PDA

View Full Version : Mosin 91/30 sight in

Crawfish141
11-02-2010, 11:33 PM
I've heard that the Mosin 91/30 rifles were sighted in with the bayonet affixed. If this is true, how far off are they usually with the bayonet removed?

What is the procedure for getting it zeroed without the bayonet?

novalondon
11-02-2010, 11:37 PM
Only the M-44 was sighted in with the bayo extended. Harmonics of the barrel and bayo when it is folded casued some of the M-44s to be way off.

Milsurp Collector
11-03-2010, 12:43 AM
Only the M-44 was sighted in with the bayo extended. Harmonics of the barrel and bayo when it is folded casued some of the M-44s to be way off.

Q. My M91/30 bayonet is numbered to the rifle, but it won't fit on the muzzle, why is that?

A. Soviet military doctrine called for the bayonet to remain fixed to the rifle at all times with the exception of traveling by motor vehicle or when in long term storage.

http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinFAQ.htm

Since it was Soviet doctrine that the bayonet was to be fixed (for those Mosins that used a bayonet), it is logical to assume that all Soviet Mosins that used a bayonet were sighted in with the bayonet fixed. It wouldn't make sense to zero the rifle with no bayonet when standard practice was for the bayonet to be fixed.

Scratch705
11-03-2010, 1:18 AM
that answer didn't answer the question... cause i got the same issue. my bayo does not fit over my mosin's muzzle. so unless i get a lathe or something to remove some material from the bayo, that thing is never going on.

metalliman545
11-03-2010, 6:26 AM
how about you sand the inside diameter of the bayonet a little bit? and probably a few inches. mine shoot about 4inches left 2 down at about 100 meters, but i have an m91 not a 91/30

Milsurp Collector
11-03-2010, 7:55 AM
that answer didn't answer the question... cause i got the same issue. my bayo does not fit over my mosin's muzzle. so unless i get a lathe or something to remove some material from the bayo, that thing is never going on.

I edited the quote because I was just addressing the point about zeroing the rifle with the bayonet attached. Here is the complete answer:

Q. My M91/30 bayonet is numbered to the rifle, but it won't fit on the muzzle, why is that?

A. Soviet military doctrine called for the bayonet to remain fixed to the rifle at all times with the exception of traveling by motor vehicle or when in long term storage. The bayonet will go on, but it will be a very tight fit and will be difficult to remove. This is good for charging infantry, but not collectors. The inside of the bayonet socket can be opened slightly with a dowel wrapped with sandpaper to make fixing and removal easier.

Peter.Steele
11-03-2010, 8:52 AM

Not so. 91/30's (assuming they were issued with a bayonet) and M44's were both sighted in with the bayonet attached. That's why 91/30 bayonets are serialized.

My M44 and my 29 Tula both shoot to the left with the bayonet un-fixed. At 100 yards, one of them is 6" @ 10:30, the other is 6" at 8:30. Problem is, I can't remember which one was which. (My other 91/30's were not sighted in with a bayonet, and I've never tried shooting with one.)

6mmintl
11-03-2010, 2:42 PM
How about throwing the worthless POS bayonet away and concentrate on sight alignment and trigger control?

Or rework the baynet and work over the holloween mannequin?

Seriously, good shooting is all about sight alignment and trigger control and decent ammo, bore condition and muzzle crown are as important.

Sight in without the Bayo and hope you never have to engage in CQC.