PDA

View Full Version : recommend a muzzle loader gunsmith in the south bay?

Whiterabbit
11-03-2010, 8:46 PM
I have a buddy with a flintlock muzzle loader, he won't take it out till he finds a gunsmith to give it a once over, make sure everything is all good inside. Any recommendations for folks in the bay who specialize in this sort of thing, or have special expertise in muzzle loading examinations?

frankm
11-04-2010, 9:45 PM
Sorry no one can help so far. I'd probably check gun stores in his area to see who sells blackpowder stuff and see who they know. Maybe a regular gunsmith can do it. He just has to inspect the barrel, etc.

Captain Cogle
11-04-2010, 11:29 PM
All that should require any inspection of any kind is the barrel and any gun smith should be able to do that for you.

FS00008
11-05-2010, 12:06 AM
@Captain Cogle, dont' forget the lock.

@OP, DVGW in Pleasant Hill has a Muzzleloading/black powder expert. If you come in, ask for Mitch.

kendog4570
11-05-2010, 7:30 AM
I have a buddy with a flintlock muzzle loader, he won't take it out till he finds a gunsmith to give it a once over, make sure everything is all good inside. Any recommendations for folks in the bay who specialize in this sort of thing, or have special expertise in muzzle loading examinations?

I can do it for you. Building, repairing, and competing with traditional muzzle loaders for 20+ years. PM me and we can go over it.

Captain Cogle
11-05-2010, 10:57 AM
@Captain Cogle, dont' forget the lock.

@OP, DVGW in Pleasant Hill has a Muzzleloading/black powder expert. If you come in, ask for Mitch.

Why should the lock require inspection? You can do that you're self. Any one can feel the springs to see if they are strong and properly in place. Flintlocks are not a complex mechanism.

Pull the cock back to half cock position and pull lightly on the trigger. It should remain in the half cock position. Then lightly tap the back of the cock with the palm of you're hand. You will be able to feel if the timing is off of if the piece is slipping from where its locked into.

Further take the lock off and make sure its clean and oiled inside.

I say again the only thing that should require the expertise of a gunsmith to ensure the gun is SAFE for you and those around you to fire is the barrel.

But what do I know? I only own 6 flintlocks, 2 matchlocks, a Snaphaunce, a wheellock and 4 percussion arms of various shapes and sizes.:p

Who is the gun purchased from?

kendog4570
11-05-2010, 11:29 AM
He wanted a "once over". That's lock, stock, and barrel. He's willing to pay a smith to do it. Smart move with an unkown piece.