PDA

View Full Version : mosin issue with bulgarian 54r

Haggar85
11-04-2010, 11:52 AM
hey guys,
i have a 1942 semi machined 91/30. i was having issues with it so i shimmed it and it works fine, unless its Bulgarian ammo.
So the first round chambers just fine, fires, then wont extract. the spent shell either stays stuck when i pull the bolt all the way back or just slips out of the extractor and kind of half way comes out of the chamber. i have to shake it or flip it out with my finger.
also the Bulgarian jams in the magazine. it will not raise up the next round. it just stays stuck, be it 1, 2 or 4 in the magazine, the sh*t wont feed.
Yugo works just fine as does Hungarian. extracts, feeds just fine. i have not use Russian 54r but i would imagine that it would work.
its 1954 bulgarian yellow tip. i am thinking or ordering up some hungarian or russian some time soon, to replace what i had. i gave the tin to my buddy and he has similar results but only half as frequent in his m44.
any one else have this issue? could it be my shims?

Fate
11-04-2010, 12:06 PM
You have multiple issues at play.

For starters, you have "sticky bolt syndrome". Google that. Easy fix. That will fix your extraction/stuck bolt issues.

As for the magazine feeding issues, the shims you installed might be the source of the feed issues. If your magazine sits further from the action than it's supposed to, it could be forcing the tip of the bullet to catch somewhere before making it into the correct position. Why did you shim it again? What was the issue you were trying to fix?

Your magazine spring might also be worn out and not providing correct tension.

On the other hand, it might just be your interruptor that is not functioning correctly, but you said the issue shows up with only one round in the magazine, so to me, that's less likely to be the source.

Finally, that batch of ammo might be out of spec. I'd try another batch of it before writing off Bulgarian entirely.

Hadesomega
11-04-2010, 12:17 PM
my 91/30 will fire the bulgy stuff fine

stevie
11-04-2010, 12:32 PM
Stop using Bulgarian :43:

Mine rifles handle Bulgi just fine. If your rifle handles the others good, just stick with those.

TRAP55
11-04-2010, 12:36 PM
Bulgarian yellow tip is Heavy ball, and a little on the hot side. The only problem I've had with it, is a few of the primers backing out of the pocket.
Any marks or scratches on the case once you get it out?

Haggar85
11-04-2010, 12:45 PM
i changed the spring in the magazine, replaced the shims with thinner shims. that seemed to remedy the problem a bit. (i love having a day with out the Mrs.)
i think i am having issues with my cartridge interrupter.it seems the interrupter and the interrupter spring and not really a good fit with each other.yugo still feeds properly but i am noticing a hang up with the cartridge interrupter. bulgarian is still not wanting to feed at all and if it does, it still does not want to eject.
my stock might have some thing to do with the interrupters issues, it a 42 stock and a little on the crude side.
i do see a couple of scrapes on the rounds, but i have located them and ill sort those out.
i think this bulgarian it out of spec, but at the time i paid like 9 cents for it so its not that big of a loss.