PDA

View Full Version : California Private Party Transfer to CA / Out of State

QEU
11-02-2010, 12:14 AM
I have not sold a rifle for over 15 years and I am not sure what the law is today. I plan to put one of my bolt rifle up for sale, preferrably to CA resident but if no Californian wants it, I'm open to selling to out of state. Years ago when I sold a rifle to out an of state buyer, I simply asked for a signed FFL, verified FFL info, waited for funds to clear, and shipped my rifle to FFL holder.

Has the law changed since? for CA buyers? for out of state buyers?

jtmkinsd
11-02-2010, 12:28 AM
I have not sold a rifle for over 15 years and I am not sure what the law is today. I plan to put one of my bolt rifle up for sale, preferrably to CA resident but if no Californian wants it, I'm open to selling to out of state. Years ago when I sold a rifle to out an of state buyer, I simply asked for a signed FFL, verified FFL info, waited for funds to clear, and shipped my rifle to FFL holder.

Nope...you're right on track...although it's not really necessary for you to get a copy of the receiving FFL's license. In fact, some FFL's will not give individuals copies of their FFL at all...only other FFLs. A quick way to check an FFL's status and mailing address is the link below...you just need the FFL's first 3 and last 5 numbers. :D

https://www.atfonline.gov/fflezcheck/

Oh...and you should include a legible copy of your state ID with the firearm.

Librarian
11-02-2010, 12:29 AM

Nope - last real change at that level was 1991. PPT in CA is meet at FFL, do paperwork, leave gun with FFL, buyer pays FFL PPT fees - and you get the purchase money from the buyer.

Out of state sale should work the way you described.

Munk
11-02-2010, 3:35 AM
it only gets complicated if you get a handgun involved with being sent to a state that has a roster.

Long guns are as you say, check the FFL, get paid, send it out to the FFL.

QEU
11-03-2010, 11:24 PM
thank you for the quick responses.

2gunzbaghdad
12-13-2010, 10:05 AM
When I was in Cali I bought a 92F from a friend but didn't take possession, I now live in Florida and want to get my baby here.

What does my buddy need to do to have it transfered out of his name and sent to me?

Thanks

Munk
12-13-2010, 11:23 AM
When I was in Cali I bought a 92F from a friend but didn't take possession, I now live in Florida and want to get my baby here.

What does my buddy need to do to have it transfered out of his name and sent to me?

Thanks

Find an FFL near you. Tell him you're receiving a handgun, ask what he charges... shop around for a cheaper price. Send the gun. I dont' think FL requires them to be overnighted like CA does.

If it's registered in CA to your friend, he needs to fill out a no longer in possession form (http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/BOF4546NLIP0209.pdf).

hawk1
12-13-2010, 11:28 AM
If it's registered in CA to your friend, he needs to fill out a no longer in possession form (http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/BOF4546NLIP0209.pdf).

Why does he need to fill out that form? :confused:

Librarian
12-13-2010, 11:44 AM
Why does he need to fill out that form? :confused:

Agreed - I think 'might want to fill out the NLIP' but nobody has made it a legal obligation.

hawk1
12-13-2010, 12:12 PM
Agreed - I think 'might want to fill out the NLIP' but nobody has made it a legal obligation.

Yes, or can fill out...

Myself, I can't understand why I should do something to help DOJ.
It's their paperwork nightmare, they should be allowed to wallow in it...:43:

ke6guj
12-13-2010, 12:28 PM
Find an FFL near you. Tell him you're receiving a handgun, ask what he charges... shop around for a cheaper price. Send the gun. I dont' think FL requires them to be overnighted like CA does.CA doesn't require handguns to be overnighted, and neither does federal law. you might be thinking about some shipping policies by some of the common carriers, to minimize employee theft, but it is not a legal requirement backed up by law.

If it's registered in CA to your friend, he needs to fill out a no longer in possession form (http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/BOF4546NLIP0209.pdf).yup, it would be a good idea to inform them so that they can update their records to show that you claim that you aren't the owner anymore.

ke6guj
12-13-2010, 12:30 PM
Yes, or can fill out...

Myself, I can't understand why I should do something to help DOJ.
It's their paperwork nightmare, they should be allowed to wallow in it...:43:

you aren't only helping CADOJ, you might be helping yourself by giving notice that you don't own a specific firearm anymore, in case that in the future a trace happens on the handgun and the paper trail ends with you.