View Full Version : Shipping to an ffl with only the ffl# and not copy of fll

11-04-2010, 9:19 AM
I have been contacted by someone wanting to buy a rifle I have for sale. They are wanting my rifle to be shipped to a gunsmith out of state. They are telling me that they can send me the ffl numberthat I can verify on the ATF website but that they normally do not actually send out copies of the ffl like I have received in the past when selling other rifles.
Can someone shed some light if this is ok or can I only ship with a signed copy/fax/electronic copy of the ffl.
Thanks for your help.

11-04-2010, 9:58 AM
You can utilize the ATF EZ-Check to verify the status of the lic with the lic number. Many FFLs will not provide a hard copy of their license to a non-FFL. You can print the verification page for your records, and it is totally acceptable, the FFL is under no obligation to provide you an actual copy of the license.

11-04-2010, 10:38 AM
Thank you for the clarification on this. Always had a hard/electronic copy in the past and whenever someone online wants somethin done different than everything I have read it throughs up red flags. That and being a ca gun owner has made me paranoid.

11-04-2010, 11:41 AM
The BATF says to FFLs to not give a copy of their license to non-FFLs. Some FFLs will still give out copies, others will not. Even if you get a copy you should check the status on the BATF ezcheck web page.

As was said, there is no requirement for a non-FFL to have a copy of the FFL.