PDA

View Full Version : MCMILLIAN M40A1 COMMEMORATIVE MARINE CORPS SNIPER RIFLE

tacticalcity
11-02-2010, 11:40 AM
JUST A HEADS-UP!

Got an exciting email from McMillan today that I figured many of you would like to know about...

McMillan is producting 20 rifle packages that are accurate reproductions of the classic M40A1 USMC Sniper Rifle that used their fiberglass woodland camo stock.

These will be reserved and gone before you can blink!

Here is the page for details: http://mcmillanusa.com/mcmillan-rifles-commemorative-rifle-m40a1.php

I make nothing off this. Absolutely nothing. I am just passing on the information since I know how many of you (including myself) would kill for one of these rifles. These are one of the finest sniper rifles ever made. They are not just a Rem 700 in a fancy stock. They are finely tuned works of art, with care attention paid to the details that seperated the M40A1 rifle from civilian clones made by guys who used to make them for the USMC. This is as close to the real deal as you can get.

Price: $8,541 (which I assume includes everything including the impossible to find scopes)

For those of you with more money than the man up stairs, enjoy your new sniper rifles!

http://mcmillanusa.com/images/rifles/m40a1-commemorative-rifle.jpg

http://mcmillanusa.com/images/rifles/m40a1-detail-1.jpg http://mcmillanusa.com/images/rifles/m40a1-detail-2.jpg http://mcmillanusa.com/images/rifles/m40a1-detail-3.jpg http://mcmillanusa.com/images/rifles/m40a1-detail-4.jpg

EL_NinO619
11-02-2010, 11:43 AM
Love the rifle, just not the paint job..Still i wish i could buy it.

tacticalcity
11-02-2010, 11:52 AM
The color/pattern is actually molded into the stock. Pretty cool when you see it in person. The stock is available for custom order buy itself in a wide variety of patterns and colors. You can create your own.

How it is shown in the picture is how they were issued to the USMC dating back to Vietnam all the way up until the current Iraq war when they started to replace them with the M40A3, which used the McMillan A4 stock (the designations confuse people all the time). Individual units/teams then painted them however they wished depending on the environment they were deploying to.

The goal is to make the rifle EXACTLY like the issued rifle. One could argue that some of the less expensive modern day parts and options are actually better. However, the goal here is to get it as close as possible to the rifle that was custom made by the Marine Corps, especially for their sniper teams, and never commercially available.

Personally I love the way they look. But that is because when I was enlisted, this was the way they were issued. It would be like complaining that the M16 is black (actually a really dark gray for the real deal).

Of course, I was USAF so our issued rifle was not the M40A1, but the M24. I was not an SP or SF Sniper so I never had any time on them while I was in. I was issued a GAU-5, which is more suited for CQB and was not a long range rifle. But I always admired the long range shooters. The skill required to master their rifles is considerable. I've owned a really fancy Remington 700, but nothing as cool as the M40A1. Always wanted one.

Spanky8601
11-02-2010, 11:59 AM
That is a great looking sniper rifle. Sure wish I had an extra $8,500, I have the $41 saved already. :D

tacticalcity
11-02-2010, 12:03 PM
That is a great looking sniper rifle. Sure wish I had an extra $8,500, I have the $41 saved already. :D

I choked on the price tag as well. But if it comes with the correct US Optics Scope, correct Redfield scope mount, and correct floorplate and other hardware, it is more than a fair price. Finding the correct parts or anything even close to the correct parts is a challenge and a half. Finding the correct barrel is a little easier, as many companies will custom make them but they cost an arm and leg, especially with the correct crown. For the average shooter the difference between the correct parts and the readily available parts does not matter. For the collector, it matters a great deal. They have to be remanufacturing some of the hardware to the original specs. Because most of it was never commercially available and is IMPOSSIBLE to find. The collectors have already snagged it up. I've seen broken parts (as in destroyed) off the original rifles sell for almost $1000 with the hopes the buyer would be able to repair them. Really minor, but impossible to find parts that seperate the accurate (build wise) replicas from the obvious replicas.

