PDA

View Full Version : TheDC Exclusive: NRA spends $20 million this cycle

Paladin
11-02-2010, 6:41 AM
By the time voters go to the polls Tuesday, the National Rifle Association will have spent a total of $20 million dollars this cycle on the election, The Daily Caller has learned.

And while much has been made of NRA endorsements of Democrats in some races, it still appears that an overwhelming amount of the organization’s effort has gone toward Republican campaigns.

In an interview, Chris Cox, the chief lobbyist for the gun lobby, acknowledged how both Republicans and Democrats have touted the organization’s support this year.

“It’s an enviable position for any group to be in,” Cox said. “We have Republicans and Democrats fighting over who is more pro-gun and whose more pro-NRA. That’s a great position for us to be in, and that’s a great position for NRA members to be in.”

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2010/11/01/thedc-exclusive-nra-spends-20-million-this-cycle/#ixzz148FSK2J6

yellowfin
11-02-2010, 7:21 AM
Interesting that we defend our country from the outside with hundreds of billions of dollars but only 20 million from the greater threat from the inside. The lopsidedness of priority is utterly disgusting.

Paladin
11-02-2010, 7:47 AM
Interesting that we defend our country from the outside with hundreds of billions of dollars but only 20 million from the greater threat from the inside.That's the difference between our gov't spending tax dollars and the NRA spending our donations.

Related: the US population is, IIRC, about 330,000,000. There are an estimated 90,000,000 gun owners, yet there are only about 4,000,000 "current" (paid up) NRA members.

Perhaps someone should post a poll, esp in the OT forum, asking how many CGN members are currently NRA members? I wouldn't be surprised if less than 1/3rd of CGN's 15.5k "active" members are current NRA members. Too many Calgunnies gripe about the sad state of our RKBA in CA, yet aren't willing to pull their own weight.

wash
11-02-2010, 9:05 AM
In protest of some of the bad moves NRA makes (interfering with the Heller and McDonald cases then taking credit...), I am not a member and will probably not join any time in the near future.

In California which is one of the leading edges in the fight for second amendment rights, NRA hasn't done enough and nationally they have done things that might not hurt a state with RKBA in their state constitution but could devastate our rights.

NRA needs to change.

They probably do more good than harm but they need to greatly improve that ratio.

mblat
11-02-2010, 9:48 AM
In protest of some of the bad moves NRA makes (interfering with the Heller and McDonald cases then taking credit...), I am not a member and will probably not join any time in the near future.

In California which is one of the leading edges in the fight for second amendment rights, NRA hasn't done enough and nationally they have done things that might not hurt a state with RKBA in their state constitution but could devastate our rights.

NRA needs to change.

They probably do more good than harm but they need to greatly improve that ratio.

probably? Besides..... all right you have differences with NRA.... do you have differences with SAF? If yes, what are they? If not - when have you donated last time?

wash
11-02-2010, 9:49 AM
At GRPC I handed some cash to Alan Gottleib.

Next question.

dfletcher
11-02-2010, 12:07 PM
At GRPC I handed some cash to Alan Gottleib.

Next question.

That's good and more than most do - but in a way, does it count as much as an organization being able to total your name on a membership board? To pollute a line heard a while back "There were 500,000 people at Woodstock. If I hadn't gone there would've been only 499,999 - that wouldn't have been quite as impressive." :p

Havoc70
11-02-2010, 12:10 PM
I am a life member of the NRA, but I don't usually donate to the NRA-ILA. Every time they sent a "Donate X amount and we'll send you this cool stuff" I never got the cool stuff, so to hell with 'em. While that may seem petty, I look at it as "if you can't honor even this agreement, what honor do you have?". If I was an annual member of the NRA I probably wouldn't renew.

Last month I donated $200 to CGF, and I feel better about that than anything else :).

wash
11-02-2010, 12:49 PM
That's good and more than most do - but in a way, does it count as much as an organization being able to total your name on a membership board? To pollute a line heard a while back "There were 500,000 people at Woodstock. If I hadn't gone there would've been only 499,999 - that wouldn't have been quite as impressive." :p
That was just the last time.

I don't want to toot my own horn but I do as much as I can.

bwiese
11-02-2010, 1:03 PM
[/quote

In California which is one of the leading edges in the fight for second amendment rights, NRA hasn't done enough...

Wash,

Gene, Brett, Brandon and many other CGx'ers are NRA members (all lifers I believe).

While some of us may ***** & moan about a certain national legal strategy here or there, it's kinda nice there's a big dog in the room, especially legislatively. There IS a reason we own Congress :) They do a HUGE amount of good, and we CGFers do not want to take away from that especially political aspect.

