PDA

View Full Version : 10-round AR-15 magazines, are they good?

Dreaded Claymore
11-02-2010, 6:19 AM
I'm not talking about 20 or 30 rounders that have been altered, I'm talking about the teeny little short magazines.

Who do I buy them from? Are they reliable, or will they jam your gun more often than normal mags? And can you put Magpul Ranger Plates on them to make them easier to grab?

Don29palms
11-02-2010, 6:28 AM
I use 10rd C-Products mags I got from Parallax Tactical for $11.95. I haven't had any problems with them at all. They drop right out as soon as they are released.

deadcoyote
11-02-2010, 6:42 AM
+1 to C-products 10 rounders. I've got the stainless mag body (its still black) model and they both work fine.

Casual_Shooter
11-02-2010, 6:49 AM
Another +1 to the C-Products 10 rounders. Their only disadvantage (IMO) is that they don't have enough real estate to grab if you want to take that route when changing mags. Letting them drop works just fine. :)

One comment that was made during a carbine class was that the metal mags may deform over time from hitting the ground. i.e. if they hit on the top of the mag, the opening could get bent. The plastic mags don't seem to suffer from this.

rodeoflyer
11-02-2010, 7:35 AM
C-products 10rd here - works great.

evidens83
11-02-2010, 7:39 AM
CP from 44mag (http://www.44mag.com/category/cproducts) $9.99 shipped!

evidens83
11-02-2010, 7:41 AM
I heard you can install the Ranger Plates on them but it will make it into a 9 rounder correct me if I'm wrong???

bjl333
11-02-2010, 8:10 AM
C-Product.

migz
11-02-2010, 8:14 AM
I have 10rd mags from C-products, they work fine. I also like the AR-Stoner brand 10rd mags.

McCrown
11-02-2010, 8:21 AM
I have ranger plates on my c-product mags and they work nice. I can squeeze 10 rounds in them, but it's tight and might need an extra pull of the charging handle to strip that first round out. With 9 there is no problem and same without the ranger plates and 10 rds in them. Never had a problem with them.

Peter.Steele
11-02-2010, 9:02 AM
I've got 2x C Products 10/10's as well. Great magazines. First few rounds through them I had to use the FA button to get the round to feed, but as soon as the feed lips were worn in they've been perfect. No problems at all. I tihnk I got them from Golden State Tactical, can't remember for sure. They were in a kit with my bullet button.

I'd buy again.

Falstaff
11-02-2010, 9:16 AM
I bought some from Bushmaster, they work just fine, no problems to report. They are supposed to be made of stainless steel and are painted black. I think they are "C Products" but am not sure, will have to go look.

B16
11-02-2010, 10:03 AM
I just got my 10rd C-Products in a few days ago (Orange followers, if there is any difference from the green one) and loaded it up in my lower (No Upper yet, but it's coming) and it dropped freely. Seems well made and I went with C-products because it was all metal instead of polymer. Read some good reviews about C-products here is why I went with them.

I had the mag loaded and when I took the tenth round out, it was pretty snug in there. After the 3rd round, it was easier to take out. I think I just have to break them in for it to be smoother.

zman
11-02-2010, 10:06 AM
I heard you can install the Ranger Plates on them but it will make it into a 9 rounder correct me if I'm wrong???

Yes there are Ranger Plates specifically for them and you do NOT lose a round :)

The C-Products and the AR-Stoner 10-rounders have been great for me.

evidens83
11-02-2010, 10:12 AM
Yes there are Ranger Plates specifically for them and you do NOT lose a round :)

The C-Products and the AR-Stoner 10-rounders have been great for me.

Are they the ones designated for GI mags?

evolixsurf
11-02-2010, 10:21 AM
bushmasters have worked best for me! No brainer for sure. You can tell they are good because sometimes they are just out of stock... Everyone is trying to pick them up...

Merc1138
11-02-2010, 10:58 AM
I've got a few c-products 10 rounders, they work just fine although I prefer my pmag 10/20's.

donking
11-02-2010, 12:42 PM
Add another vote to the C-prod mags. I also installed the UBBT on my 10 rounders.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=262666

feeesh
11-02-2010, 12:59 PM
Has anybody scratched their upper/lower with the metal mags?

