PDA

View Full Version : LAR side charged uppers

silenthunter
10-31-2010, 11:22 PM
anyone have one? any info on performance?

slomofo
10-31-2010, 11:31 PM
They're really expensive, but are quality pieces. The uppers are billet, BCG is all chrome, and you get your choice of left, right, or double sided charging. I would get the left side charger if you want both sides because they charge an extra $50 for both sides, but you can grab a second handle for the other side from Young Manufacturing for a couple bucks.

I like LAR, they're located just down the street from me in West Jordan, UT. I've met the owner a few times, he's a nice guy, and I have a bunch of their lower receivers, but I can't see myself buying one of their uppers just because of the cost. You can grab a regular old DPMS slickside upper for pretty cheap and have it converted to sidecharger for about $60.00.

stormvet
11-01-2010, 9:36 AM
No but I do have a Addax Tactical left side charger piston upper. And it is bad*****. Highly recommend them.

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z207/2814V/DSCN1776.jpg

silenthunter
11-01-2010, 10:57 PM
so the charge handle is on the left but the ejection port is still on the right?

Dreaded Claymore
11-01-2010, 11:26 PM
How about American Spirit Arms side-chargers? Are they any good?

stormvet
11-01-2010, 11:59 PM
so the charge handle is on the left but the ejection port is still on the right?

Correct, it is a standard m4 ejection port. With the charger on the left you never have to remove your trigger hand from the pistol grip. If your right handed of course.

fevillago
11-02-2010, 8:04 AM
How about American Spirit Arms side-chargers? Are they any good?

yes, Addax uses American Spirit Arms side-chargers to build their uppers.

silenthunter
11-02-2010, 12:38 PM
so is there a difference in the performance of a standard charge handle and a side charge? or is it just one of those things like grips, its just what you prefer and what your comfortable with.?

stormvet
11-02-2010, 1:16 PM
It is faster using a side charger, cuts down on the lengh and amount of arm movement needed to get a round in the chamber or clear a malfunction. But you can be plenty fast with a standard charge handle and there are a lot of products out to speed things up. I also own standard ARs and are happy with them. I just always wanted a sidecharger so when the opportunity presented itself, I jumped.

salazar44
11-03-2010, 12:52 PM
from what Chris at Addax told me, the LAR's have a reciprocating side charging handle. That means there is movement externally on the side charging handle. much like an AK or a Kel-Tec. The side chargers from Addax do not have this type of action externally from the upper.