PDA

View Full Version : Opinion on Spikes Tactical light uppers?

problemchild
11-01-2010, 5:11 PM
Thinking of topping my complete lower with a light upper. Any opinions on s Spikes upper? Do they run smooth without hiccups?

sker13
11-01-2010, 7:10 PM
I have been looking at this upper as well. Heard nothing but positive.

vincentk
11-01-2010, 7:15 PM
I was looking at one as well, and heard no complaints. However, a BCM upper is not much more expensive, so I bought from them instead.

problemchild
11-02-2010, 10:54 PM
I was looking at one as well, and heard no complaints. However, a BCM upper is not much more expensive, so I bought from them instead.

350 dollars more

Noah3683
11-02-2010, 11:12 PM
Spikes lightweight 16" upper $525
BCM $385 +BCG & CH $135 +handguards $20 = $540

where the hell do you get $350 more? Lets try comparing apples to apples here, not apples to watermelons. Besides BCM is a little better quality.
You can get the Spikes down around $475, but having run both, I would buy the BCM. Better yet get a custom Daniel Defense with a lite rail or omega x rail and cold hammer forged barrel for $649. Those rails run $300 alone

problemchild
11-03-2010, 8:06 AM
Spikes lightweight 16" upper $525
BCM $385 +BCG & CH $135 +handguards $20 = $540

where the hell do you get $350 more? Lets try comparing apples to apples here, not apples to watermelons. Besides BCM is a little better quality.
You can get the Spikes down around $475, but having run both, I would buy the BCM. Better yet get a custom Daniel Defense with a lite rail or omega x rail and cold hammer forged barrel for $649. Those rails run $300 alone

I compared this..... (comes with bcg/b)

http://www.spikestactical.com/z/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=63_134&products_id=468

To this.......

(this one needs a bcg/b added for $135)

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-16-Mid-Length-LIGHT-WEIGHT-Upper-Receiver-p/bcm-urg-mid-16lw%20ddl9.htm

Cyc Wid It
11-03-2010, 8:22 AM

http://www.spikestactical.com/z/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=63_134&products_id=468

To this.......

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-16-Mid-Length-LIGHT-WEIGHT-Upper-Receiver-p/bcm-urg-mid-16lw%20ddl9.htm

Look at the differences in barrel and rail, it's not a similar comparison.

mike_the_wino
11-03-2010, 8:22 AM
I went with this one (http://www.spikestactical.com/z/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=63_134&products_id=444) and I couldn't be happier. Feels good, shoots straight and looks like million bucks when I slapped an Aimpoint on it. It's a bit more than the ones you are looking at but I love it.

Now I just need a sling......

sker13
11-03-2010, 8:27 AM
You are looking at the Tactical version. Without the foregrips Noah is correct. If I was building a true combat weapon I would go with the DD for 649.00 with HF barrel and rails. Otherwise I would go BCM add MOE and be done. I do still think the Spikes is great for the money at 475.00. BCM has had the lightweight on backorder for a while.

Noah3683
11-03-2010, 12:40 PM
Ok, I'll share the link on the DD. Lots of different barrel & rail options. I was actually off by $19 because of the charging handle but these are top notch. I actually dumped my BCM to run the 14.5" midlength with 12" OmegaX rail, and I have zero regrets.

http://www.smartgunner.com/DanielDefenseLiteURG.aspx

Noah3683
11-03-2010, 12:45 PM

To this.......

Like I said apples to watermelons lol. No worries man, but there is a huge quality difference between the two. That rail on the BCM is also available on the DD in the link i provided above and you will be out between $670-$700 depending on which barrel you choose and flash hider being pinned or what not. The DD and BCM are both quite superior in quality to that spikes. The DD is gonna run closer to the price range of that Spikes, and has much better components. Spikes also charges for shipping, or at least they did so you would end up about dead even. The DD is free shipping

problemchild
11-03-2010, 7:06 PM
Ok, I'll share the link on the DD. Lots of different barrel & rail options. I was actually off by $19 because of the charging handle but these are top notch. I actually dumped my BCM to run the 14.5" midlength with 12" OmegaX rail, and I have zero regrets.

http://www.smartgunner.com/DanielDefenseLiteURG.aspx

Is that the pencil barrel? I am trying to build a light rifle for my tiny asian wife.

donking
11-03-2010, 7:12 PM
Have a spikes lower. Have heard nothing bad about spikes in general. Have a spikes on order.

