View Full Version : The C&R Holder amd Average-Joe

11-04-2010, 1:36 PM
What if an average-Joe "non-licensed" CA resident - ME
Wishes to buy a C&R rifle
From another CA resident holding a C&R License - Someone Else
In California ...

What does average-Joe need to do?
What does the C&R License-holder need to do?

How can each be sure of whether or not the other party did what they're supposed to do? In order to have a perfectly legal transaction.

It maybe that this question has been answered somewhere in this sub-section or in another post, but all I'm looking for is for a short clear answers like:

- A copy of your ID
- DROS Fees

Thank you for your time and patience,

11-04-2010, 1:45 PM
If it meets the condition listed below:


"Antique firearms," as defined in Section 921(a)(16) of Title 18 of the United States Code, and curio or relic rifles/shotguns, defined in Section 178.11 of Title 27 of the Code of Federal Regulations that are over 50 years old, are exempt from this requirement.

Then you can just pay for it and take it. Otherwise it has to go through a dealer and DROS fee, FFL fees and all that apply.

It is a good idea, in my opinion, to document where you got it from, just in case there is any questions in the future. There is no requirement though. A copy of their C&R FFL and/or their DL would be useful, but they may not want to give you copies. A receipt is also a good idea.

The C&R FFL should document who they sold it to and getting a copy of your DL would be the normal way. They need to document this in their bound book. You can't be sure that they did everything that they should since to do so you would need to look at their bound book to see that it was entered and then see that they listed that the firearm went to you and then later that they did not change the records.

11-04-2010, 2:19 PM
Thank you very much sir!

Trust -it seems- is of the essence.