PDA

View Full Version : NRA

DevilDawgJJ
11-02-2010, 10:24 AM
I would like to premise this post, that it is obivous that a majority of people on here are pro-gun, with a few that promulgate some form of gun control.

I'm pondering the notion of joining the NRA, but not quite sure what that exactly entails or the benifits (financial, social, or political) that come with membership.

Could some of you (past or current) members tell me your experices with being a member of the NRA?

Semper Fi

Sutcliffe
11-02-2010, 10:44 AM
Not everybody will always be on board with what they do. They have some some impact(many think they don't go far enough) on preventing us from losing our right to bear arms. In the past they have had a defensive mentality. That needs to change. We have to go after people and issues-not respond to them.
Once you join you will get a constant barrage of requests for more money. You will think the sky is always falling in on them. That's just the nature of any Political Action Committte I suppose. Give what you can and wear their sticker on you bumper if you want. Some people will not like the way you think or call you a redneck if you are a member. So be it.

If you want to make some sort of contribution towards gun rights CALGUNS is your best bet. We have first class minds of people passionate enough to volunteer to serve and risk arrest for some of the loopholes they've detected in our flawed legal system. We are streamlined and a huge portion of your dollar goes to local causes.

Glock22Fan
11-02-2010, 10:47 AM
If you ask them, the NRA will put your name on a list of members who do not receive all the begging letters.

EL_NinO619
11-02-2010, 10:48 AM
I am a member and support them. Do they do as much as i would like for CA. No, but for the $25 bucks they help us out. Plus the $25 is worth the magazine and other stuff you get. Also join California Rifle and Pistol Association "CRPA" They are for sure fighting for us Californians

stix213
11-02-2010, 11:04 AM
You get a magazine and you get to know you aren't part of the problem. They really don't beg for money as much as some people make it sound. Sending money to Calguns and the 2A Foundation is probably more bang for your buck right now.

I've sent money to all 3 of those this year personally.

Fjold
11-02-2010, 11:12 AM
One of the biggest things is that you join the largest gun-rights organization in the world. Membership numbers translates in to votes. Politicians tend to listen more to organizations with larger memberships.

DevilDawgJJ
11-02-2010, 11:17 AM
I am a member and support them. Do they do as much as i would like for CA. No, but for the $25 bucks they help us out.

As a member, what is it that you believe the NRA isn't doing enough for the cause?

Sending money to Calguns and the 2A Foundation is probably more bang for your buck right now.

How so? And why would my money be better invested in the aformentioned, rather than the NRA? Is there not enough clout with the NRA in CA or other states for that matter.

Semper Fi

freonr22
11-02-2010, 11:24 AM
the CRPA and The Second Amendment Foundation, are kicking butt

http://www.saf.org/

http://www.crpa.org/

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=319323

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=347748

stix213
11-02-2010, 11:54 AM
Sending money to Calguns and the 2A Foundation is probably more bang for your buck right now.

How so? And why would my money be better invested in the aformentioned, rather than the NRA? Is there not enough clout with the NRA in CA or other states for that matter.

The recent McDonald case that incorporated the 2A against the states was made possible by the 2A Foundation & Alan Gura. Calguns helps individual gun cases in CA all the time, sometimes quite publicly discussed on this board for better or worse, and has current and planned litigation to improve CA's gun laws. The NRA is helpful, and I support them, but they aren't the organization getting the big wins where it counts right now.

That said, get an NRA membership.

bwiese
11-02-2010, 12:11 PM
One of the biggest things is that you join the largest gun-rights organization in the world. Membership numbers translates in to votes. Politicians tend to listen more to organizations with larger memberships.

Baby, that's it. That extra +1 is just as important as the funds (or the free hat for you).

That's how it's gotten to be, and stayed, a Big Dog.

No other organization could have special carve-out on a bill added to avoid its obstruction (by NRA) - and then this same actual carve-out causes the bill to go off the deep end ;)

Membership + funds = clout.

If the NRA could double and sustain in size both nationally and in CA (along with CRPA getting up there in membership too) we'd really have something going: more fear.

Also please remember nothing is in a vacuum: while some of us may sometimes ***** & moan about who gets certain credit for certain cases, there's lots of work being done by NRA in CA, esp thru CRPA Foundation. Remember that NRA's legal team in CA - Chuck Michel ably helped by Sean Brady and Clint Montfort - are doing a ton of things this very moment to keep the RKBA running. Remember that Gene, Brett I and other Calgunners are on CRPA's board (CRPA is NRA's state affliate org) as well so we must think some damned good things about that organization and its future too.

