PDA

View Full Version : Worst case scenario

waddlingweezol
11-02-2010, 4:55 PM
If the anti gun politicians get elected, and they were to place another gun ban, how long would it take for that ban to go into effect? Can a ban go into effect over night? Or do they give us a heads up a few months or so before.

I'm saving up some money to buy a couple of rifles but I'm getting a little paranoid that they might get banned before I have to chance to order them. I should have the money in 3 weeks to a month but If I don't have enough time, then I can go with the slightly cheaper ones that I can afford right now.

Sorry, as you can tell I am not the most familiar with how laws can work, I know it was a stupid question to most people but please bear with me if the info is somewhere around here, I must have missed it.

And one more thing, about the new ammo ban coming. First, we cannot order ammo online after February 1st, correct? I heard somewhere that it was January. Second, will we still be able to buy ammo at gun shows? In bulk and so on. And last, the new ammo law doesn't affect the online purchasing of firearms does it?

Thanks everyone

Dexster
11-02-2010, 4:56 PM
Generally you have a bit of time (around 6 months to a year) but I really don't think there is any chance that will be happening anytime soon... at least for 2 years :)

Robidouxs
11-02-2010, 4:58 PM
Feb 1st is coming quick, join the reloading club and get a Dillon progressive press! There are no limitations of any sort on the amount of reloading "components" you can have.

Dexster
11-02-2010, 4:58 PM
As far as ammo, you can't purchase online (i thought it was January.) Ammo at gun shows will still be possible from what I understand and even out of state. The new ammo law does not impact online purchasing of firearms since you still have to go through the same process as if you are purchasing it from a shop.

stix213
11-02-2010, 5:14 PM
Rifle ammo isnt covered under the mail order ammo ban. Its still ambiguous as to what pistol ammo legally is defined as. I wouldnt worry about any new gun bans in the very near future. The winds are actually blowing in the opposite direction.

waddlingweezol
11-03-2010, 12:57 AM
Ok thanks. Now I was actually going to start reloading, I've been thinking about it for a while, but now its certain. I'm completely new to reloading so know very little about it.

I did some reading online and I even read the "reloading 101" thread here and it was helpful. I hear a lot of good things about the dillon press, but it is expensive. From what I saw it was not a single stage correct? Is it better for me to start with a single stage? Or would I be fine with the Dillon?

I also heard some good things about the Forster Coax, would that be a better choice? I know that it is a single stage as opposed to the Dillon but it is cheaper.

I would need to reload 9mm, 44 mag, 308, 223/5.56, 357 mag, 357 sig, 40 s&w, and 7.62x39 and 5.45x39, but the last two are for ak and I heard it's not really "efficient" to reload ammo for an ak. Something about the casing getting too damaged.

Would I be able to reload those using a Forster Coax or one of the Dillon presses? Or is there some other one to look into? I want to get it right the first time so I rather pay a little more and not have any problems, at the same time i've never reloaded ammo before so I don't want to get something too sophisticated.

If anyone has any experience with these I'd like to hear some advice
Thanks a lot, you've been helpful answering my questions

wildhawker
11-03-2010, 1:01 AM
Relax everyone, AB962 will be going away soon.

oni.dori
11-03-2010, 1:52 AM

I like this guy!! :D

noob_tube
11-03-2010, 2:09 AM

In 2 weeks? :D

hvengel
11-03-2010, 11:46 AM
Ok thanks. Now I was actually going to start reloading, I've been thinking about it for a while, but now its certain. I'm completely new to reloading so know very little about it.

I did some reading online and I even read the "reloading 101" thread here and it was helpful. I hear a lot of good things about the dillon press, but it is expensive. From what I saw it was not a single stage correct? Is it better for me to start with a single stage? Or would I be fine with the Dillon?

I also heard some good things about the Forster Coax, would that be a better choice? I know that it is a single stage as opposed to the Dillon but it is cheaper.

I would need to reload 9mm, 44 mag, 308, 223/5.56, 357 mag, 357 sig, 40 s&w, and 7.62x39 and 5.45x39, but the last two are for ak and I heard it's not really "efficient" to reload ammo for an ak. Something about the casing getting too damaged.

Would I be able to reload those using a Forster Coax or one of the Dillon presses? Or is there some other one to look into? I want to get it right the first time so I rather pay a little more and not have any problems, at the same time i've never reloaded ammo before so I don't want to get something too sophisticated.

If anyone has any experience with these I'd like to hear some advice
Thanks a lot, you've been helpful answering my questions

I started out with a simple single stage press many years ago. I still use it to reload rifle ammo for things like hunting rifles (IE. bolt action and single shot rifles where the volume of ammo used is not large) even though I also have a progressive press now. Single stage presses are very simple devices and I think the fact that they force you to go slower is a good thing when you are trying to load ammo for high accuracy use. I also think this is a good thing for beginners. In addition to the press you need other things like case trimmers, scales, calipers, case tumbler... that are the same regardless of what type of press you get and the dies will be the same in either case as well (you likely spend as much or more on dies and other needed items as you will for a press). This makes it possible to start with a simple single stage press and then move up to a progressive press later since most of your other equipment will work for either type of press.

But for pistol ammo and ammo for semi-autos I prefer a progressive press simply because of the much faster rate of production. With one of these you can crank out reloads in large qualities. With my progressive I can reload perhaps 500 to 600 9mm reloads per hour and if I push things hard I can do about 800 per hour. I think all of the Dillon units are progressive presses.

Judging from your list of calibers you probably want to get a progressive press. You should start out with a caliber that does not have a shoulder (9mm, .40 S&W, 44mag...) as these are easier to load and it is easier to setup the press for these. The main thing is to go slow at first and make sure that everything you do is safe and that you double (and triple) check things.

Markus
11-03-2010, 12:07 PM
In 2 weeks? :D

What is happening in two weeks??

Reductio
11-03-2010, 12:15 PM

:jump:

I've got better things than a reloading press to be spending money on anyhow. =P

spetsnaz
11-03-2010, 1:18 PM
they can ban what they want but we can still move out of here.

Kid Stanislaus
11-03-2010, 1:43 PM
they can ban what they want but we can still move out of here.

We can also take a leisurely trip across the Sierra Nevada, do a bit of playing in Reno or Las Vegas, and buy all the ammo we want in a free state. ;)

M. D. Van Norman
11-03-2010, 1:47 PM
Worst case scenario? War.

chris
11-03-2010, 2:30 PM

Hearing this from you is music to my ears.

nrandell
11-04-2010, 11:37 AM
psssh...gun bans are so 90s

schnellfeuer300
11-04-2010, 1:39 PM

Don't take this the wrong way but...

...I think I love you.

Cali-Shooter
11-04-2010, 1:42 PM
psssh...gun bans are so 90s

Can I get an Amen to that? ;)