Unlike the M24 the M40A1 was never commercially produced.

X-NewYawker
11-02-2010, 12:11 PM
The price is INSANE. You could have this same gun built with all the same components for half that, and then buy $4000 worth of match ammo (a lifetime supply)

tacticalcity
11-02-2010, 12:19 PM
You're kidding yourself my friend.

The price tags listed on Texas Bridge Armory and GAP's websites are deceiving.

They may start around $3000-$4000 but that is without the scope and usually are using BDL bottom metal or some other modern day hardware. If you want the real deal hardware wise (floorplate and so forth) you have to pay extra - a lot extra. It adds up very quickly and the degree to which they are accurate recreations varies widely from company to company. You get an amazine rifle either way...but McMillan's goal here is produce a dead-on recreation accurate down to the finest little detail.

These rifles include the US Optics MST-100 10X scopes, mounted in the historically correct clip-slotted base and rings. Good luck finding those for anything less than $5K in usable condition. They are made by McMillan, who offers quality unmatched by anyone, to be accurate recreations of the real deal.

So it is all relative. It depends on what you want. Do you want a dead-on M40A1 or do you want really nice rifle that kind of looks like an M40A1? The later is what you are suggesting, and yes it is a little cheaper.

Granted it is no where within my price range. But as someone who has built an M40A1 and M40A3 clone before, and researched all the little details that collectors care about...it is not at all cheap to build a dead-on replica. Not cheap at all. An expert could spot the differences in my efforts a mile away, and I spent upwards of $2500-$3000K each on my attempts.

Black Majik
11-02-2010, 12:24 PM
That is pretty freaking awesome. It's nice to see US Optics step up for another run of MST-100s for these packages.

The scope itself retailed for $2750 from USO. $5800 for a M40A1 is still pretty dang expensive.

Rhythm of Life
11-02-2010, 12:27 PM
These rifles include the US Optics MST-100 10X scopes, mounted in the historically correct clip-slotted base and rings. Good luck finding those for anything less than $5K in usable condition.

I found them new for MSRP of $2,750.

Captain Crunch
11-02-2010, 12:30 PM
last time i saw one of those or a replica/clone of it at the local gunstore they were asking like 15k for it. that 8k price doesnt seem too bad

M1A Rifleman
11-02-2010, 12:47 PM
Too costly for what you get. A std Rem 700, Sendero, VSS, or PSS will do more than enough for most on this forum for about 1/8th the cost.

X-NewYawker
11-02-2010, 12:47 PM
You're kidding yourself my friend.

The price tags listed on Texas Bridge Armory and GAP's websites are deceiving.

They may start around $3000-$4000 but that is without the scope and usually are using BDL bottom metal or some other modern day hardware.

Granted it is no where within my price range. But as someone who has built an M40A1 and M40A3 clone before, and researched all the little details that collectors care about...it is not at all cheap to build a dead-on replica. Not cheap at all. An expert could spot the differences in my efforts a mile away, and I spent upwards of $2500-$3000K each on my attempts.

First of all, are you trying to replicate a period M40 or a current issue. Is the USO scope correct issue for either incarnation. You yourself admit you built your own versions for $2500-3000 -- what is the extra $5000 for? IBA, TBA, GAP all are giving an "entry level" rifle for $4000? I think they would take issue with that.

eg., the GAP precision base rifle in a McMillan M40A1 stock and custom floor-plate is $2800 without optics. Even asking for the few flourishes that would more accurately duplicate the M40 wouldn't bring it up to $8500 with scope -- and the schmucks at Sniper's hide blow these GAP rifles 24/7 as the best available.

http://www.gaprecision.net/ga-precision-2010-custom-rifles/ga-precision-base-custom-rifle.html

Your numbers don't add up.
No kidding.

