the Garand and had less recoil. The Marines biggest complaint was, the Johnson had too many small parts that could be dropped and lost were they were field stripping them.

Melvin Johnson campaigned heavily for the adoption of the Johnson rifle by the U.S. Army and other service branches. However, after limited testing, the U.S. Army rejected the Johnson in favor of the M1 Garand rifle developed by Springfield Armory.[2] The M1941 Johnson was ordered by the Netherlands for issue to its troops in the Dutch East Indies, but the Japanese invaded the islands before the rifles could be shipped from California. At this time, the U.S. Marine Corps found itself in need of a modern fast-firing infantry rifle, and acquired some rifles from the Dutch East Indies shipment for issue to its Paramarine battalions then preparing to deploy for action in the Pacific theatre. By all accounts, the M1941 Johnson performed acceptably in combat with the Marines in the early days of the Pacific fighting.

Despite repeated requests to adopt the rifle by the Marine Corps.[3], the Johnson rifle also lacked the support of US Army Ordnance, which had already invested considerable sums in the development of the M1 Garand and its revised gas operating system, then just going into full production. Johnson was successful in selling small quantities of the Johnson Light Machine Gun to the U.S. armed forces, and this weapon was later used by both Para-Marines and the Army's First Special Service Force.[4]

The Johnson rifle was also used in the 1961 Bay of Pigs invasion by the anti-Castro Brigade 2506.

Because it was produced in relatively small quantities the Johnson rifle has become a highly sought-after collectible by WWII collectors looking to complete their collections.

Rogerbutthead
11-06-2010, 9:55 AM
I have a regular Johnson rifle too, but it is a Miltech.

Never fired it as well, since I remember my fiasco breaking my Dragunov and the problems I have had trying to fix it.

WWII collector
11-06-2010, 11:22 AM

Never fired it as well, since I remember my fiasco breaking my Dragunov and the problems I have had trying to fix it.

I hear ya, mine will be a wall hanger too.

oddjob
11-06-2010, 2:50 PM
I got offered one for $4,000.00. Its been reparked and has a crack in the stock near the pistol grip area. Still a good deal? The re-park was my concern.

KrazyKevy
11-06-2010, 8:42 PM

Story of one Johnson used by the Marines.
http://talkingwithclyde.blogspot.com/2008/12/1941-marine-model-johnson-semi.html

Photo of Marines at Camp Elliott San Diego with Johnson rifles.
http://fototime.com/903AD1E61324804/orig.jpg

Very nice, how does it shoot ?

It shoots sweet! Racking the action is still smooth as butter and the sound of the lock up has that solid engagement only these older steel rifles have. :) I love it more then my Garand and 1903A3. If I had to give up all my guns and could only keep one, it would be the 1941 I would keep.

Never fired it as well, since I remember my fiasco breaking my Dragunov and the problems I have had trying to fix it.I hear ya, mine will be a wall hanger too.

I shoot mines every chance I can get. Have put around +500rds with zero issues. Parts are scarce, but not that scarce, you can still find parts. I've got two extra complete mag housings and a lot of replacement parts for mine. :D

KrazyKevy
11-06-2010, 8:55 PM
I got offered one for $4,000.00. Its been reparked and has a crack in the stock near the pistol grip area. Still a good deal? The re-park was my concern.

Repark takes more value away, but it was probably a sporterized winfield and was reparked to bring it back to original...which would be better then having a blued one. As for the crack in the stock, is it a original GI stock? They typically crack if the screws and locking "keys" are not tighten. Stocks are extremely rare if you want an original. They usually sell in the +700 range with no cracks, and that can be minus the forend wood stock. I myself keep a look out and have not seen one in over a year. I only know of one person who makes repro Johnson stocks, which I have and are also not cheap...he is completely out of stocks and I heard he doesn't plan to make anymore any time soon being the demand is extremely low. I'd move on to finding one that is original finish with original stock pieces. They can be had at that price if your patient enough to wait. Gunbroker typically has 3-4 Johnsons selling at a time.

Barabas
11-06-2010, 8:57 PM
I saw four Johnson's at the Big Reno Show today. Three on the floor and one walking around. The prices were all under 3k.

mosinnagantm9130
11-06-2010, 9:11 PM
An interesting story about the M1941 Johnson semi automatic rifle, not my pee pee.

Someone needs to sig this^^

Nodda Duma
11-07-2010, 6:00 AM
Thought the rifle was more expensive to manufacture than the Garand as well, and that was also why US Army Ord didn't sign on.

Quinc
11-07-2010, 6:36 PM
Seen one at the Reno gun show today for 5600. And one on display at the RIA auction booth.

thefifthspeed
11-08-2010, 1:55 AM
I've got a Mint B-series I plan on selling soon. Original 97-98% park, perfect barrel, looks to be all original parts but there are no records of Johnsons (except non-lettered series). This is one of few non-bubba'ed ones left out there.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v198/thefifthspeed/002-3.jpg

Shoot me a PM and we can talk price