PDA

View Full Version : Ultimak installed :D

Bug Splat
11-02-2010, 12:40 PM
My new Ultimak for my Saiga came in yesterday and I jumped right into installing it. I was a little annoyed at how much I had to modify the forend to get it to fit. I had that thing on the mill like 8 times before I had removed enough plastic in key places to fit. No fault of Ultimak, I was just expecting less and took small cuts so as not to take too much.

As for quality, that thing is top notch. Machining is superb and finish is strong. I was quite impressed with the machining on the inside of the gastube. Standard 6 point ribbing but it was not a stamped insert like I thought it would be but machined from the block. Its a very nice piece and at $90 its a steal IMO.

My only concern is the heat. Its mounted right to the barrel just above where the lands start and just so happens to be the hottest point in the barrel. I'm not so much worried about my optics (testing with a Tacpoint :D ) but my support hand. Because I had to remove so much of the guard sides my hand will always be touching the mount. Has anyone had issues with heat? I guess I'll know by this weekend but I may have to invest in some gloves even though I hate wearing them.

thrillhouse700
11-02-2010, 12:45 PM
someone is gunna throw the "This thread is worthless without pics" banner so u should get pics, fast.

Bug Splat
11-02-2010, 1:37 PM
I'm still waiting on my low profile ring to show up so I can co-witness but I guess I can snap a few pics tonight without it.

Det.JohnKimble
11-10-2010, 10:13 PM
Yes we would love some pics. I'm planning on going this route too so I want to know all the pro and cons of this setup before I buy. I was also looking to buying the Top rail upper hand guard from TDI arms but the plastic looks cheap.
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ctd_images/bgprod/37144.jpg

Bug Splat
11-11-2010, 9:20 AM
Oops, sorry, I forgot to come back and post pics. I snapped a quick one the other day with my phone, nothing fancy. Over all I really like it so far. If co-witness is what you want then Ultimak is your only option for an upper handguard mount. All others are too high.

http://i573.photobucket.com/albums/ss171/bugsplat/IMAG0005.jpg

pacrimguru
11-11-2010, 9:30 AM
that's a clean install, good job!

Det.JohnKimble
11-11-2010, 7:55 PM
Looks amazing the groupings should be nice with this at mid and long range.

Bug Splat
11-11-2010, 8:20 PM
Thanks guys. It helps when you have a mill to make clean straight lines. I'm 50/50 on making my own lower hand guard out of an old DPMS freefloat tube but I'm not sure. I'm trying to stick with my original KISS because I always end up mod'ing the hell out of my firearms. I need to stop.

evidens83
11-11-2010, 8:21 PM
Looks clean! I like it!