PDA

View Full Version : I think I'm ready for my second gun....

cohiba
06-16-2006, 1:16 AM
Hey guys-

So here’s the deal. I bought my first handgun (first gun of any type) a little over six months ago. Got a Glock 21….and I love it. I’ve been having a great time with it. So here’s the problem, now I’m pretty sure I want a rifle. Thing is, I know even less about rifle options than I did about handguns when I bought my Glock. So I’m hoping some of you can help shed some light on what I might want.

First off…I have absolutely no real need or use for this gun. It’s strictly for good times. If I happen to find a use for it along the line…all the better. I’m completely lost when I see people talk about buying different parts and I guess building their own. Not so much what the parts are…but what I can legally get. I want cool, I want fun….2k is probably where I max out with the $$. In the stores, I’ve been looking at Springfield’s M1A, the CZ 750, kel-tecs, and bushmasters. I’ve shot them all, I like them all. I’m just wondering if there is ever cooler stuff out there if I learn more about this buying part by part. So as I understand things…a there is absolutely no way at all to buy a .50 anymore…so aside from that…where do I look for cool. Or where do I go to learn more. I read a lot of the threads here, but I’m lost with many of the more obscure (to a noob) references.

So there ya go…any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!!

Altahick
06-16-2006, 1:31 AM
i would probably go with the m1a, because ive been wantin one for a long time, the kel-tec su 16ca is a prety neat gun, fairly cheap and fun to shoot, but it feels kinda cheap, and theres always m1 garands, m1 carbines, sks, and ruger mini 14, and mini 30, but thats up to u if u want to support ruger alot of people on here boycott ruger, i tend to stay away from ruger too. but good luck with watever rifle u end up geting, i wish i had 2k to spend on a new gun.

mr2.0
06-16-2006, 1:32 AM
Buy an SKS: cheap, fun and perfectly legal.

Altahick
06-16-2006, 1:40 AM

i second this, if u want a cheap, butt realible fun gun, but if i had the dough to spend i would still rather have the m1a, since i already have a sks!

PLINK
06-16-2006, 2:36 AM
The CA legal .223 self loading rifle is the most fun gun I have ever owned. It is easy to clean, easy to build and ammo is cheap. You can have a very nice accurate rifle for as low as $750 (if not lower). If you want to go this route now is the time but you must do your homework first to see if it is right for you.

I always wanted an M1A but never could bring myself to fork over the cash. SKS is a nice, cheap, legal shooter as stated above. M1 Cabine is fun and the ammo is not too bad but not a long distance accurate rifle. You could also never go wrong with a 10/22 which is fun and very cheap to shoot. A .38/.357 lever action would be cool to have especially if you want a revolver at some point.

leelaw
06-16-2006, 5:01 AM

Not according to the DOJ memo's definition of "detachable magazine" ;)

The CA-legal .223 is a fine firearm. If you were closer I'd invite you to the range to try one befor eyou make up your mind. See if you have any friends who would be willing to help you. If it's not for you, the FAL is an excellent choice, and the .308 lets you reach out a little more.

cornholio1
06-16-2006, 5:41 AM
Hey guys-

So here’s the deal. I bought my first handgun (first gun of any type) a little over six months ago. Got a Glock 21….and I love it. I’ve been having a great time with it. So here’s the problem, now I’m pretty sure I want a rifle. Thing is, I know even less about rifle options than I did about handguns when I bought my Glock. So I’m hoping some of you can help shed some light on what I might want.

First off…I have absolutely no real need or use for this gun. It’s strictly for good times. If I happen to find a use for it along the line…all the better. I’m completely lost when I see people talk about buying different parts and I guess building their own. Not so much what the parts are…but what I can legally get. I want cool, I want fun….2k is probably where I max out with the $$. In the stores, I’ve been looking at Springfield’s M1A, the CZ 750, kel-tecs, and bushmasters. I’ve shot them all, I like them all. I’m just wondering if there is ever cooler stuff out there if I learn more about this buying part by part. So as I understand things…a there is absolutely no way at all to buy a .50 anymore…so aside from that…where do I look for cool. Or where do I go to learn more. I read a lot of the threads here, but I’m lost with many of the more obscure (to a noob) references.

So there ya go…any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!!

Build an AR15. Got the cool factor your looking for plus you can build it part by part.

ivanimal
06-16-2006, 7:22 AM
Build a Cali legal AR and put premium optics on it 2K should do it.

Mesa Tactical
06-16-2006, 7:28 AM
i second this, if u want a cheap, butt realible fun gun, but if i had the dough to spend i would still rather have the m1a, since i already have a sks!

Thirded. There is no better fun per dollar value in the firearms world than the SKS. And they are a little bit of history, too, far more than a commercial rifle.

A California legal AR-15 has to be broken open for reloading every ten rounds, or maybe you set it up without a grip so it can't be held properly. More use as a wall-hanger than an actual rifle you take out and shoot again and again and again.

Since you are happy to admit you just want this rifle for fun and aren't trying to pretend it's necessary for you to properly meet the Apocalypse, also consider a lever action. These are absolutely the most fun you can have with firearms. Someone posted here that Marlin 94s are on sale right now at Big 5 for under $400.

Also, consider a .22. Cheap to buy and cheap to shoot. There are a few really nice .22 lever actions from Marlin and Henry, and of course the ubiquitous Ruger 10/22 semi-auto.

If you have time, borrow a centerfire rifle to do the match and the CMP paperwork and get yourself a GI M1 Garand before they are all gone: http://www.odcmp.com/Services/Rifles/m1garand.htm Now there's a great piece of history and a fine shooter. Only problem is it's difficult to fine non-ferrous .30-06 ammunition anymore. You can find M1s at gun shows, but the best price for a real GI M1 is usually from the CMP. They ship right to your door, Lockyer be damned!

glen avon
06-16-2006, 8:29 AM
$2,000??? we got good times ahead.

Yugo SKS. $250

used polytech M1A $800

lever action .30-30 or .44 mag $400

M1 Garand from CMP $550

these are OTD prices, you can have all of the above for $2000. Mesa is right about the CMP, as the will run out of service grades in the not to distant future, get that one first. bide your time for the polytech, and you will find a very nice one for $800-ish. the lever action goes on sale at Big 5 regularly. they are on sale now, actually.

PLINK
06-16-2006, 8:44 AM
A California legal AR-15 has to be broken open for reloading every ten rounds, or maybe you set it up without a grip so it can't be held properly. More use as a wall-hanger than an actual rifle you take out and shoot again and again and again.

IMO I would say very few are wall hangers if they are assembled rifles.

pepsi2451
06-16-2006, 10:24 AM
I agree with Glen, if its your second gun think about getting few cheaper guns. I would at least get an AR lower just in case they list.