PDA

View Full Version : SKS REPAIR

furyous68
11-01-2010, 3:51 PM
I have a Norinco SKS. I bought it from my brother. The previous owner decided to grind the rear sights down in order to mount a 40mm scope to it. I ordered a raised sight rail & shell deflector from SKSMAN.COM, and want to know if I can replace the factory rear sight rail. I see it has a press-pin on the bottom side of the sight block, and looks like it's a separate piece from the barrel. Can the barrel be removed from the receiver to allow removal & re-installation from the back end of the barrel so I don't need to deal w/ the gas tube & stuff? I see replacement Yugo sight blocks, but I know the Yugo barrel is threaded.
Thanks!

This gun looks like the bayonet attachment was removed, and the muzzle break/ front sight housing was welded to the barrel. I'll post some pics if it'll help.

SJgunguy24
11-01-2010, 4:17 PM
Everything has to go if you want to change the read sight base. The barrel will stay but all parts muzzle back need to be removed.

todd2968
11-01-2010, 4:38 PM
Why not add a tack rail to the receiver like most. If you slide the scope back far enough you don't need the ugly shell deflector.
Keep in mind most 7.62x39 rounds have almost no accuracy past 100 yards

SJgunguy24
11-01-2010, 4:46 PM
[QUOTE=todd2968;5225305]Why not add a tack rail to the receiver like most. Keep in mind most 7.62x39 rounds have almost no accuracy past 100 yards[/QUOT
Really, says who. I'll wait for Greg to chime in and define accuracy for me but if I'm shooting at you at anything inside of 400 yards, your gonna have a s**t day. That's a fact, don't underestimate the Russian round, any of them.

furyous68
11-01-2010, 5:08 PM
Why not add a tack rail to the receiver like most. If you slide the scope back far enough you don't need the ugly shell deflector.
Keep in mind most 7.62x39 rounds have almost no accuracy past 100 yards

FUD!!!! You're nuts! I nail the small (6" IIRC) @ +/-300yds all day long @ my local range. Last time they repainted the large bell (18-24") @ +/-400+ yards, I could tell I was hitting center of the bell with about 4-6" group (looking through a spotting scope, wasn't going to walk 400 yds. to measure!), and there was a steady crosswind downrange. I'm not saying it's a sniper rifle, but it'll do in a pinch. And this is with cheap *** WOLF ammo. I've taken down at least 2 pigs at around 200 yds.

The reason I want to replace the rear sights is because I love this gun & want to fix the only glaring damage it has. But, it sounds like it would be cheaper to buy a $399 Yugo from Big 5 instead of having a gunsmith tear it apart.

SJgunguy24
11-01-2010, 5:23 PM
I would tear one of my SKS rifles down first but I'm sure it'll cost less then a Yugo for me to do the work.

BatBoy2 75
11-01-2010, 10:12 PM
I have a Norinco SKS. I bought it from my brother. The previous owner decided to grind the rear sights down in order to mount a 40mm scope to it. I ordered a raised sight rail & shell deflector from SKSMAN.COM, and want to know if I can replace the factory rear sight rail. I see it has a press-pin on the bottom side of the sight block, and looks like it's a separate piece from the barrel. Can the barrel be removed from the receiver to allow removal & re-installation from the back end of the barrel so I don't need to deal w/ the gas tube & stuff? I see replacement Yugo sight blocks, but I know the Yugo barrel is threaded.
Thanks!

This gun looks like the bayonet attachment was removed, and the muzzle break/ front sight housing was welded to the barrel. I'll post some pics if it'll help.

Take the barreled action out of the stock and take some pictures of the entire barrel. Contrary to popular belief, not all Norrico SKS have pressed in barrels. When you take pictures, pay attention to where the barrel meets the receiver.

Unfortunately, the rear sight is going to have to removed towards the end of the barrel. this means the Gas block and stock ferrule is going to have to come off also. If the front sight has been ground down, like you stated, the rear sight should fit over it. Putting everything back on is not to difficult.

Also, in my experience, a yugo rear sight inner diameter is going to be smaller than a Chinese/Norrinco rear sight. So a Yugo rear sight probably won't work unless you have the barrel turned down.

The other option is to determine if you have a threaded barrel or a pressed in barrel. With a threaded barrel, you can purchase a complete Chinese barrel with rear sight, stock ferrule, gas block and Front sight/bayo assembly. Numrich still has threaded sks barrels w/ all accessories for $36.85. Swapping out a threaded sks barrel is fairly straight forward.

The other option is to sell it off or part it off and then buy another sks.

furyous68
11-03-2010, 12:03 PM
Thanks guys! I'll take some pics. How can I tell if it's threaded or pressed? Looking in from the reciever, I can't tell.

EDIT: I found this on that site: http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Detail.aspx?pid=501600&catid=0

This looks like I could replace everything without worrying about whether or not the barrel is threaded.... anyone else think that?

BatBoy2 75
11-04-2010, 6:51 PM
Thanks guys! I'll take some pics. How can I tell if it's threaded or pressed? Looking in from the reciever, I can't tell.

EDIT: I found this on that site: http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Detail.aspx?pid=501600&catid=0

This looks like I could replace everything without worrying about whether or not the barrel is threaded.... anyone else think that?

A pressed barrel will be completely round as it meets the receiver. A threaded barrel will be flat on the top and bottom as the barrel meets the receiver.

furyous68
11-05-2010, 10:53 AM
Oh.. ok, I'll take a look tonight. I'm pretty sure it's a pressed barrel if that's the case.

But what about the replacement barrel I provided the link for... it has the receiver stub already attached... might be easier to buy that than trying to mess w/ removing my existing barrel. What do you guys about that? Only $35, and I can set aside my current barrel & receiver stub as a spare set.

furyous68
11-05-2010, 10:57 AM
never mind... just realized the receiver stub is a hacked receiver! Feel like a dumbass! LOL

BatBoy2 75
11-07-2010, 9:45 AM
never mind... just realized the receiver stub is a hacked receiver! Feel like a dumbass! LOL

You're a bit confused. The barrel can easily be unscrewed from the stub receiver and then swapped out with your old barrel.

If you have a pressed in barrel, we'll that's going to bit a bit tougher. However, some people have done it. In theory it's no harder than pressing in an AK barrel.

Go to Survivors SKS forum and do a search on barrel replacement; you'll find everything you'll need to know.

furyous68
11-07-2010, 5:35 PM
Thanks again.. on another note- I found a complete barrel & receiver on gunbroker.com. I'm going to try and convince him to do a CA sale. I already have a local FFL who agreed to do the transfer if he goes for it. I could build a whole new one from that. I've seen everything else for sale to complete it on SKSMAN.com