PDA

View Full Version : Mobile Me for business?

Zumbeh
11-01-2010, 1:12 AM
Just bought a mobile me account. I want to use it for my small business I own, sole ownership. The salesmen I bought it from said I could use it for my business even if it's technically not allowed. What are your thoughts?

Rivers
11-01-2010, 10:35 AM
Since Apple also allows you to use your MobileMe to host a domain that you own, it seems logical that most domains have a business function. As long as you don't need special support (e-commerce, etc.), it should work fine.

Vin496
11-01-2010, 3:50 PM
I know Suhr Guitars uses MobileMe for their business, and it has been pretty cool to see live updates of available guitars.

http://suhrguitars.com/

Californio
11-01-2010, 5:54 PM
I keep hearing that OSX 10.7 and the new data centers will provide better sync of all devices on Mobile ME - we can only hope.

ocabj
11-01-2010, 6:03 PM
I have MobileMe just for calendar and contact syncing, but am going to let it expire since I've migrated my domains to Google Apps for email and calendaring. I still host my web site on Bluehost, but have opted to host my email on Google since I can take advantage of ActiveSync for push email for free.

What did you plan on using MobileMe for? If you need a webhost, there are better options out there. If you don't want to build a site from scratch using a virtual host, you should check out Squarespace. If you want email and calendaring, then definitely just look into Google Apps.

sfwdiy
11-01-2010, 11:13 PM
Just bought a mobile me account. I want to use it for my small business I own, sole ownership. The salesmen I bought it from said I could use it for my business even if it's technically not allowed. What are your thoughts?

Guess who my webhost is? :thumbsup:

If you need help with anything MobileMe related, gimmie a ring. I'm using it as my hosting service with Google Apps for email, docs, calendar, etc. Works great as long as your website isn't terribly complex, i.e. you don't need MySQL, PHP or something like that.

--B

sfwdiy
11-01-2010, 11:19 PM
What did you plan on using MobileMe for? If you need a webhost, there are better options out there. If you don't want to build a site from scratch using a virtual host, you should check out Squarespace. If you want email and calendaring, then definitely just look into Google Apps.

Google apps works great with MobileMe as a webhost. Generally you can get MobileMe yearly renewals for $69 instead of the usual hundred, which makes it worth it to me. That's about what you'd be paying for a webhost for a year and as long as your site isn't generating dynamic content it's fine.

Plus, there's all the extras that you get with MobileMe that are a huge plus if you're in a position to take advantage of them. Find My iPhone is a great tool if you have one. Their own email is decent. I love the email aliases, they're quite handy. A lot of people use iWeb to make websites these days too. It's a great tool that's easy for most people to use and it plugs straight into the Mobile Me server for no-hassle click-and-drag editing and updating.

Back To My Mac is also a great file sharing/VNC solution if you have more than one Mac, and setup is pretty idiot-proof. No small feat when you consider what you're getting: Essentially dynamic DNS, secure access to your files on all your machines, plus VNC over the public internet. Not bad for $69.

--B