X-NewYawker
11-02-2010, 12:48 PM
And you can get Remington Custom shops vietnam era M40 replica for under $2K

http://www.gunsamerica.com/996263564/Guns/Rifles/Remington-Replica-Rifles/Remington_700_USMC_M40_New_In_Box_Unfire.htm

X-NewYawker
11-02-2010, 12:52 PM
Get this and make your own: Actual M40A! military stocks, on gunbroker:

"The item that you are considering is a real deal USMC M40A1 return stock complete with bottom metal and certificate from McMillan. These stocks served in the Marine Corps from 1975 to 2000. These will fit any Remington 700 short action rifle barreled receiver."

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=197913549

This is the same stock they are using to make this commemorative. Please understand I love McMillan and have built many guns using their benchrest and tactical stocks -- but when IBA came out with their $11,000 war gun, I didn't recommend anyone buying that either. A lot of the extra price here is that it is a limited edition commemorative -- which also means you shouldn't shoot it lest you decrease it's resale value -- if you want this commemorative rifle to the M40A1, by all means go for it -- just don't compare it to a shooting gun that someone may want to buy for half the price.

http://www.snipercentral.com/m40a1.htm

Merc1138
11-02-2010, 1:10 PM
Too costly for what you get. A std Rem 700, Sendero, VSS, or PSS will do more than enough for most on this forum for about 1/8th the cost.

And a geo metro will do what most people need for a whole lot less than the cost of a bmw m5.

That's not the point. Yes, it's expensive as hell, you're also getting a nice new shiny(well.. matte?) limited production run rifle. Am I going to buy one? No, don't think I know anyone that'd even consider dropping that much on a rifle. However, it still kinda cool.

M1A Rifleman
11-02-2010, 1:18 PM
That's not the point. Yes, it's expensive as hell, you're also getting a nice new shiny(well.. matte?) limited production run rifle..

Which depreciates everytime you shoot it, not to mention it wears the barrel everytime you shoot it. Any new 700 is nice new and shiny or matt. It could be argued the PSS is limited. Remingtion cutomshop stuff is.

A standard shooter may also find it disapointing since the adjustment of the scope is not fine like a target scope with 1/2 or 1/4 clicks. What this means is there is the potential that your groups at 100 yd may be on paper either above or below the bull since the scope adjustment.

X-NewYawker
11-02-2010, 1:40 PM
Yes. It looks cool. Historic. And you shouldn't shoot it. That's why they're making 20. I don't know more than 20 people in the USA at this point who can drop $8K for a gun to sit in the safe. Here's one sitting n my safe that's around $7500 for gun and scope --

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p54/Fasanoland/Rifles/SteyrSniper.jpg

and thank Jesus it's a loaner!

Bug Splat
11-02-2010, 1:47 PM
Ouch that price tag hurts my head. I'm sure it had great historic value but its still just a recreation. Only a collector would want it and it would be a safe queen never seeing the sunlight. Only an idiot would buy that to shoot it. You can get a hell of a lot more rifle for half the price.

X-NewYawker
11-02-2010, 1:49 PM
Ouch that price tag hurts my head. I'm sure it had great historic value but its still just a recreation. Only a collector would want it and it would be a safe queen never seeing the sunlight. Only an idiot would buy that to shoot it. You can get a hell of a lot more rifle for half the price.

What the bug said. Thanks for boiling it down!

Beetle Bailey
11-02-2010, 2:02 PM
If I am reading it right, you get a complete rifle stocked with a new production M40A1 stock, and in addition you get an actual USMC return M40A1 stock that has been there and done that. That, plus the correct mounting hardward is what separates it from say, getting an M40A1 replica from GAP? Gotta admit, that is super cool.

If I had the dough, I'd just have GAP or someone like that make me one and use the change to get reloading supplies. But if I saw the McMillian version at the range, I'd definately want to check it out. :cool2: Because it's cool.

Infidel
11-02-2010, 2:06 PM
That thing is sweet, but ridiculously expensive!!!...I will stick with my Remy 700 SPS Tactical in .308

Glin1216
11-02-2010, 2:17 PM
Price: $8,541

I guess $03.17 didn't fly with the heads at McMillan..

