PDA

View Full Version : Do I need a upper with no front iron to mount a low scope on a AR?

cyrus
11-01-2010, 8:42 PM
Do I need a upper with no front iron to mount a low scope on a AR? Can the scope see around or thru it?

Sgt Seahorse
11-01-2010, 8:44 PM
do you prefer a low scope? If you have iron sights just get a riser for your scope.

armygunsmith
11-01-2010, 8:46 PM
Depends on the magnification of the scope. 3 power or better you won't notice, at least that is what I have experienced.

Cyc Wid It
11-01-2010, 8:51 PM
You don't need to replace the whole upper, just the front sight.

CHS
11-01-2010, 8:57 PM
At 3X you'll see a small blur or ghosting in the bottom 1/5th of your scope image. After 4X it should disappear completely.

If you're getting a scope with 4X or better, it won't make ANY difference whether or not you have a front sight on your upper.

supermario
11-01-2010, 9:07 PM
At 3X you'll see a small blur or ghosting in the bottom 1/5th of your scope image. After 4X it should disappear completely.

If you're getting a scope with 4X or better, it won't make ANY difference whether or not you have a front sight on your upper.

+1, I had a 3x ACOG mounted on an AR with a front sight post and I only saw a small blur as stated above. Wasnt in the way at all.

CHS
11-01-2010, 9:14 PM
+1, I had a 3x ACOG mounted on an AR with a front sight post and I only saw a small blur as stated above. Wasnt in the way at all.

I guess I should update my post too..

At under 4X magnification, you will see SOMETHING in your scope image. At 3X it's just a little blur, and most people won't be bothered by it. However, some people WILL be bothered by it, no matter how insignificant the ghosting/blurring really is, and they are the people that will want their front sight removed.

I've used the 1.5X ACOG's on AR's with front posts and not been bothered at all. In fact, I think they're great. You can run and gun with two eyes open, and then close your submissive eye to get a little bump in magnification for longer shots really easily.

But it's all going to come down to personal preference.