PDA

View Full Version : Big 5 sale this week ~ Mosin 91/30 $89, Marlin 1894, $334

TonyNorCal
06-14-2006, 9:34 PM
Big 5 (at least in NorCal) has...

Mosin 91/30s for $89 (which is generally about as low as they go...maybe lower once in a blue moon)

Marlin 1894 Leverguns (.357, .30-.30, .44 mag) for $334.

Two fine firearms at good prices.

SVT_Fox
06-14-2006, 10:16 PM
the steyr is on sale down here for 115

taloft
06-14-2006, 10:27 PM
Actually, they have both flyers posted for my local stores. The one sale started today, this is in addition to the normal weekly ad. Some good prices.

Stanze
06-15-2006, 2:43 AM
I was at Big 5 in Chula Vista last night, the selection of Mosins were in nice shape.

Do you still have to wait the 10 day waiting period on these over 50 year old Curios and Relics? If so, is that a state law or store policy?

jmlivingston
06-15-2006, 7:02 AM
Yes, you still have the 10-day wait and that's state law. Certain exemptions apply such as COE holders, but don't necessarily expect anyone behind the counter at a Big5 to even understand what a COE is. I'm not bashing Big5, that's just the way it is. That said, they do have good prices and some nice rifles. And it's especially nice to be able to look the Mosin's and "handpick" your own.

John

jp.cherokee
06-15-2006, 7:20 AM
They are $89.00 down here also. QUESTION: What inspection steps should you take to make as sure as possible you are getting a good model???
Thanks,

The Soup Nazi
06-15-2006, 7:57 AM
Its just me, but I would assume you probably better check the receivers for three things, first, if serial # match (but its Big Five, if you're buying a Mosin nagant from them, I wouldn't count on it and many Mosins were mismatched anyways), which arsenal it was manufactured in (Tula=Star+arrow, Izhevsk=Triangle+arrow, Tula are considered a bit less common), and check if theres the big evil import billboard stamped on (it can be as bad as a paragraph), from what gun store employees have told me in the past, there are some that manage to escape the import mark.

I'd look at the stocks for obvious reasons to make sure the thing is dinged up that bad, and I guess what some people do is actually perform a headgauge test before and taking apart the rifle and looking at the bore to check for pitting.

Well, good luck, I'm in a market for an M91/30 as well, but I'm a bit more picky about what I want and I'm sure Big Five doesn't have it.

guimus
06-15-2006, 7:26 PM
Well, I just started the long wait for my 1894. $385 out the door isn't too bad! It's a good thing I did my research before showing up, though. I had to lead them through some of the dros procedures!!! I'm pretty sure half of the folks working there couldn't even legally own a firearm.

dmckean44
06-16-2006, 4:03 PM
I don't think I've ever seen new 1894s priced this low in CA.

PanzerAce
06-16-2006, 4:07 PM
Its just me, but I would assume you probably better check the receivers for three things, first, if serial # match (but its Big Five, if you're buying a Mosin nagant from them, I wouldn't count on it and many Mosins were mismatched anyways), which arsenal it was manufactured in (Tula=Star+arrow, Izhevsk=Triangle+arrow, Tula are considered a bit less common), and check if theres the big evil import billboard stamped on (it can be as bad as a paragraph), from what gun store employees have told me in the past, there are some that manage to escape the import mark.

I'd look at the stocks for obvious reasons to make sure the thing is dinged up that bad, and I guess what some people do is actually perform a headgauge test before and taking apart the rifle and looking at the bore to check for pitting.

Well, good luck, I'm in a market for an M91/30 as well, but I'm a bit more picky about what I want and I'm sure Big Five doesn't have it.

From what I have seen at my Big5, the numbers all match on the Mosins and Mauser, and the import markings are either non existant or not noticeable in general.

oh, and the online add for the Mosin at my big 5 says that it is 7.62x39 :p

Ironballs
06-16-2006, 7:09 PM
great deal on the marlin... most owners love their 1894's in .357...

guimus
06-16-2006, 7:44 PM
Yep, I'm getting rather excited about picking it up...9 days to go! Any recommedations on:
1)cheap .38 ammo for plinking
2)cheapish .357 for heavier plinking
3)a nice, strong all-around .357 for special occasions