PDA

View Full Version : Shipping to an ffl with only the ffl# and not copy of fll

shooting4life
11-04-2010, 9:19 AM
I have been contacted by someone wanting to buy a rifle I have for sale. They are wanting my rifle to be shipped to a gunsmith out of state. They are telling me that they can send me the ffl numberthat I can verify on the ATF website but that they normally do not actually send out copies of the ffl like I have received in the past when selling other rifles.
Can someone shed some light if this is ok or can I only ship with a signed copy/fax/electronic copy of the ffl.
Thanks for your help.

jksupplyco
11-04-2010, 9:58 AM
You can utilize the ATF EZ-Check to verify the status of the lic with the lic number. Many FFLs will not provide a hard copy of their license to a non-FFL. You can print the verification page for your records, and it is totally acceptable, the FFL is under no obligation to provide you an actual copy of the license.

shooting4life
11-04-2010, 10:38 AM
Thank you for the clarification on this. Always had a hard/electronic copy in the past and whenever someone online wants somethin done different than everything I have read it throughs up red flags. That and being a ca gun owner has made me paranoid.

kemasa
11-04-2010, 11:41 AM
The BATF says to FFLs to not give a copy of their license to non-FFLs. Some FFLs will still give out copies, others will not. Even if you get a copy you should check the status on the BATF ezcheck web page.

As was said, there is no requirement for a non-FFL to have a copy of the FFL.