PDA

View Full Version : USPS form 1508 question?

Table Rock Arms
11-03-2010, 6:46 PM
Any of you guys using USPS to ship handguns? Do I put my info on the top of the form and then put my address and the receiving FFL's address under the addresses on parcels section? Never filled one out, and would like to have it filled out correctly when I show up to the post office.

Ryan

Table Rock Arms
11-03-2010, 7:05 PM
Meant to post this in the FFL forum, Can this be moved?

QuarterBoreGunner
11-03-2010, 7:10 PM
Meant to post this in the FFL forum, Can this be moved?

But of course.

jtmkinsd
11-03-2010, 8:10 PM
Any of you guys using USPS to ship handguns? Do I put my info on the top of the form and then put my address and the receiving FFL's address under the addresses on parcels section? Never filled one out, and would like to have it filled out correctly when I show up to the post office.

Ryan

Your business address on the top, receiving FFL's name and address in the large area in the middle, your business name lower left, your printed name and title below that, and your signature in the signature box in the lower right corner :D

Also, it can go with your outgoing mail...you don't need to go to the post office...unless you don't have postage set up...I use stamps.com...real time saver :D

kemasa
11-04-2010, 8:07 AM
Your business address is not required and there is no place to put it. There is no place to print your name either.

The top line is the City, State and Zip code where you are shipping it from, and then the date.

The second section is the address on the package(s), who it is being shipped to.

The last section is your firm name, your signature and title.

The rest is filled out by the post office staff.

http://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c4_009.htm

As to whether you need to drop it off or not, it says:

The form must be filed with the postmaster of the post office of mailing.

I am not sure of what exactly this means and whether you can file it by giving it to the mail carrier or not. It would be best to check with your local post office.

jtmkinsd
11-04-2010, 11:20 AM
My mistake...by "business address" I meant City, State, and zip...Signature block in lower right corner should be left blank...as far as the carrier picking up...been doing business that way for several years...just hand the carrier the box with the form...best to ask the carrier first so he knows what's up.

Table Rock Arms
11-04-2010, 11:38 AM
My mistake...by "business address" I meant City, State, and zip

What if you ard out of town. Say you go to a gun show out of your area and you get an order for a gun that you have with you. Do you put your city stte and zip or the one of the post office you send it from?

kemasa
11-04-2010, 11:47 AM
I have not seen anything which limits you from mailing it from you home location and it does not say whether it is your home city or where you are mailing it from. I suspect it is where you are mailing it from, but that is a guess.

The only other issue with your questions is in regards to filling out your bound book in a timely manner.

jtmkinsd
11-04-2010, 12:42 PM
What if you ard out of town. Say you go to a gun show out of your area and you get an order for a gun that you have with you. Do you put your city stte and zip or the one of the post office you send it from?

That's an interesting question and I have to admit I don't know...Generally at gun shows there is a local FFL available to do transfers and they take possession of the firearm on-site...no shipping is required...if someone is there from out of town and wants to purchase a firearm and have it shipped to an FFL near them, I would probably take the firearm back to my shop...wait for a copy of the receiving FFL's license, and ship from there.

Table Rock Arms
11-04-2010, 1:24 PM
I have not seen anything which limits you from mailing it from you home location and it does not say whether it is your home city or where you are mailing it from. I suspect it is where you are mailing it from, but that is a guess.

The only other issue with your questions is in regards to filling out your bound book in a timely manner.

Looks like no problem as I just shipped one from out of town. I filled out the city, state, and zip of the location I sent it from. As for the bound book, I have someone I trust that will log guns in and out of my bound books when I am away. I only have him do it with me on the phone to make sure it gets done right, and I have not had a problem. all I have to do is call.

Ryan

jtmkinsd
11-04-2010, 4:19 PM
I don't do business outside of California...so I forget all the good things one can do in the "free states"...like actually take home a firearm from a gun show :rolleyes:

GetBulletsandBrass
11-11-2010, 8:24 PM
Unless I'm missing something, I was under the impression that all handguns must be shipped via air through a parcel carrier like UPS, FedEx and all firearms, ammunition was prohibited via USPS. Long-guns are ok to ship via ground.

Table Rock Arms
11-11-2010, 9:32 PM
Unless I'm missing something, I was under the impression that all handguns must be shipped via air through a parcel carrier like UPS, FedEx and all firearms, ammunition was prohibited via USPS. Long-guns are ok to ship via ground.

As an FFL you can ship handguns USPS as long as you fill out form 1508 for each shipment. Only certain shipping methods can be used. I forget which ones those are. I usually use priority mail. Much cheaper than UPS or FedEx. It might be a bit of a hassle the first time you try it if your post office has never done such a thing before, but if you persist you will get it done.

Ryan

Table Rock Arms
11-11-2010, 9:34 PM
Forgot to mention in my last post. You are correct, loaded ammo is a no go with USPS.

Ryan

GetBulletsandBrass
11-11-2010, 9:47 PM
Ryan, thank you for the info. I learn something new everyday.

Capt. Speirs
11-12-2010, 6:41 AM
Has anyone noticed that they never ask for credentials, I was amazed at how little info they require. I don't see the point in this form, anyone could do it.

Eagle Armory
11-12-2010, 7:11 AM
Has anyone noticed that they never ask for credentials, I was amazed at how little info they require. I don't see the point in this form, anyone could do it.

