PDA

View Full Version : cop denied vote due to his sidearm (Bangor, Maine )

gunsmith
11-01-2010, 1:10 PM
http://www.bangordailynews.com/story/Greater-Bangor/Bangor-police-officer-denied-right-to-vote-after-refusing-to-surrender-weapon,157603

He refused to hand it over to another uniformed cop. Denied right to vote.
Can a regular person open carry and vote?

See also the update story (http://www.bangordailynews.com/story/Greater-Bangor/Bangor-election-warden-dismissed-over-cop-gun-flap,157664): the election official was dismissed for this act. // Librarian

Deft
11-01-2010, 1:12 PM
I swear there was a rule (law?) about ANYONE being armed inside a voting area.

dav
11-01-2010, 1:12 PM
No, it is considered intimidation. Other voters can be influenced by armed people nearby.

Cop Fail.

Helpful_Cub
11-01-2010, 1:14 PM
He couldn't just lock it up in his car?

gunsmith
11-01-2010, 1:16 PM
He couldn't just lock it up in his car?

he wouldn't, he was in uniform.

rips31
11-01-2010, 1:19 PM
wrong!

cop is in full uniform and just performing his civic duty. he was neither endorsing nor stumping for a candidate, so no intimidation/influencing can be deduced.

the op's link was updated to show that the polling warden was dismissed and the officer's c.o.p. defending him.

No, it is considered intimidation. Other voters can be influenced by armed people nearby.

Cop Fail.

Untamed1972
11-01-2010, 1:19 PM
I thought the law about no guns in a polling place did not apply to LEOs who are in uniform and voting during hours they are actually on duty? Or does the on that vary by state?

campperrykid
11-01-2010, 1:39 PM
I held a CCW in Maine for a few years and lived near Bangor.
Maine has very few location restrictions on legal CCW. Historically , very few people bother with defensive open carry " In town " . CCW's cost about $30.00 when I lived there and the state was a no bull "shall issue " place .
There was even a multi track issue system , local , county , or state agencies all could issue. If the local authority was a PITA , just bypass them.
Mat Dunlap , the Maine Sec of State mentioned in the story , has been a very effective leader in the 2nd Amendment movement for as long as I can remember.
The polling place worker was a complete moron and needed to be fired. Gotta love a happy ending.

oc3068
11-01-2010, 2:12 PM
>> “What if someone else had come in with a gun concealed? Then I wouldn’t have my gun to protect people and do my job,” he said.

I'm pretty sure that's not what he meant.. but.. you need your gun just because someone came in with a gun concealed?

dav
11-01-2010, 2:14 PM
I stand corrected and guess I must apologize.

I thought that because of the "Chicago Machine" and people being "forced" via intimidation to vote as the current political incumbents wanted that police were prohibited from being armed within a specified distance of polling places.

Must have been a "too real" dream after watching an old gangster movie. :sleeping:

lbos
11-01-2010, 2:18 PM
http://www.bangordailynews.com/story/Greater-Bangor/Bangor-police-officer-denied-right-to-vote-after-refusing-to-surrender-weapon,157603

Bangor police officer denied right to vote after refusing to surrender weapon

10/31/10 01:53 pm Updated: 11/1/10 04:56 pm
By Eric Russell
BDN Staff

Update: The election warden who turned the officer away has been dismissed, and the Bangor police chief has stated at a press conference that officers are not required to surrender their weapon at the polls.

As a practice, let us not quote copyrighted material in full. There are Disturbances in the Force which have been leading to web sites being sued for that. The link, and an intro paragraph should be OK. Please allow other readers to follow the links as they choose. // Librarian

Havoc70
11-01-2010, 2:25 PM
>> “What if someone else had come in with a gun concealed? Then I wouldn’t have my gun to protect people and do my job,” he said.

I'm pretty sure that's not what he meant.. but.. you need your gun just because someone came in with a gun concealed?

He probably just didn't fully articulate his thought. My guess is he was saying what if some guy comes in with an illegal concealed pistol and commences to cause mayhem. At that point, he couldn't help the posted officer contain the situation if he relinquishes his firearm. Good on him for standing up and not giving in. It seems like that election warden has an agenda.

JDoe
11-01-2010, 3:17 PM
Should citizens be allowed to vote while armed?

Yes - 1577 votes(91%)

No - 151 votes (9%)

Wherryj
11-01-2010, 3:25 PM
He probably just didn't fully articulate his thought. My guess is he was saying what if some guy comes in with an illegal concealed pistol and commences to cause mayhem. At that point, he couldn't help the posted officer contain the situation if he relinquishes his firearm. Good on him for standing up and not giving in. It seems like that election warden has an agenda.

He should have just given it to the other officer. If someone had pulled out an illegal weapon, it's easy to get it back.

loather
11-01-2010, 3:28 PM
It seems like that election warden has an agenda.

... or the election warden is trying to apply the law equally to everyone. I don't see a problem with this.

l8apex
11-01-2010, 3:30 PM
Glad to see that the worker was dismissed. Some 'interpretations' of whats right & wrong is completely skewed, and it is magnified when they are in positions of any authority. Good on the officer to sticking to his guns.

WokMaster1
11-01-2010, 3:41 PM
Should citizens be allowed to vote while armed?

Yes - 1577 votes(91%)

No - 151 votes (9%)

Wow. That's the whole population of Maine voting here. They take their voting seriously.

:D

bigstick61
11-01-2010, 3:50 PM

Bangor police officer denied right to vote after refusing to surrender weapon

10/31/10 01:53 pm Updated: 11/1/10 04:56 pm
By Eric Russell
BDN Staff

Update: The election warden who turned the officer away has been dismissed, and the Bangor police chief has stated at a press conference that officers are not required to surrender their weapon at the polls.

edited //Librarian

Says he would never relinquish his weapon. I wonder how his reaction would be to a non-LEO who feels the same in a situation where carry is lawful.

Flouncer
11-01-2010, 7:32 PM
Come Freaking Awn. Mail in the ballot. Go to sleep. Talk to your dog while you do it. Save the drama for your mama. :eek:

Peter.Steele
11-01-2010, 7:56 PM
I held a CCW in Maine for a few years and lived near Bangor.
Maine has very few location restrictions on legal CCW. Historically , very few people bother with defensive open carry " In town " . CCW's cost about $30.00 when I lived there and the state was a no bull "shall issue " place .
There was even a multi track issue system , local , county , or state agencies all could issue. If the local authority was a PITA , just bypass them.

I'm from Maine originally.

There's also no restrictions on what you can carry, so long as you legally can own it and you can conceal it. I'm a big enough guy that, with a long winter coat, I can conceal a G3 on a one-point sling.

(Or at least this was true when I still lived in Maine and still had a G3.)

socal2310
11-01-2010, 8:20 PM
He should have just given it to the other officer. If someone had pulled out an illegal weapon, it's easy to get it back.

Minor infringements become egregious rights violations thanks to attitudes like that.

In reality, there are no "minor" infringements, merely those that are less egregious than others. We could lose all of the advancements we've made in gun rights made over the last few years in a generation if we ever again become complacent. How many "understandings" have become unwritten rules and then laws merely by default?

Ryan

OleCuss
11-01-2010, 8:34 PM
IIRC, in California a cop can be armed while voting. Too much to ask them to dump their sidearm in order to vote.

Technically, in California you can CCW and vote as well. But improper parsing of the code can make it look like you are not supposed to CCW while voting so it's probable the better part of discretion to avoid that practice.