Jonathan Doe
11-02-2010, 2:19 PM
I just spoke to someone at the McMillan company. I forgot his name. He said he is getting a lot of phone calls. he also said 5 rifles are spoken for for now. And, don't forget the rifle will come with a return stock from the USMC. The stock that was actually used on M40A1 rifle. Who knows what kind of story the stock could tell if it were to speak. It will be ready for delivery around the Christmas time, which is the perfect timing.

I am seriously thinking about getting one, torn between this rifle and the Accuracy International AW rifle with Schmidt & Bender scope that I found at a local store. But then, my kids' college tuition will take priority.

donw
11-02-2010, 3:13 PM
why not enlist/re-up and go thru the USMC sniper school and get one issued? :D

Merc1138
11-02-2010, 3:16 PM
Which depreciates everytime you shoot it, not to mention it wears the barrel everytime you shoot it. Any new 700 is nice new and shiny or matt. It could be argued the PSS is limited. Remingtion cutomshop stuff is.

A standard shooter may also find it disapointing since the adjustment of the scope is not fine like a target scope with 1/2 or 1/4 clicks. What this means is there is the potential that your groups at 100 yd may be on paper either above or below the bull since the scope adjustment.

Who said anything about shooting it? It's a limited production run of 20(did you miss that part?) meant to be a collectible, not beaten up on the range.

And just like the cars I mentioned, the bmw m5 also loses value as you drive it, still doesn't mean everyone needs to be limited to a geo metro.

M1A Rifleman
11-02-2010, 3:18 PM
Who said anything about shooting it? It's a limited production run of 20(did you miss that part?) meant to be a collectible, not beaten up on the range.

Yea, I wondered if you meant to own it as a safe queen. Meh, still to $$ and there would be no way I could own but not shoot. :D

tacticalcity
11-02-2010, 4:00 PM
M1A Rifleman and X-NewYawker couldn't try harder to miss the point if they wanted to.

I specifically covered what you are saying. There are modern day rifles for much less that will do just as great a job on the range. That is COMPLETELY besides the point. For people who view it that way...this is not for them. And they are not wrong. There is nothing that says a correct M40A1 is not the best option for precision shooting available today. There are modern rifles available for less that would do a better job (the Remington 700s mentioned are not them...but those are great options for entry level long range shooters and can definately out shoot most of us, including myself). That does not change the fact that there is a huge market for these...you're just not part of it. I have no issue with that.

These are for collectors who have always dreamed of owning a "correct" M40A1, something that even the biggest names in precision rifles that actually build M40A1 replicas have difficulty in doing.

The fact that X-NewYawker uses the Remington Commerative M40 in his argument shows a lack of knowledge about this subject area. They aren't even close to being correct. They have lots of little details that are off. Most obvious being the plastic buttplate that should be metal, and on and on. I'm pretty sure but not certain that the floor plate and crown (or lack there of) on the barrel are off as well. I think the barrel contour is correct for the M40, but completely off for the M40A1 (they are not the same rifle).

For guys who are fine with slapping a McMillan stock on a Remington 700 and calling it an M40A1, there are a lot of great options for less money. For guys who are cool with something really close to an M40 but not exact there are a lot of options for a little less money. From what I can tell, this is the closest thing I've seen that will be dead-on correct.

Of course, that all depends on whether or not McMillan delivers what is being promised. A lot of companies say they make a correct M40A1 and really don't. Their encarnations include parts never used by the USMC because they are commercially available and the USMC parts are not. Based on the price tag, and McMillan's reputation, and their own tooling and machining capabilities I am assuming that will not be the case here. I'm assuming they will be 100% correct. I am assuming that added cost is the result of having to machine period correct parts that are not commercially available, and only doing a short run of 20 (plus some overs incase something goes wrong). It is the short run nature of it that justifies the price, because it comes with significant expense.