ElvenSoul
11-03-2010, 7:17 PM
What do you intend to do with this rifle? The numero uno question. Build from there.

Noah3683
11-03-2010, 7:32 PM
Is that the pencil barrel? I am trying to build a light rifle for my tiny asian wife.

Yeah they have the pencil "light" barrel in the barrel options. There are different lengths and different gas systems. If you want the very lightest possible, skip the rails and get the bcm 14.5" light profile carbine gas system with pinned a2 flash hider. If you want a rail, the DD 14.5" light with ar15 lite rail 7.0 is gonna be your best bet. Even going to the midlength system will change little in weight and gives you a better gas system

problemchild
11-04-2010, 3:24 AM
Yeah they have the pencil "light" barrel in the barrel options. There are different lengths and different gas systems. If you want the very lightest possible, skip the rails and get the bcm 14.5" light profile carbine gas system with pinned a2 flash hider. If you want a rail, the DD 14.5" light with ar15 lite rail 7.0 is gonna be your best bet. Even going to the midlength system will change little in weight and gives you a better gas system

So I should go with the mid-length not carbine? Do you have a link to that with the light barrel and 7 lite rail?

21SF
11-04-2010, 6:15 AM
Ok first off I have one coming today, not true light version, I'll post pics once arrived.

Second, spikes uses DD CHF barrels.

Third, I would rally like to know how exactly you heard so much bad about spikes? From where ?

Fourth, would really like to see you explain how bcm or DD are better quality, let alone alot better?

I purchased a custom upper with 12" rail, nickle boron bcg, all milspec blah blah for under 800. Where can you do the same?

Do a search for "spikes tactical thread" ....
On m4 carbine . Net or one of those there is a while sub forum for spikes with ALL THE REPORTS OF THE MATERIALS AND QC STANDARS.

Say that about bcm DD or any other maker.

P.s. NOT KNOCKING ANY OTHER MAKER, but come on.

1-shot-1-kill
11-04-2010, 8:21 AM
go with the spikes with the carbine 7" bar rail i have 5 rifles all i will use is spikes from now on the quality is tops and the customer service is great
its a spikes reciever and adams arms chrome lined 1:9 barrel spikes made bcg/charge handle although get the bcm gunfighter charge handle much better

they never have issues have had mine full auto (love texas)put 500 rounds (5 100 round drums) through it non stop no prob got hot but thats it
total round count on it is about 1500-2k no sign of wear just broke in now
for even better preformance get the nickle boron trigger group and bcg well worth the extra that stuff eats up heat and spits it out for real intense shooting
but if only building a range toy stock stuff works great all surpass milspec req.

Noah3683
11-04-2010, 2:03 PM
Ok first off I have one coming today, not true light version, I'll post pics once arrived.

Second, spikes uses DD CHF barrels.

Third, I would rally like to know how exactly you heard so much bad about spikes? From where ?

Fourth, would really like to see you explain how bcm or DD are better quality, let alone alot better?

I purchased a custom upper with 12" rail, nickle boron bcg, all milspec blah blah for under 800. Where can you do the same?

On m4 carbine . Net or one of those there is a while sub forum for spikes with ALL THE REPORTS OF THE MATERIALS AND QC STANDARS.

