PDA

View Full Version : Home alarm system

copperhead
11-04-2010, 11:37 AM
Looking into buying a good wireless infared alarm system for my apartment. There have been a few burglaries in my neighborhood within the last few years, not a huge deal, but I have a lot of guns and ammo to protect while I'm not home:eek: (yes I have a gun safe)

I've been looking at a product called the autodialer, but I think it will only link up to a fixed phone line; what I need my alarm to do is stay silent itself and alert my cell phone. Does anyone have any good suggestions? Thanks

89 Vision
11-04-2010, 11:50 PM
Get a medium to large size dog. They can also double as a best friend!

silversix
11-05-2010, 12:21 AM
I've never heard of autodialer. Anyways, I googled it and a wikipedia page popped up and it looks like it works for mobile phones also.

If you want it to stay silent then it should be as simple as opening the unit and disconnecting the wires to the speakers.

Ofcourse I'm just speculating here. I have no idea to be honest with you.

amd64
11-05-2010, 7:00 AM
Get any good wireless home alarm system that can call out on a landline. If you don't have a landline or don't want to use one (i.e. have a system that doesn't depend on a landline), connect it to a Laser Shield Cyclone Cellular Home Alarm Adapter instead of the landline.

You can also use an indoor ip security cam that sends email alerts on motion, but that would probably depend on a hard-wired connection that can also be cut.

Several other ways to do it, but can get more costly and complicated.

mousegun
11-05-2010, 8:40 AM
Get a wireless video surveillance system ('bout 150 bux from Costco). Set it up on an old PC (I use recycled business desktops I get for cheap/free) used as a video server. Get a good Linux distro (Ubuntu, Mint, etc.). Enable motion detection and send your cell phone an email when triggered.

When it triggers you'll have a video record of what did it. If you have an iPad or Netbook, you could SSH into the video server, stream the video to your remote screen and watch 'em rip you off real time.

Could probably do the whole thing for under $250