There are definately more than 20 collectors out there who paid for these. And as always, there will be the guys that come LATE to the party. Just wait...these will be selling for twice the asking price in a couple of years.

Don't believe me? Remember the "take off stocks" (a number of which will be included as an option on these by the way). McMillan started selling them for $20. They went in the blink of eye. Over the next year they were going for anywhere from $600-$1000 based on their condition. I saw a cracked one sell for $900.

As for the US Optics scope, I hadn't done a search for them in a while. I've seen them sell upwards of $5000. Which seemed insane to me. Yes they were period specific, but they had blurry glass and other issues. So it was not like they were mint.

Last I had checked US Optics stopped making the correct scope. So if they are doing a new run of them, then that is great news for collectors. They can get their M40A1 that much closer to correct.

M1A Rifleman
11-02-2010, 4:03 PM
M1A Rifleman and X-NewYawker couldn't try harder to miss the point if they wanted to.

These are for collectors who have always dreamed of owning a "correct" M40A1 ....

Maybe you should be more clear. Nowhere in your first post do you say for collectors. :rolleyes:

Regardless, it still $$ for a safe queen. Sorry

tacticalcity
11-02-2010, 4:08 PM
Really should not have needed to. Between the sticker price and words like "correct" and phrases like "accurate reproductions of" and the fact that there are only 20 being made should have been clear enough.

I have no problem that is not your cup of tea. I personally have much more pressing uses for the $8K+ myself. But I also know these are going to be selling for a lot more a year or two from now when I'l actually have the $8K+ but won't have what they are going for then.

Of course if they end up building more than 20, then that might not happen - at least not the same degree.

I just know people flipped the hell out of their takeoff stocks, bottom medal, and fittings to the point that it was insane. And for a few of those guys who want that stuff McMillan is going to be offering it on these as well. For those guys, of which there are many, these rifles are a wet dream.

Basically the guy's over at SnipersHide.com must be pretty happy right now.

Makes me wish I had the money to burn.

tiger222
11-02-2010, 4:11 PM
It looks cool, and a good Buddy of mine is nuts for these things, but they do not have any mystique for me. I guess it's kind of like the M1A / 1911 thing that people get Military Hard-ons for. They've seen enough pictures of it so it becomes mythical. For that kind of coin I'd rather have something else.... sadly the things I'd want are ALOT more. But German, and somehow the price tag is easier to handle.

M1A Rifleman
11-02-2010, 4:11 PM
Really should not have needed to. Between the sticker price and words like "correct" and phrases like "accurate reproductions of" and the fact that there are only 20 being made should have been clear enough.

OK, my mistake. I tend to shoot what I own, so the idea of spending $8k for something to drool over and dream of sniping commies is foreign to me.

Merc1138
11-02-2010, 4:18 PM
Even if it were $1k, where exactly would you be sniping commies with it :P

tacticalcity
11-02-2010, 4:25 PM
These days my fight with the commies takes place at the ballot box. Speaking of which, today is election day fellas.

$1K rifle is a plinker. Hell my M4 cost more than $1K all said and done. I'm pretty sure it ran me more than $2K. I know my Recon Rifle did. I guess I have expensive taste. ;)

A half way decent optic for precision shooting like a Leupold Mark 4 is going to run you at least $1K, and most precision guys consider that entry level. Those guys favor Schmidt and Bender or US Optics, which sell for some serious coin. Way out of my league.

In any case, I am not trying to pick a fight with anybody. I was just surprised at the negative response. Given how much people flip out over anything M40A1 related, especially when it comes from McMillan.

Beetle Bailey
11-02-2010, 4:49 PM
Oh, don't get me wrong - I'd love to have one. And I would shoot it. And not just once. I'd shoot the barrel out of that sucker! :D

Solidsnake87
11-02-2010, 4:54 PM
Cool rifle. I guess if authenticity is worth mad $$$ it will be worth it to some. Personally, I'd stick to a modern custom job.

tacticalcity
11-02-2010, 5:28 PM
Cool rifle. I guess if authenticity is worth mad $$$ it will be worth it to some. Personally, I'd stick to a modern custom job.

