PDA

View Full Version : Handgun Sales - Do I have this right?

jgaffney
11-01-2010, 8:29 PM
I've been trolling the online gun auctions, looking for just the right snub nose to keep in my night stand. My current favorite would be the Chief's Special from S&W. I have a C&R license, and I recently obtained a Cert of Eligibility from CA AG. But, where does that leave me?

I called the AG office a couple of times during the COE application process. The first thing I learned is that you can get completely different answers, depending on who you talk to. As far as used handguns, though, I think the definitive answer was this:

In California, all handgun purchases have to go through a Class 1 FFL. A Class 1 FFL can only handle handguns that are on the approved list. The only exception here is a C&R handgun sold to a C&R license holder with a current COE. But, that means that the selling FFL has to be comfortable with the paperwork.

What this means is that, if you want to get rid of a handgun that is too old to be on the current Approved list, but not old enough to be a C&R yet, you'd better plan on either selling it to an out-of-state buyer or giving it to your son. You can't do anything else with it legally in California. I guess you could use it to pound nails or crack walnuts.

Did I miss something?

Librarian
11-01-2010, 8:41 PM
Or, you can sell it, using an FFL, in a California Private Party Transfer, to another California resident - PPT (http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Buying_and_selling_firearms_in_California#Buying_f rom_a_Private_Party_-_PPT) is exempt from the Roster.

Connor P Price
11-01-2010, 8:50 PM
Or, you can sell it, using an FFL, in a California Private Party Transfer, to another California resident - PPT (http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Buying_and_selling_firearms_in_California#Buying_f rom_a_Private_Party_-_PPT) is exempt from the Roster.

^This.

PPT is exempt, so pretty much the only thing you couldn't do is sell it by consignment through an ffl because that isn't covered by the PPT exemption, or mail it to an FFL somewhere in CA for the buyer to dros. As long as its done face to face your good to go.

glockwise2000
11-01-2010, 9:56 PM
FTF is the best route to obstaining such.

jgaffney
11-02-2010, 9:10 AM
Thanks. So, why did I spend $22 to get the COE?

Ron-Solo
11-02-2010, 9:57 AM
Thanks. So, why did I spend $22 to get the COE?

To avoid the 10 day wait on C&R guns, buy ammo on line after February if the challenges to AB962 are not successful, buy more than one handgun in 30 days if you wish.......

Just because! :cool:

andalusi
11-02-2010, 5:09 PM
C&R handguns are exempt from the roster. Though I think they still need to be 50+ years old no matter what.

rromeo
11-02-2010, 5:25 PM
You don't need an 03ffl and COE to purchase C&R handguns.