PDA

View Full Version : Mosin 91/30 shooting extremely high

BayAreaShooter
11-04-2010, 2:39 PM
Well as the title says my Mosin is shooting extremely high. At 100 yards I have to bury the front sight all the way to the bottom of the rear sight until I can barely see it and on top of that I still have to aim at the bottom of the target just to get a hit in the middle of the target. Is there anything I can do about this. I assume the only way is to make the front sight taller. Has anyone had to do this and what would it take to make the front sight taller. Thank you in advance.

JeePerz
11-04-2010, 2:45 PM
Could it be that your rear sight bent upwards?

Peter.Steele
11-04-2010, 2:47 PM
Couple quick questions: does this have the standard globe and post sight, or is it a blade?

(Reason I ask, some of the Finn 91/30's have a blade instead, and mine is way too low as well - it was just flat out the wrong sight. I had to buy a replacement for it. I got lucky and found the right blade for cheeeeep.)

Anyway. If it's the globe and post ... it's actually easy to fix. Go the store, get yourself some coffee stirrers. Get the kind that are like a little straw. I can't remember the brand that works best, but they slip down over the thing pretty well.

You can also get a small piece of electrical shrink tubing and shrink it onto the sight post. Just cut it pretty long, and then you can trim it back down toward the correct height.

olhunter
11-04-2010, 2:48 PM
This -

http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting/mosinfrontsight/index.asp

And check the suggestions at the bottom for quick-fixes.

Fate
11-04-2010, 2:53 PM
+1 on the coffee stirrer straws.

Also note that heavy ball shoots higher than light ball. Changing your ammo can help.

BayAreaShooter
11-04-2010, 3:01 PM
Thank you everyone for the quick and helpful responses. It is a globe and post sight so it should be easy to fix to according to your responses. If I go the coffee stirring straw route would I need to glue the straw on to the sight or will it fit snug enough to say. Thanks again everyone.

pullnshoot25
11-04-2010, 3:12 PM
Thank you everyone for the quick and helpful responses. It is a globe and post sight so it should be easy to fix to according to your responses. If I go the coffee stirring straw route would I need to glue the straw on to the sight or will it fit snug enough to say. Thanks again everyone.

It fits snug.

You can even replace the post entirely. There is an article on surplusrifle.com for it.

BayAreaShooter
11-10-2010, 12:47 PM
It fits snug.

You can even replace the post entirely. There is an article on surplusrifle.com for it.

I was at the hockey game last night and seen some of those small straws. I grabbed a few to use for the Mosin. Well I cut one to try out and it did not fit snug on the front sight. Any ideas? Should I just glue it on.

Peter.Steele
11-10-2010, 1:05 PM
I was at the hockey game last night and seen some of those small straws. I grabbed a few to use for the Mosin. Well I cut one to try out and it did not fit snug on the front sight. Any ideas? Should I just glue it on.

Try some different kinds. There's one kind that fits just about perfectly.

Failing that, a little heat shrink tubing will work, too. Shrink it on a little long, and then cut to length.

BayAreaShooter
11-10-2010, 2:43 PM
Try some different kinds. There's one kind that fits just about perfectly.

Failing that, a little heat shrink tubing will work, too. Shrink it on a little long, and then cut to length.

I just took some duct tape and wrapped the post, then slid the straw on and it fits tight now. The straw is almost touching the top of the hood but I am pretty sure it will be good because of how high it was shooting before.

Cowboy T
11-10-2010, 3:00 PM
Thanks for these tips, because mine's shooting a bit high, too. I'm going the heatshrink tubing route.

BayAreaShooter
11-10-2010, 7:57 PM
Thanks for these tips, because mine's shooting a bit high, too. I'm going the heatshrink tubing route.

Let us know how it goes.