I like it when they go "what do I do with this?" you tell them to sign it and stamp it, then they try to hand it back to you, and you have to tell them to keep it.

kemasa
11-12-2010, 9:15 AM
It is always fun to get a new person with the form. The form is supposed to go to the post master. They make paper airplanes out of it for all I know, but actually I suspect they keep it in case the package is lost and if there is no form, then you might have a problem.

You do not need a 1508 for each shipment. The form says:

Addresses on Parcels (Use reverse side or attach additional blank sheets if more space is required)

You don't put multiple different addresses on multiple parcels :-).

There are restrictions as to who can send handguns using USPS. In general, you need to be a FFL.

From that I heard, UPS changed the requirement to go with a more expensive service just before they were going public, in order to increase the profits and increase the stock price. FedEx followed as that want to make money too, although they would have made a lot of money from people switching from UPS. I have also heard that some of the "rules" don't apply to all, such as only shipping one handgun per package, but you have to be big enough to allow for an exemption.

GetBulletsandBrass
11-14-2010, 8:41 AM
I'm thinking I'll spend the few extra bucks on Ops or Fedup only because I've seen my mail-carriers try to jam a box that 6 inches wide into a 4 inch mail box one time too many. The don't seem to get the round hole and square peg concept.

kemasa
11-14-2010, 8:54 AM
All of the carriers have issues. Personally, I don't want to give the money to UPS or FedEx because they are greedy liars. Their excuse for why expensive services are required just don't make sense, plus they allow large shippers to send more than one handgun per package, but the average person has to send it in two packages, making each package easier to steal, as well as being much more expensive.

The bottom line is that if ALL FFLs were to ship USPS rather than UPS or FedEx then they might change their rules.

I have had boxes put in my post office box which fit from the back, but can not be removed from the front. It is a bit funny, except when you want to get the package.

Capt. Speirs
11-15-2010, 6:27 PM
I'm thinking I'll spend the few extra bucks on Ops or Fedup only because I've seen my mail-carriers try to jam a box that 6 inches wide into a 4 inch mail box one time too many. The don't seem to get the round hole and square peg concept.

Try 3 times as much.

GoingQuiet
11-16-2010, 4:20 PM

Not only am I asked for my license almost every time - I'm given a hard time because what I'm doing is completely illegal and my form is a forgery of some internet tomfoolery.

GoingQuiet
11-16-2010, 4:21 PM
All of the carriers have issues. Personally, I don't want to give the money to UPS or FedEx because they are greedy liars. Their excuse for why expensive services are required just don't make sense, plus they allow large shippers to send more than one handgun per package, but the average person has to send it in two packages, making each package easier to steal, as well as being much more expensive.

The bottom line is that if ALL FFLs were to ship USPS rather than UPS or FedEx then they might change their rules.

I have had boxes put in my post office box which fit from the back, but can not be removed from the front. It is a bit funny, except when you want to get the package.

You are able to send more than one gun in one package. Where did you hear this?

Table Rock Arms
11-16-2010, 7:36 PM
You are able to send more than one gun in one package. Where did you hear this?

He was referring to UPS letting certain shippers send more than one handgun per package while the rest of us can't. This I know happens for a fact as I generally order more than one handgun at a time from my distributor and they always show up on one box.

GoingQuiet
11-16-2010, 7:40 PM
He was referring to UPS letting certain shippers send more than one handgun per package while the rest of us can't. This I know happens for a fact as I generally order more than one handgun at a time from my distributor and they always show up on one box.

I've never heard of UPS limiting shippers to one handgun to a box. If that is the case, they're about to lose bigtime. I'm currently running almost everything through the post office and I'm getting with an account rep to get on an incentive program.

If they don't let me fly two guns to a box - I'm going to call Fedex and see who wants my business.

The moral of the story is - ask. Most people just read the book and shrug. Once you start moving product you can negotiate your rate.

gunenvy
11-17-2010, 6:29 AM
Thats pretty funny, not allowing more then one gun per box. I think our record delivery was 12 Taurus TCPs in one box, heck when we order in Stag rifles we often receive them as a single "box" which is actually two taped together by the sender.

There is of course no restriction on how many can be in one box.

gunenvy
11-17-2010, 6:31 AM
Not only am I asked for my license almost every time - I'm given a hard time because what I'm doing is completely illegal and my form is a forgery of some internet tomfoolery.

We met with the manager at our local branch and sat down with him, he took care the next week of training all the counter staff for us so it wouldn't be a hassle. Now we actually get referral work from the post office :)

kemasa
11-17-2010, 9:59 AM
They might have changed the rules since I just looked and I do not see the limit of one handgun per box, but it does say for UPS that the box must be new.

http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/resources/ship/packaging/guidelines/firearms.html

jtmkinsd
11-17-2010, 10:23 AM
I've never heard of UPS limiting shippers to one handgun to a box. If that is the case, they're about to lose bigtime. I'm currently running almost everything through the post office and I'm getting with an account rep to get on an incentive program.

If they don't let me fly two guns to a box - I'm going to call Fedex and see who wants my business.

The moral of the story is - ask. Most people just read the book and shrug. Once you start moving product you can negotiate your rate.

I've received as many as 16 Sigs from the factory in one box through UPS...most I've ever shipped at once is 6 IIRC.

Eagle Armory
11-18-2010, 8:11 AM

I didn't know the USPS had an incentive program. Have any details or how to go about getting setup?

GoingQuiet
11-18-2010, 11:03 AM
I didn't know the USPS had an incentive program. Have any details or how to go about getting setup?

USPS does not have an incentive program. UPS does. Call your account manager.