Spikes uses FN barrels on their regular LE uppers. They use DD in their CHF uppers which are considerably more money so your info is misleading. Also funny you mention M4carbine.net since spikes is a major sponsor there. Check out this chart of the top MFG's below in the link. Where is Spikes on that chart again? I don't see where anyone said they were so bad either. Saying something is better isn't saying there is so much bad about the other so stop trolling. The quality difference I was referring to is a regular barrel, non HPT'd components, and a wide heavy rail compared against a CHF barreled, top tier upper with the best rails on the market. I was comparing the links plain & simple buddy. There is a reason that BCM was so much money and they are using Sabre Defence barrels (long proven military performance) . I have run Spikes, Bcm, Colt, and now DD. The BCM & DD are the best overall IMO, this DD gives you comparable quality to BCM, and better barrel at a lower cost. I actually liked Colt the least due to really sloppy fit. Spikes is a good value, but for little more, you get better QC and I'm sorry but DD rails blow that spikes BAR out of the water. So do Troy, Samson, LaRue, and even MI. The fact that you don't even actually have it yet with extensive first hand experience shows you don't even have a dog in the fight anyway. The consensus you will generally find will be and you can argue that the top 2 tiers are pretty much on even ground, there are just different little nuances:
Tier 1. Colt/BCM
Tier 2. Daniel Defense/LMT/Noveske
Tier 3. Sabre Defence (QC has dropped them just below the first 5)/S&W/CMMG/Spikes/Armalite
Tier 4. Stag/Bushmaster/RRA/DPMS/Olympic/Del-Ton

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pwswheghNQsEuEhjFwPrgTA&gid=5

Noah3683
11-04-2010, 2:17 PM
So I should go with the mid-length not carbine? Do you have a link to that with the light barrel and 7 lite rail?
A mid length offers more reliability due to less pressure in the gas system. It will also offer a lighter recoil pulse for your wife. Its the same link, you just select your options. To go with the mid you would want either the 10th or 13th barrel down the list (14.5" or 16"), the 4th rail which would be the ar15 lite rail 9.0, then if you went with the 14.5" you would need the pinned flash hider for $19 more. this would put you out at $700 after adding the BCG and CH. You won't have regrets with the spikes though unless you're like me always wanting something better. Since it will be for your wife too, I'm sure you'd be plenty satisfied as is. However if you are going to want the rail and not just basic handguards, the DD is better quality at basically the same price point. If you just want the basic setup with regular handguards go with the BCM or Spikes. You can find the spikes cheaper from other vendors than going direct

problemchild
11-04-2010, 3:46 PM
A mid length offers more reliability due to less pressure in the gas system. It will also offer a lighter recoil pulse for your wife. Its the same link, you just select your options. To go with the mid you would want either the 10th or 13th barrel down the list (14.5" or 16"), the 4th rail which would be the ar15 lite rail 9.0, then if you went with the 14.5" you would need the pinned flash hider for $19 more. this would put you out at $700 after adding the BCG and CH. You won't have regrets with the spikes though unless you're like me always wanting something better. Since it will be for your wife too, I'm sure you'd be plenty satisfied as is. However if you are going to want the rail and not just basic handguards, the DD is better quality at basically the same price point. If you just want the basic setup with regular handguards go with the BCM or Spikes. You can find the spikes cheaper from other vendors than going direct

Spoke with them on the phone and then gave them an order. Cant wait to try it out.

What is 1k of re-loadable ammo going for at the gunshow these days?

Noah3683
11-04-2010, 3:53 PM
Spoke with them on the phone and then gave them an order. Cant wait to try it out.

What is 1k of re-loadable ammo going for at the gunshow these days?

Usually about $300 check out palmettostatearmory.com

They got federal 5.56 XM193 for $309 which is a real good price. They got PMC Bronze for $299. I think I paid $319 for the PMC at the show back in August. Which upper did you go with?

problemchild
11-04-2010, 4:23 PM
Usually about $300 check out palmettostatearmory.com

They got federal 5.56 XM193 for $309 which is a real good price. They got PMC Bronze for $299. I think I paid $319 for the PMC at the show back in August. Which upper did you go with?