Some of us, including myself, don't have choice. We don't have the $$$ laying around in the first place. Some people do.

6mmintl
11-03-2010, 3:25 PM
Buy 16 used Remington 700 .308 BDL rifles (A,B,C prefix series serial number heavy barrel varminters) and you will have two liftimes of similarly accurate (.5 to .7 MOA) rifles.

Or buy just one, camo it, tune up the bolt/firig pin and put a Jewel trigger in it.

Think of all the money you will have left over to buy "Match " ammo.

Dont worry about never hearing the Ouh's and Aha's.

jcaoloveshine
11-03-2010, 3:34 PM
I like how the pricetag matches the former USMC SS MOS 8541. clever clever

tacticalcity
11-03-2010, 3:36 PM
I like how the pricetag matches the former USMC SS MOS 8541. clever clever

Missed that entirely.

tacticalcity
11-03-2010, 3:37 PM
Buy 16 used Remington 700 .308 BDL rifles (A,B,C prefix series serial number heavy barrel varminters) and you will have two liftimes of similarly accurate (.5 to .7 MOA) rifles.

Or buy just one, camo it, tune up the bolt/firig pin and put a Jewel trigger in it.

Think of all the money you will have left over to buy "Match " ammo.

Dont worry about never hearing the Ouh's and Aha's.

:banghead:

I clearly picked the wrong audience! This is like trying to talk about a Noveske upper to guys who think the price is insane because Model 1 Sales has uppers for a lot less money. There are significant differences between this rifle and the ones you are suggesting as just as good. No question your suggestions are great rifles...but there is a difference beyond just the price tag. For starters they are made by McMillan, and McMillan does precision and quality like nobody's business. It is a little off topic, since it is a different rifle, but their TAC-50 holds the current longest confimed combat kill record thanks to a Canadian sniper team in Afghanistan. These guys turn out amazing rifles, and no production rifle is going to rival a run of 20 limited edition custom builds from them. Not a chance. That is like comparing a factory Mustang GT to a Shelby. They are not the same thing.

novabrian
11-03-2010, 3:41 PM
Only $8,500? I'll take 3! Got one in pink camo?

X-NewYawker
11-03-2010, 3:55 PM

I clearly picked the wrong audience! This is like trying to talk about a Noveske upper to guys who think the price is insane because Model 1 Sales has uppers for a lot less money. There are significant differences between this rifle and the ones you are suggesting as just as good. No question your suggestions are great rifles...but there is a difference beyond just the price tag. For starters they are made by McMillan, and McMillan does precision and quality like nobody's business. It is a little off topic, since it is a different rifle, but their TAC-50 holds the current longest confimed combat kill record thanks to a Canadian sniper team in Afghanistan. These guys turn out amazing rifles, and no production rifle is going to rival a run of 20 limited edition custom builds from them. Not a chance. That is like comparing a factory Mustang GT to a Shelby. They are not the same thing.

My buddy has the Shelby Mustang (just had it upped to 600 Hp) and a Weatherby .460 and Colt Single actions and the $8000 Canon SLR, etc, -- and if he idolized the M40A1 he'd have one of these. I think a lot of the guys on this site are looking for guns to shoot --
If McMillan was selling this exact rifle package for $6000 -- and it wasn't a limited edition, then myself and lot of guys here would be a lot more interested. It isn't about it not being a great historically accurate rifle, it's about the safe queen status -- Don't hate us, we just want to shoot it.

Black Majik
11-03-2010, 3:57 PM

There are some of us who can appreciate the cool niche this rifle package fills. All has not gone to waste, personally... I thank you for posting the link. :thumbsup:

tacticalcity
11-03-2010, 4:03 PM
Only $8,500? I'll take 3! Got one in pink camo?