Bottom line, no other org really does gun POLITICS as well.

BTW, whodya think helped coordinate that amicus brief from Brown? ;)

Join, step up to the membership level you can support, and don't just do it for the free hat or bumpersticker.

schnellfeuer300
11-02-2010, 1:01 PM
Just off the top of my head the NRA is involved in:

Competition Sanctioning
Women on Target
Refuse to Be a Victim
Instructor Certification
Home Defense Training
Range Safety Officer Training
Supporting the US Olympic Shooting Team
Hunter Safety
Institute for Legislative Action
Eddie Eagle (youth firearms safety)
National Matches

That's a lot of bang for your buck.

I'm the NRA.

http://chezjacq.com/images/NRA_Vote.gif

berto
11-02-2010, 1:25 PM
Please join us.

johnny_22
11-02-2010, 2:03 PM
I don't agree with everything they do, but, the majority of it helps gun owners. Also, as a member, they are more likely to listen to your complaints.

The firearm insurance and CCW/Excess Personal liability insurance are bargain priced.

fiddletown
11-02-2010, 2:26 PM
[1] The NRA is the most effective RKBA organization politically. They have the largest membership of any of them, and they do the best that they can with that membership base. Politics is strictly a numbers game. If the NRA had more members, it could be that much more effective. And those folks who complain about the NRA's so called failures need to tell us who did, or could have, actually accomplished more.

[2] Facts of political life -- politicians don't listen to individual voters and they don't listen to or care much about reason. They care about numbers. One hundred phone calls or letters in support of or against something are better than 10. Ten thousand would be a lot better yet. It doesn't matter what the caller or writer says is the reason to support or oppose the thing. All that matters is the number on each side of the question.

[3] An NRA with 4 million members gets attention. An NRA with 5 million will get more, and an NRA with 10 million members could get some real serious attention. As annoying as the NRA can be, it's in our interests to see it grow and prosper.

[4] Politicians aren't swayed by fine arguments, logical demonstrations or even facts. They are swayed by how many voters (and potential voters and contributors) line up on each side of the question. They are influenced by political and economic power.

[5] Given all that, the NRA does what it reasonably can do in the political climate in which it operates. It can not perform magic. Under the right circumstances, it can, and has, effectively moved affirmative pro-RKBA legislation (like the law protecting gun makers from frivolous law suits and the National Park carry legislation). And sometimes it can block legislation we don't like. But sometimes the political deck is so stacked against our interests, the best we can reasonably expect the NRA to be able to do is help make the best of a bad situation.

[6] It's fine to talk about "no compromise." But remember that he who insists on all or nothing gets nothing. If the votes aren't there they aren't there.

[7] The NRA is at the forefront of shooter education and safety training. Their program for certifying instructors in a variety of disciplines helps make competent training more readily available to the public. And their "Refuse to be a Victim" program is excellent.

DevilDawgJJ
11-04-2010, 11:02 AM
[1] The NRA is the most effective RKBA organization politically.

I'm not sure what you mean?

I don't agree with everything they do, but, the majority of it helps gun owners. Also, as a member, they are more likely to listen to your complaints.

As a member, how much "say" do you actually have? If you address your concerns, will they just give you the formal letter...

Semper Fi

Uriah02
11-04-2010, 11:13 AM
At the very lowest level I like the magazine that comes with the membership. I also want to contribute to the national fight for my RKBA and hope it will be expanded. While I like the policy of the GOA on many issues (just not their tact), the NRA makes progress. RKBA is one of the most important political issues for me, the NRA represents me more than my state representative, senator or congressman can.

yellowfin
11-04-2010, 11:13 AM
I hope that in the coming years they'll be equally active in winning the cultural war against the anti gun ideology. Our problems exist just as much if not more in university boards of trustees, PTA's, medical boards, bar associations, and corporate boards which have gotten virtually zero attention as legislatures and campaigns.

Peaceful John
11-04-2010, 11:30 AM
I've been an Endowment member since my hair was brown, and I'd like to weigh in on this.

The NRA is a single purpose organization. That purpose is to sway state legislation towards gun rights. A politician can be of generally low character, but if he helps achieve this goal the NRA will support him. The evidence is that this approach works beautifully. Witness that prior to McDonald the NRA was successful in moving 30 or more states to "shall issue". The takeaway is that the NRA is a magnificently successful single purpose legislative organization.