Casual_Shooter
11-02-2010, 1:49 PM
I had the mag loaded and when I took the tenth round out, it was pretty snug in there. After the 3rd round, it was easier to take out. I think I just have to break them in for it to be smoother.

When I first got my 10/20 Pmags, I could *barely* fit 10rds in. By the end of the carbine class, they were much better.

zman
11-02-2010, 1:55 PM
Are they the ones designated for GI mags?

Make sure they say Ranger Plates and NOT Pmag Ranger Plates. The design is different too.

Ranger Plates for C-Products & AR-Stoner
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41FeMYw0AaL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
http://westernsportonline.com/images/Magpul%20Ranger%20Plates%20All%20Colors.jpg

Pmag Ranger Plates
http://simplesurvival.info/hp_zencart/images/Pmagranger.jpg

Merc1138
11-02-2010, 1:57 PM

For a rifle made to be dragged through gravel, dropped, dumped into mud, and used as just about everything but and sometimes including a prybar... does it matter?

feeesh
11-02-2010, 2:01 PM
Just cause you can survive a car crash doesn't mean u should go drive into somebody.

I understand the abuse weapons can take. Doesn't change the fact that is like to keep it looking as great as possible.

So please, back to my question.

Merc1138
11-02-2010, 2:05 PM
Just cause you can survive a car crash doesn't mean u should go drive into somebody.

I understand the abuse weapons can take. Doesn't change the fact that is like to keep it looking as great as possible.

Well the metal mags would probably never scratch your perfect condition mint in sealed box rifle that never sees the range.

Yes, if you clank the mag around you might scratch the magwell( :rolleyes: ), but if it's taking you that much effort to get a magazine inserted, you've probably got some other issues to deal with.

I never realized how frail some people thought an AR was.

CrippledPidgeon
11-02-2010, 2:18 PM

That's not the best analogy...

It's more like: Will driving my car make it dirtier than if I just left it in my garage all the time and just sat in it?

If you're changing mags, then the finish in the magwell WILL wear. If you leave the mag locked and top load it, then it won't. With polymer mags, your finish will wear more slowly, but it will still wear.

As long as you're relatively clean with your mag change, and not dragging the corner of the mag against the magwell, the wear will take a long time before it's readily apparent.

+7 for C-Products 10rd mags, which is how many I've owned, and not coincidentally, how many that have been flawless in all the ARs that I've put them in.

RJonesUSC
11-02-2010, 2:24 PM
Just purchased a couple c-products mags for my new ar's thanks to this thread. Thanks for the recommendation.

feeesh
11-02-2010, 2:27 PM
It's never seen the range because it's my first rifle and I'm not done building it yet.

You must have missed the part where said 'I understand the abuse weapons can take'. It's not that I think the rifle is frail- it's that I'm clumsy. Should I buy parts that might scratch up the rifle over time? Or parts that won't? Minimizing wear ans tear. That's all I'm trying to figure out here. Gimmie a break!

UserM4
11-02-2010, 2:32 PM
Anyone have a definitive answer to the follower colors and their meanings? I've always been confused about them.

Merc1138
11-02-2010, 2:33 PM
It's never seen the range because it's my first rifle and I'm not done building it yet.

You must have missed the part where said 'I understand the abuse weapons can take'. It's not that I think the rifle is frail- it's that I'm clumsy. Should I buy parts that might scratch up the rifle over time? Or parts that won't? Minimizing wear ans tear. That's all I'm trying to figure out here. Gimmie a break!

It doesn't matter how hard you try, and if you buy polymer accessories. It WILL happen. Read what others have posted about wear in the mag well, it's gonna happen no matter how much you try to stop it, unless your rifle never sees the outside of the safe. You're worrying yourself over nothing.

6114DAVE
11-02-2010, 2:40 PM
Anyone have a definitive answer to the follower colors and their meanings? I've always been confused about them.

That's the color the company wanted to use??

quattrosam
11-02-2010, 2:57 PM
Quality isn't up to the level of USGI mags, but I haven't had any problems so far with any of mine. I filed down the bottom of the followers a bit so the tenth rd wouldn't be so difficult to load with Ranger plates installed.

joedogboy
11-02-2010, 3:05 PM
+1 for C-Mags. I order direct and get the veteran's discount.