I got the 16" Light barrel, mid length, 12" lite rail , bcg+ charg $695 free shipping

Thank you for the link. Without your link I would have paid much more or got much less.

Hey one last question. If I pin this new upper on my registered RAW lower can my wife shoot it at the range or do I need to buy another lower for this upper? Is it legal for her to shoot my RAW?

Noah3683
11-04-2010, 4:58 PM
I got the 16" Light barrel, mid length, 12" lite rail , bcg+ charg $695 free shipping

Thank you for the link. Without your link I would have paid much more or got much less.

Hey one last question. If I pin this new upper on my registered RAW lower can my wife shoot it at the range or do I need to buy another lower for this upper? Is it legal for her to shoot my RAW?
Very nice choice. I went with the 12" rail myself. Yes it is legal for her to shoot provided you are present. If she is ever going to go out solo just get another lower.

xm177
11-04-2010, 6:16 PM
Don't listen to what anybody says. Spikes is good-to-go. Really can't go wrong once you hit a certain level - ie. Colt, LMT, Noveske, BCM, Spikes, etc.

jonzer77
11-04-2010, 6:36 PM
Don't listen to what anybody says. Spikes is good-to-go. Really can't go wrong once you hit a certain level - ie. Colt, LMT, Noveske, BCM, Spikes, etc.

+1 I have a spikes upper and it eats anything, brass or steel.

BoonieGhost
11-04-2010, 9:15 PM
Thinking of topping my complete lower with a light upper. Any opinions on s Spikes upper? Do they run smooth without hiccups?

I just got done with a complete Spikes midlength upper on a Spikes lower with their Nickle Boron BCG & Battle trigger and its smooth as butter! I havent havent gotten to shoot it super far yet, but its incredibly accurate out to 300yards!

bondmid003
11-04-2010, 9:40 PM
I bought one of their M4 uppers exactly a year ago and paid about 200 more than what they are going for now...f my life

donking
11-19-2010, 10:40 AM
Spikes uses FN barrels on their regular LE uppers. They use DD in their CHF uppers which are considerably more money so your info is misleading.

Not sure what you mean by CHF being "considerably more money". On the order I placed a month ago it was $75 more for a CHF barrel. That is not a lot compared to the total gun cost or to the cost of ammo over the life of the gun.

21SF
11-19-2010, 10:53 AM
Spikes uses FN barrels on their regular LE uppers. They use DD in their CHF uppers which are considerably more money so your info is misleading. Also funny you mention M4carbine.net since spikes is a major sponsor there. Check out this chart of the top MFG's below in the link. HAHA Funny YOU should mention the "CHART" when THE person who made the chart a member at M4.net he said he would add it later, he personally when to Spikes facility and tested there rifles.?Where is Spikes on that chart again? I don't see where anyone said they were so bad either. Saying something is better isn't saying there is so much bad about the other so stop trolling. The quality difference I was referring to is a regular barrel, non HPT'd components, HMM SPREADING MISINFORMATION, NICE. Go to m4 and find all the testing docs.and a wide heavy rail compared against a CHF barreled, top tier upper with the best rails on the market. I was comparing the links plain & simple buddy. There is a reason that BCM was so much money and they are using Sabre Defence barrels (long proven military performance) . I have run Spikes, Bcm, Colt, and now DD. The BCM & DD are the best overall IMO, this DD gives you comparable quality to BCM, and better barrel at a lower cost. I actually liked Colt the least due to really sloppy fit. Spikes is a good value, but for little more, you get better QC and I'm sorry but DD rails blow that spikes BAR out of the water. So do Troy, Samson, LaRue, and even MI. The fact that you don't even actually have it yet with extensive first hand experience shows you don't even have a dog in the fight anyway. The consensus you will generally find will be and you can argue that the top 2 tiers are pretty much on even ground, there are just different little nuances:
Tier 1. Colt/BCM
Tier 2. Daniel Defense/LMT/Noveske
Tier 3. Sabre Defence (QC has dropped them just below the first 5)/S&W/CMMG/Spikes/Armalite
Tier 4. Stag/Bushmaster/RRA/DPMS/Olympic/Del-Ton

