PDA

View Full Version : Folding stock/California compliant

myoconstruct
11-02-2010, 9:37 AM
is a folding stock for the Romanian psl going to be legal. from what ive read, if i have done something to take my rifle out of a "sporting" configuration, ( install folding stock) then i will have to make sure the rifle doesn't have more then 10 imported parts as stated in sec 922r. am i getting this right.

stix213
11-02-2010, 10:10 AM
is a folding stock for the Romanian psl going to be legal. from what ive read, if i have done something to take my rifle out of a "sporting" configuration, ( install folding stock) then i will have to make sure the rifle doesn't have more then 10 imported parts as stated in sec 922r. am i getting this right.

10 imported parts of those they count, yes. But your biggest concern is you need to stay above 30" over all length when folded in its shortest position.

Also 922r is a federal law, so has nothing to do with being "California Compliant"

bwiese
11-02-2010, 10:12 AM
Two separate issues, and both need to be addressed separately....

CA AW laws:

(1) if your PSL isn't a (pre-2000 or LEO) registered assault weapon, it will certainly require a
maglock and use of 10rd or less mags if it's gonna have a folder stock. (It probably already
requires a maglock now - but perhaps you are running it 'featureless' somehow.)

(2) remember that minimum legal overall length of a semiauto centerfire rifle in California is 30"
(and not the usual 26" otherwise.) This length must be measured with the stock CLOSED,
FOLDED or COLLAPSED. Due to People v. Rooney. [Fed law is more lenient and allows overall
length to be measured with stock open/unfolded, but CA law is more strict.]

Federal law:

Your PSL was imported as a 'sporting' firearm (unless it was built in USA from a bunch of US
manufactured parts, which is fairly unlikely for this variant). The parts on this gun are designed
to comply with "sporting rifle" concept to avoid the import ban still on the books (the sunset
of the 1994 Fed AW ban did *not* affect this separate matter).

If you are gonna change its configuration to something 'less sporting' - like regular stock and
pistol grip, etc. - you are indeed gonna have to observe 18 USC 922(r) and supporting regulations
in 27 CFR 478.39, which means you'll need to play the "10 or less key foreign parts" game. Most
AKs can get by with 6? 7? parts - replacing with US-mfgd pistol grip, buttstock and handguards
plus US-mfgd hammer, trigger, sear and (if present) muzzle device gets you below this threshold.

myoconstruct
11-02-2010, 6:53 PM
ok. i will change enough parts to make it 922r compliant. parts i will change are,
us made receiver
trigger
hammer
disconnector
butt stock
pistol grip
handguard

things that will be imported are
magazine body
follower
floor plate
bolt
bolt carrier
gas piston
barrel
muzzle break
trunions

does the gas piston and the bolt carrier count as one part?
am i missing any parts?

i try to visit the local outdoor public shooting range once a week and haven't had any problems with the local lawmen yet, but i need to know if i have modified my rifle and made it illegal. just in case.
i have the bullet button installed, the bayonet lug has been grinded off and the muzzle break is welded on.
any help is much appreciated. thanks.