PDA

View Full Version : Out of State Handgun purchase questions

badmonkey
11-01-2010, 9:17 AM
A guy i know, who used to live in MO and now resides in the bay area, wants to sell me his 2 S&W revolvers (629 and 686). The guns are currently in MO, and he's tried to use an FFL out there to ship to my FFL in socal--but had trouble finding a MO FFL that would ship to CA.

I told him he could check his guns on the plane the next time he visits MO, and use a bay area FFL to transfer to my FFL. But he's wondering if he needs to fill out any paperwork before he sells me the guns through FFL transfer or if he can just go to his FFL, (from the airport if he wanted to) and sell me the guns?

I'm aware of the 1 in 30, and will have to wait 30 days to start 10-day jail on the 2nd gun, but i can wait.

any other issues i may not be seeing?

thanks guys.

paul0660
11-01-2010, 9:28 AM
Do you know if they are on the safe handgun roster? It makes a difference in the possibilities for doing this.

badmonkey
11-01-2010, 9:47 AM
Do you know if they are on the safe handgun roster? It makes a difference in the possibilities for doing this.

Yeah, they're both on the Roster.

jtmkinsd
11-01-2010, 11:06 AM
From what I see, your not that far from the bay area...maybe you could talk him into paying you a visit (day trip or weekend) to do a PPT once he gets the guns here. You could DROS both guns at once and not have to wait the 30 days (PPTs are exempt from 1 in 30 rule). Plus you'd save a little coin ($35 for first transfer and $31 for second). If not, your plan will work fine.

badmonkey
11-01-2010, 1:22 PM
From what I see, your not that far from the bay area...maybe you could talk him into paying you a visit (day trip or weekend) to do a PPT once he gets the guns here. You could DROS both guns at once and not have to wait the 30 days (PPTs are exempt from 1 in 30 rule). Plus you'd save a little coin ($35 for first transfer and $31 for second). If not, your plan will work fine.

thanks. so he doesn't have to fill out form ab991? (http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/ab991frm.pdf)

I'm in the bay area about 2-3x a year--but never more than a few days. as it stands it's still 6 hours away by car--too far to do a PPT--but i'm willing to wait the extra 30 days if need be--i figure a month of alone time with the .357 is probably a good thing before i start messing with the .44.

Mssr. Eleganté
11-01-2010, 1:42 PM
thanks. so he doesn't have to fill out form ab991? (http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/ab991frm.pdf).

He does not need to register them via that form first. After transporting them into California he has 60 days to either register them via that form or transfer them to somebody else through an FFL.

12072(f)(2)(A) On or after January 1, 1998, within 60 days of bringing a pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person into this state, a personal handgun importer shall do one of the following:
(i) Forward by prepaid mail or deliver in person to the Department of Justice, a report prescribed by the department including information concerning that individual and a description of the firearm in question.
(ii) Sell or transfer the firearm in accordance with the provisions of subdivision (d) or in accordance with the provisions of an exemption from subdivision (d).
(iii) Sell or transfer the firearm to a dealer licensed pursuant to Section 12071.
(iv) Sell or transfer the firearm to a sheriff or police department.

I'd also suggest double checking that those exact model numbers are on the Roster if you can't do a PPT with him in person.

badmonkey
11-01-2010, 2:43 PM
He does not need to register them via that form first. After transporting them into California he has 60 days to either register them via that form or transfer them to somebody else through an FFL.

I'd also suggest double checking that those exact model numbers are on the Roster if you can't do a PPT with him in person.

perfect, thank you very much!

biker777
11-01-2010, 3:08 PM
This is one of the reasons CalGuns is so great ...

GoingQuiet
11-03-2010, 11:11 AM
A guy i know, who used to live in MO and now resides in the bay area, wants to sell me his 2 S&W revolvers (629 and 686). The guns are currently in MO, and he's tried to use an FFL out there to ship to my FFL in socal--but had trouble finding a MO FFL that would ship to CA.

I told him he could check his guns on the plane the next time he visits MO, and use a bay area FFL to transfer to my FFL. But he's wondering if he needs to fill out any paperwork before he sells me the guns through FFL transfer or if he can just go to his FFL, (from the airport if he wanted to) and sell me the guns?

I'm aware of the 1 in 30, and will have to wait 30 days to start 10-day jail on the 2nd gun, but i can wait.

any other issues i may not be seeing?

thanks guys.

There is no reason for him to use a MO FFL to ship it to a CA FFL.

There is no federal requirement to go FROM FFL. The sticking point is that individual shipments outside CA do not require CA DOJ approval and FFL to CA FFL shipments do.

Many gun dealers across the country have the policy of "Oh, California? **** that. We're not doing that much work for that little money. Go bother someone else" and their trash is my treasure.

Honestly - its not a lot of work. You do just as much work printing out a UPS label.

jtmkinsd
11-03-2010, 11:26 AM
There is no reason for him to use a MO FFL to ship it to a CA FFL.

Except the fact he can save money. FFLs can ship handguns using the Postal Service Priority Mail, whereas individuals must use either UPS or FedEx Next Day Air...in most cases it is cheaper to find an FFL with a minimal transfer fee to ship the firearm to a CA FFL.

IrishPirate
11-03-2010, 11:30 AM
if you're doing a face to face PPT there's no need to worry about them being on the roster. also, the 1 in 30 doesn't apply to PPT, you can DROS both at the same time.

GoingQuiet
11-03-2010, 4:01 PM
Except the fact he can save money. FFLs can ship handguns using the Postal Service Priority Mail, whereas individuals must use either UPS or FedEx Next Day Air...in most cases it is cheaper to find an FFL with a minimal transfer fee to ship the firearm to a CA FFL.

By the time you pay for USPS Priority + the FFL transfer fee, it becomes a push in most cases. I've never seen an FFL charge less than $25 to do an outbound transfer PLUS whatever they charge to pack the gun.

jtmkinsd
11-03-2010, 4:13 PM
By the time you pay for USPS Priority + the FFL transfer fee, it becomes a push in most cases. I've never seen an FFL charge less than $25 to do an outbound transfer PLUS whatever they charge to pack the gun.

I get $35 for transfer, in most cases less than $20 for shipping handguns including insurance...minimum UPS or FedEx overnight is (depending on weight and insurance) is $75...$20-$25 savings...transfer only dealers are the best bet because we deal in volume and transfer costs are generally less than retailers.

Not to mention the fact more and more FFLs won't accept inbound guns from anyone but other FFLs