I sometimes have difficulty getting them to seat properly if I insert them, fully loaded, with the bolt forward.

Have experienced this with other 10 round mags as well.

Option 1: Load only 9 rounds per mag.

Option 2: Always lock bolt to the rear before inserting mags.

Option 3: Wear in (either through usage over time, or artificially compressing it) spring so that there is more "give" in the mag.

joedogboy
11-02-2010, 3:08 PM

iirc, they offer 3 different colors in followers.

It allows you to sort your magazines by age, or into other groupings.

It also helps to personalize/identify "your" mags.

For example, my roommate uses orange followers, while I use black. This makes it easy to get the proper mags into the proper range bag at the end of the day.

chesterthehero
11-02-2010, 3:09 PM

no scratches so far.. a bit of wear and i hope its from mags.. if not a robot has been taking liberties with my rifle

+1 for cproducts

donking
11-02-2010, 3:23 PM
That's the color the company wanted to use??

I've seen black and orange. My Guess is that the orange is easier to notice that the mag is empty.

russ69
11-02-2010, 3:28 PM

I like to keep my guns in very nice condition. I do not throw them down the driveway even though I know they are meant to take a certain amount of abuse. It's hard to scratch the lower with a magazine but the magazine will show wear from usage. I like to see a little honest wear, wear that shows that the rifle has been used. I don't like to see scratches, dents and dings but a little surface polishing from use makes me proud that I have used the gun and the good times we have had together. Just like an old friend.

Thanx, Russ

russ69
11-02-2010, 3:33 PM

It used to be black, then it was green, now it's orange. I don't shoot much high volume fire but as long as your magazines feed 100% reliably that's all that matters. Even the best magazine can fail to feed, then it's scrap just like a junk magazine. Buy good quality, test them out and return the loser brands for a refund.

Thanx, Russ

r6raff
11-02-2010, 3:40 PM
+1 10 rnd cmags, they work great, and when they break, I buy new ones for 11 bucks. The basics always work the best imo

pdq_wizzard
11-02-2010, 3:47 PM
c-products mags are the best 10 rounders I have found, I bought some Colt's and they were jam'o pices of crap.

Dreaded Claymore
11-02-2010, 4:09 PM
no scratches so far.. a bit of wear and i hope its from mags.. if not a robot has been taking liberties with my rifle

+1 for cproducts

LOL, I can imagine myself explaining to the police why I shot the pipetting robot at my house. "Officer, I knew this robot from work, it works in the lab down the hall from where I usually am, but when I got home this evening it was trying to rape Charlene! I'm pretty shook up right now and I want to talk to my lawyer please officer."

Dave A
11-02-2010, 6:58 PM
I have C Products, Pro Mags and Colt ten rounders and they all work perfectly. Followers are orange, lt. green and grey respectively. As I recall the C Products and Colts protrude a bit below the mag well, but they all drop out without any assistance.

salazar44
11-03-2010, 12:42 PM

I like to buy used parts on the cheap from 'this guy'...

feeesh
11-04-2010, 4:39 PM
With polymer mags, your finish will wear more slowly, but it will still wear. As long as you're relatively clean with your mag change, and not dragging the corner of the mag against the magwell, the wear will take a long time before it's readily apparent.

It doesn't matter how hard you try, and if you buy polymer accessories. It WILL happen. Read what others have posted about wear in the mag well, it's gonna happen no matter how much you try to stop it, unless your rifle never sees the outside of the safe. You're worrying yourself over nothing.

It's hard to scratch the lower with a magazine but the magazine will show wear from usage. I like to see a little honest wear, wear that shows that the rifle has been used. I don't like to see scratches, dents and dings but a little surface polishing from use makes me proud that I have used the gun

On the subject of the robot, ROFL and thanks everyone- this was what i was looking for.

Darklyte27
11-04-2010, 4:42 PM
I have Cprod 10 rders, they are fine except the front where the bullet side is, the brass can hit the front of the mag, what I did was shave some of the aluminum off so the rd loads without hitting the front.

The better option is just to buy some 20 rd pmags as they dont have that problem.

donking
11-19-2010, 10:31 AM
I like to buy used parts on the cheap from 'this guy'...

... never fired and only dropped once ..