CA NRA team is doing as much as it can in CA against huge odds - but is unfortunately a bit quiet about it. Someday soon - I'm sure there'll be a venue - I'd love for you to have a chat "without spin" with our CA NRA boys, Paul Payne and Ed Worley and CA director Joel Friedman. There's a lot going on these great guys are helping with.

I'll also add that if NRA could double (and maintain at that level) its membership both in CA and nationally (and CRPA gets to 100K) we get to "go psycho", politically speaking, with the ATF offering free gunsmithing services to us and Alison coming over to wash & wax my gunsafe.

wash
11-02-2010, 1:12 PM
Yeah, I know.

And I know that CGF board members know what's up but many people do not.

At the same time I don't think NRA will change on a national level unless they get called out when they screw up. That's why I protest.

bwiese
11-02-2010, 1:19 PM
Yeah, I know.

At the same time I don't think NRA will change on a national level unless they get called out when they screw up. That's why I protest.

I think the screwups are small / repairable over time, and the successes are big.

Anytime you can mark up a credit card bill to allow guns in national parks, etc. you own the room.

blackberg
11-02-2010, 1:26 PM
well remember, if you are NRA member, you can VOTE, and start influencing what they do, imagine if a good majority of CA firearm owners and enthusiasts where members, we would have a larger voice nationally.

You dont have to give them money beyond your yearly fee, give it to the CGF instead.

Same goes to the the CRPA.

Join the NRA, Join the CRPA, Donate to CGF

-bb

greybeard
11-02-2010, 1:28 PM
Yeah, I know.

Trying going to a few Member's council meeting and see what is going on.

N6ATF
11-03-2010, 1:19 AM
Seems as if NRA's $20 million went way further than victim disarmer Whitman's $200 mil or whatever it ended up being.

http://volokh.com/2010/11/02/2d-amend-results/

nick
11-03-2010, 1:52 AM
The NRA did and continues to do one very important thing, the one without which most efforts would've been moot, provided they would even get started to begin with - it preserved the gun culture in America while working against rather bad odds. Some of the things people accuse them of stem from that - they've been fighting the good battle BEFORE Heller. Just a reminder, Heller is only 2 years old. The NRA has been fighting without RKBA being recognized as a personal right for decades. It minimized the damage (so we can now start from a better position), it prepared the ground, and, once again, it preserved the gun culture.

If I recall correctly, they also had a good reason for their initial opposition to Heller, until the judicial landscape changed.

Much of the work they do isn't as cool and visible, but discarding the HUGE amount of the good work they do is just shortsighted and rather petty, whether you disagree with some of the things they do or not.

Finally, this isn't an either/or situation. Diversity is one of the things that makes our movement strong. The NRA is the 800# gorilla working the legislature and scaring the politicians into being not entirely unreasonable. Groups like CGF some up with outside-the-box thinking and surprising moves that throw the antis off-balance. SAF and CGF sues the crap out of them (as does the NRA, as well). Groups like Pink Pistols work on the myth about gun ownership being just the fancy of overweight white guys (not sure what's wrong with being an overweight white guy, but apparently it's bad). So, there's a place for everybody, and trying to exclude some of the useful (that likely counts GOA/GOC out, although I don't mind being proven wrong on that count) pro-gun orgs makes all of us weaker.

wildhawker
11-03-2010, 2:18 AM
Wash,

Gene, Brett, Brandon and many other CGx'ers are NRA members (all lifers I believe).

While some of us may ***** & moan about a certain national legal strategy here or there, it's kinda nice there's a big dog in the room, especially legislatively. There IS a reason we own Congress :) They do a HUGE amount of good, and we CGFers do not want to take away from that especially political aspect.

CA NRA team is doing as much as it can in CA against huge odds - but is unfortunately a bit quiet about it. Someday soon - I'm sure there'll be a venue - I'd love for you to have a chat "without spin" with our CA NRA boys, Paul Payne and Ed Worley and CA director Joel Friedman. There's a lot going on these great guys are helping with.

I'll also add that if NRA could double (and maintain at that level) its membership both in CA and nationally (and CRPA gets to 100K) we get to "go psycho", politically speaking, with the ATF offering free gunsmithing services to us and Alison coming over to wash & wax my gunsafe.

Concur with Bill; there will be some nits and disagreements, but numbers matter.

Trying going to a few Member's council meeting and see what is going on.

With all due respect, I'd rather let my wife pick a movie.

campperrykid
11-03-2010, 7:45 AM
This:
probably? Besides..... all right you have differences with NRA.... do you have differences with SAF? If yes, what are they? If not - when have you donated last time?

SAF is a winner. And they work well with NRA.
There are , unfortunately , a couple of small , feeble and ineffective family business style organizations ...

Never mind ... I don't even want to get started.