But the front has moved to the judicial arena, and the SAF seems to work better there. Think "Gura". Due to the SAF (and I dismiss the NRA's self-serving claims of being the driver) we have McDonald and Heller. Right now I think that supporting the SAF, without whom SCOTUS would never have addressed the 2nd A, would probably generate more immediate returns that the NRA. The takeaway is that the SAF is a magnificently successful single purpose judicial organization.

But the matter is not quite as defined at all that. Remember SCOTUS specifically stated that some restrictions to the RTKBA would be permitted. That means that after the Heller dust has settled the battle will return to the state legislators as "reasonable restrictions" are debated across the nation. And that is where the NRA is supreme.

Overall, then, if you chose to join the NRA you will be making yourself useful. Similarly with the SAF. Best, if it were possible, might be to support both organizations. That mean you would be supporting the fight whether the battle was judicial or legislative. It would be a place of honor.

Cordially,
John

1BigPea
11-04-2010, 11:42 AM
Baby, that's it. That extra +1 is just as important as the funds (or the free hat for you).

That's how it's gotten to be, and stayed, a Big Dog.

No other organization could have special carve-out on a bill added to avoid its obstruction (by NRA) - and then this same actual carve-out causes the bill to go off the deep end ;)

Membership + funds = clout.

If the NRA could double and sustain in size both nationally and in CA (along with CRPA getting up there in membership too) we'd really have something going: more fear.

Also please remember nothing is in a vacuum: while some of us may sometimes ***** & moan about who gets certain credit for certain cases, there's lots of work being done by NRA in CA, esp thru CRPA Foundation. Remember that NRA's legal team in CA - Chuck Michel ably helped by Sean Brady and Clint Montfort - are doing a ton of things this very moment to keep the RKBA running. Remember that Gene, Brett I and other Calgunners are on CRPA's board (CRPA is NRA's state affliate org) as well so we must think some damned good things about that organization and its future too.

Bottom line, no other org really does gun POLITICS as well.

BTW, whodya think helped coordinate that amicus brief from Brown? ;)

Join, step up to the membership level you can support, and don't just do it for the free hat or bumpersticker.

Read this post again...and then join the NRA.

bwiese
11-04-2010, 11:43 AM
PeacefulJohn,
Good post.

I will also add that things that fall outside pure RKBA in the hunting/fishing arena that bounce back to the consumer gun area - like lead ammo issues - will need a large organization with political and legal/regulatory clout.

The CRPA Foundation (and NRA) are really active in CA and spending $money$ on this, and the work done to stop additional lead ammo bans in the condor zone was a work of art.
Our team is also dealing with this issue in AZ as well...

blackberg
11-04-2010, 12:30 PM
Numbers matter, the more members they have, the more clout they have.

at minimum:

Join the NRA,
Join the CRPA,

Donate to CGF

beyond that, as your individual situation allows, join the SAF and donate to the to the others

-bb

greasemonkey
11-04-2010, 1:19 PM
National Level: NRA & Second Amendment Foundation
CA specific: CRPA & CGF

NRA & CRPA are extremely important for legislative/political clout:
membership$ + headcount = clout

SAF & CGF are extremely important for overturning bad laws and providing for civil defense, especially in cases that set precedent to re-gain our lost ground in 2A rights.

The NRA does A LOT with helping fund local ranges and firearms safety/marksmanship training, the Calguns.net Community Chapters are a great way for you to get involved with hands-on efforts in your community...everything from cleaning up trash to running instruction courses.

wildhawker
11-04-2010, 1:31 PM
I agree, and would only add that for the very small tax-deductible* donation to SAF for membership, it should be on everyone's must-do list.

NRA: $35.00/annual
CRPA: $22.00/annual
SAF: $15.00/annual*
Subtotal: $72.00/year for "must-do" memberships

If you have only $100.00 per year to contribute to the cause, you can make a *huge* difference at this critical point in the fight for our rights and the security of the Republic.

Membership numbers count, *especially* on the national and state legislative levels, and so do the tax-deductible donations which so many here make to CGF and SAF.

Numbers matter, the more members they have, the more clout they have.

at minimum:

Join the NRA,
Join the CRPA,

Donate to CGF

beyond that, as your individual situation allows, join the SAF and donate to the to the others

-bb

dantodd
11-04-2010, 1:35 PM
Doesn't that leave $28 for CGF?

wildhawker
11-04-2010, 1:52 PM
That was the intended implication, although I didn't want to expressly line-item CGF.

Doesn't that leave $28 for CGF?

Wherryj
11-04-2010, 4:08 PM
If you ask them, the NRA will put your name on a list of members who do not receive all the begging letters.

That reminds me that we on the CG Forums haven't heard from Dudley Brown for a while.