Ha!Ha! I know you're kidding but they could definitely do a pink camo stock for you...though they would assume you were kidding too if you wanted this particular rifle with one.

http://mcmillanusa.com/mcmillan-stocks-finishes.php

You pick and choose your colors...

http://mcmillanusa.com/images/stocks/finishes/marble_colors.jpg

...and your pattern...

http://mcmillanusa.com/images/stocks/finishes/marble_stocks.jpg
http://mcmillanusa.com/images/stocks/finishes/camo_stock.jpg

...when ordering a custom stock from McMillan.

So you could do Burgundy, Pink and Grape or something along those lines in the camo pattern or marble pattern of your choice.

So for you guy's with wives and girlfriends who are competition shooters or really, really into guns McMillan has some nice options for you. Last I checked they had solid fiberglass stocks that start in the $300 range. Compare to an ATI stock that is expensive. But when compared to an Accuracy International stock is is reasonable, and that is their direct competition.

There is a neon pink McMillan stock burried in this picuture...right next to somebody's M40A1 replica on what looks to be a real USMC return stock.

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f281/brdeano/Youngs/DSC_1268-1.jpg

Guys looking for camo patterns that are actually effective in the field instead of the traditional camo patterns should try the marble with subdued colors as that can result in a really effective pattern.

A quick 3 sec. search turned up this example. If I spent more time on it I could find hundreds more...

http://accurateshooter.net/GOTW/robtacsuppx1000.jpg
I can hear the cash register going cha-ching, cha-ching, cha-ching just looking at this this custom rifle. McMillan A5 stock with all the trimmings, some sort of custom receiver, a custom barrel, a suppressor, badger M5 bottom metal that accepts AI mags, probably some sort of match grade trigger, not sure about the rings but possible badger, and a US optics scope, and a harris bipod. This guy has some serious coin invested in his stick! Nothing off the rack here.

I've owned their HTG (M40A1) stocks, A4 and A5 stocks before. My favorite to shoot was the A5, but even the HTG is a major improvement over factory stocks. Enough to justify the price tag. I've never gone to the extreme and built a precision rifle from the ground up. The cost has always been too prohibitive. I do it will my ARs all the time...never one of these. I'm definitely tempted...just not with the economy the way it is.

Mute
11-03-2010, 4:40 PM
I can appreciate what they are trying to deliver, but methinks they have a fairly hefty profit built into each unit.

Darklyte27
11-03-2010, 6:09 PM
It is an awesome rifle yes, as a Marine I wouldnt buy it though.
To a person who is rich and likes military stuff they probably would.

It all depends on what you think its worth, I bought a correct grade Garand for 975$. its History, Shoots GREAT and its history.

but again for 8k$ ill pass even if i had 8k to blow on a rifle like this.

I do want a GAP rifle though but dont have 5k to blow either *yet*

xibunkrlilkidsx
11-03-2010, 6:13 PM
I just want one of the Marine take off stocks.

tacticalcity
11-03-2010, 7:02 PM
I just want one of the Marine take off stocks.

They definately under valued those at first. They had no idea how many people would flip-out over a used, beat-up ugly stock. The commercial market went absolutely nuts for those!

AlliedArmory
11-03-2010, 7:41 PM
Pretty badass. Too bad I would have to sell my car to buy it. :(

6079Winston
11-03-2010, 8:17 PM
A little expensive, but if you have to have it you have to have it. A friend of mine has a very correct M40A1 copy whick I have spent a little time behind. My impressions of shooting it is that it is a very well thought out package that not only shoots well but is also forgiving and easy to shoot well. One of those unusual guns that everyone shoots small groups with. Funny thing is that the only ones who notice it at the range are older marines who do a jaw dropping double take on it.

Dhena81
11-03-2010, 10:10 PM
Tough sell to a tough crowd does anyone wanna buy a gen 1 glock 17 for 3k? If I had the coin I would buy this just for the investment of it thanks for the post Tacticalcity its a nice change of pace.