PDA

View Full Version : A Couple of Questions from the new guy

DV_emt
11-02-2010, 2:55 PM
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum, but not new to shooting. I had a few questions after browsing the forum a bit about the whole .223 AR ban and how people "get around it".

Now I personally like shooting the .223 due to its lightweight frame, minimal recoil, and versatility, but it seems as though AR in California are tough to get unless you get a Mini 14 or a Kel Tec and convert it over to a pistol grip. even then I've heard that there is a lot of recoil due to the plastic frame of the Kel Tec.

I've read that purchasing a disassembled .223 AR is "legal" in the California, but its illegal once assembled. Anyone have any input on this matter.

I have seen a few people post up pics of their .223 and would like to know how this can be achieved in such a restrictive state as California is.

Thanks in advance! :)

killshot44
11-02-2010, 3:11 PM
Welcome to Calguns! Everything you want to know can be found here, either in the AW/OLL Guide tab above or by using the Search feature (use the "google" option, there are two search features).

The short story on AR-style rifles in California is that users add a "Bullet-Button" which prevents the magazine from being detachable without using a tool - effectively creating a non-detachable magazine semi-automatic rifle which is not subject to the many restrictions. Another alternative is a "Featureless" rifle. Search away.

Merc1138
11-02-2010, 3:14 PM
Umm, I suggest looking around in this forum, probably 50% or more of the threads in here are about people purchasing their AR, upgrading their AR, or just showing off their AR.

You can't convert a mini14 or keltec to an AR.

An assembled AR is not illegal in California.

I could walk into any of 4 local gunshops right now and buy an assembled AR off the shelf(well, my wallet might not like that), or I could be a stripped lower receiver and build my own.

Use the OLL guide at the top of the page to get started, prepare to do a lot of reading(well, it's not even really that much reading, just do it).

Veggie
11-02-2010, 3:18 PM
The ban on AR-15 rifles are by brand name. So if you buy/build one from a different brand (only the brand on the lower receiver matters.) you are good to go as long as you either have a bullet button type device or go featureless. Other laws like NFA and OAL still apply. Also their is the magazine capacity law to obey.

stix213
11-02-2010, 3:21 PM
AR-15 type rifles are legal in CA as long as they are in a proper configuration and the lower receiver isn't specifically on the decade old banned list.

The proper configuration is handled in one of two ways, either with a detachable mag and no evil features, such as pistol grip, flash hider, vertical grip, etc.... or with the more common "bullet button" and 10 or less round fixed magazine. See AW & OLL Guides links at the top of the page for more specific info.

The pic of the two below rifles of mine are perfectly legal in CA, as they are configured with fixed 10 round mags (in high capacity mag bodies, we call them 10/30's around here).

http://img830.imageshack.us/img830/4330/misc097.jpg

mikaarce
11-02-2010, 3:55 PM
Welcome! Search on the forums and slowly pick what you like. Featureless or w the bullet button.

Don29palms
11-02-2010, 4:00 PM
The rifle in my signature is Kalifornia legal.

Average Joe American
11-02-2010, 4:36 PM
Just follow the the basic rules that you can find on this site and you can play Joe tactical all day long with an AR15. Its not hard.

Option 1 get one that's not on the ban list, slap on a bullet button, 10 round mag and taa daa! You can keep all the evil parts on!

Or option 2, take off the evil parts (flash hider, pistol grip) and you can use the magazine release on those 10 round mags.

r6raff
11-02-2010, 4:37 PM
It is remarkably easy to build a legal ar15 in california. You need to just follow a few guide lines in order to not become a felon.

First, you need to get an OffListLower, back when the AW ban was enacted, it banned specific manufactures and models by name. Those are AW simply by being named so. There are a multitude of OLL available, Stag, spikes, sundevil, Bushmaster CF, BCM, etc...

Second.

From here you have 2 directions,

A. featureless build ie. no pistol grip, no flash suppressor, no vertical fore grip, no adjustible stock... the pros of this build is that you can have a standard magazine release button and a 30rnd magazine (if owned prior to 2000)

B. A featured build, an AR with a pistol grip, with a flash hider... etc. The cons to this build are, you can only have a 10rnd max cap magazine that is "fixed". A Fixed magazine is accomplished by installing a bullet button. What a bullet button does is disable the ability to drop the magazine with your finger alone. You must use a tool to remove the magazine, as defines by the terms of a Detachable Magazine, a bullet is considered a tool, thusly came to birth the "bullet Button"

Third.

Now after this you must make sure that your weapon has a minimum length of 30 inches, now this is from the buttplate of your stock (adjustible stock at its shortest setting if applicable) to the tip of the barrel ( if your flash hider is welded or permanately attached then it is to the tip of that).

But as others have stated, use the search function and check the OLL guide with a flowchart. The best thing you can do for yourself is to understand the laws and your rights. Carry the documentation to back up the law. Otherwise, you are asking to get screwed.

Good luck, have fun, its an addiction... I hope you have lots of free cash to fund the small arsenal of black rifles you will obsess over building:43:

Josh3239
11-02-2010, 4:50 PM
Buying an AR in CA isn't any harder than buying any other firearm in CA. You do have to be careful under certain circumstances as crossing the line from a legal AR to an illegal AR can be easy if you do not understand the laws.

This is an excellent write up done by none other than the President of the Calguns Foundation: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=45321

This is a 2 page PDF with a flowchart and an explanation on how to build any California legal rifle: http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf

Dexster
11-02-2010, 4:55 PM
Welcome aboard.

Something you will find when searching for ARs is some gunshops don't carry them and others have a huge amount of them. I would say 1/2 of the shops in my area carry them and the other half won't because they don't want to get stuck with the inventory if a law changes (stupid reason in my opinion but...)

Exile Machine
11-02-2010, 7:38 PM
When I lived in CA I also erroneously believed that the AR was banned. I had a lot to learn. Learnt it all here on Calguns.
http://www.exilemachine.com/images/customer_photos/CP014.JPG
The rifle above has its collapsible stock pinned and the silencer is fake. The grip is not a pistol grip under CA law. All the other evil features are removed. But that's a real 30 round mag.

bjl333
11-02-2010, 9:21 PM
Welcome to Calguns !!! Take your time and look around the forum. If there are questions don't hesitate asking. There is also a search tap up top, run that and most of the answers should come.
Good Luck on your first build when you decide to do it.

kahai808
11-02-2010, 9:51 PM
go to your local gun shop and they should be able to explain it for you, or just search around the forum. super easy to get around the rules but just gay *** bullet button and 10 round mags.

YourHuckleberry
11-02-2010, 10:01 PM
AR-15 type rifles are legal in CA as long as they are in a proper configuration and the lower receiver isn't specifically on the decade old banned list.

The proper configuration is handled in one of two ways, either with a detachable mag and no evil features, such as pistol grip, flash hider, vertical grip, etc.... or with the more common "bullet button" and 10 or less round fixed magazine. See AW & OLL Guides links at the top of the page for more specific info.
10 round mags (in high capacity mag bodies, we call them 10/30's around here).

Welcome! This is a good response to follow ^
Do that and you're good

killshot44
11-02-2010, 11:51 PM
go to your local gun shop and they should be able to explain it for you.

Please do not attempt to do this. It will hurt your brain.