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pwswheghNQsEuEhjFwPrgTA&gid=5

Your so full of crap its funny, but im done arguing with people like you.

stormy_clothing
11-19-2010, 3:24 PM
as long as you have decent mags and an upper with correct feed ramps there isn't much difference in reliability I ditched all of my DI rifle uppers and went with GP uppers which are now in the same price range so that may be something to consider for reliability as well.

gmcal
11-19-2010, 5:48 PM

Paul, the owner of BCM, posted this on M4C before Spikes:

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=55930

What you'll also find about BCM is numerous AAR's stating how well they performed. I've yet to find one about Spikes. That doesn't mean Spikes aren't good but there does not seem to be many of them put through carbine courses. The 6.8SPC from Spikes looks very good, but I like BCM and probably stick with them since mine has ran so well. YMMV.

Noah3683
11-19-2010, 7:58 PM
Your so full of crap its funny, but im done arguing with people like you.

Yeah it's funny you keep saying go to m4 yet Spikes own website doesn't even claim that all parts are hp and mp tested. The only one spreading the misinformation is you. You want to suggest it is something that it's not. It IS one of the top uppers for price as a basic upper. It isn't the same quality as BCM/DD, and it isn't a better value once quality rails are added. As far as that $75 more for the CHF barrel, well that puts you over the cost of the DD, and actually Spikes shows a $115 difference so again there is no validity to your argument. Furthermore adding a comparable rail puts that CHF spikes in the $950 ballpark. That is hardly a value and tops the DD from all but the most expensive vendors. It's also Extremely funny that you have had this thing 2 weeks and try to talk like you put tens of thousands of rounds through it with no issues or something. I never said they aren't good, but DD and BCM are both better. Sorry to break your heart, but you don't see nearly the amount of "issue" threads for BCM and DD as you do for Spikes. It's cool you want to defend the products you own, or justify your purchase or whatever your issue is, but you started spouting off about it's quality before you even had possession of the product. You even mentioned earlier how spikes had posted their data, but others hadn't which was false. BCM lists their full specs directly on the site, and state they not only MPI test, but HPT all barrels and bolts. I have OWNED all three. BCM and DD are better in quality, plain & simple. My spikes could not reliably run wolf or other steel cased ammo, yet both the DD and BCM eat it like candy, but I'm sure its the ammo being prejudiced against the spikes:rolleyes: Info directly from Spikes below. I don't see anything about HPT and there is no relevance to a part that has been mp tested without HPT first because they know it won't fail the MP test anyway. That is the point of HPT to test the strength and the MPI is supposed to expose any issues AFTERWARDS. The testing on every barrel is due to DD and FN doing it in the first place.

Spike's Tactical 16" M4 LE upper.

Upper Specs-

-Spike's Tactical M4 flat top upper receiver, Machined from a 7075 T6 Mil-Spec Forging with Mil-Spec Type III Hardcoat Anodized finish, T-markings, our logo and M4 feed ramps.

-Barrel is 4150 Chromoly Vanadium Alloy, M4 barrel extention, Chrome chamber and bore, 5.56mm Nato chamber, 1:7 Twist, Magnetic particle testing on every barrel, Phosphate finish.

-M4 Profile with Carbine length gas system.

-Barrel is Phosphate finished under the F marked A2 front sight base.

-The M16 carriers are Chrome lined with a Mil-Spec phosphate finish.

-Forged Mil-Spec carrier key, Chrome lined, attached with Grade 8 hardware and Properly staked.

-MP tested bolt, Each extractor is fitted with a Mil-Spec black insert and Mil-Spec Viton o-ring.

-Double heat shield M4 hand guards.

-A2 Flash Hider.

-Each upper also comes with an ST-T2 buffer.