PDA

View Full Version : I gotta say... I love my SCAR 16

biko
10-31-2010, 7:31 PM
I finally had a chance to take my SCAR-16 out and zero the sights. I was positively inclined going in (of course, since I did buy it), but the rifle exceeded my expectations. The recoil impulse is light and getting back on target was very fast. It kinda comes in two phases, which is different but ultimately controllable. Even though some people would prefer a two-stage trigger, I actually like this trigger, especially the very crisp trigger reset.

With brand new rifles, 300+ rounds, no FTF, except once, which was mag related (follower tilt). I can't say that for some other piston rifles I have owned.

Lastly, I was very impressed with the build quality. Stripping and cleaning the SCAR reveals the advantage of contemporary computer aided engineering and current manufacturing capabilities from a large manufacturer. Parts fit closely, without slop, yet are easy to disassemble. For those who get caught up in the reciporating bolt, or plastic stock, they are really missing the sum of the parts. I actually felt the reciprocating bolt as a plus as it provided a positve visual indication of the status of the bolt (although the "two-phase" recoil impulse response provides an informative non-visual stats of the bolt).

I am looking forward to my next set of carbine classes! While I won't sell my Noveske, it probably will now stay in my safe.

Now, need to wait for the SCAR-17....

tiger222
10-31-2010, 8:29 PM
nice, I would like to add one to the stable one day, missed out on the FNC, so a SCAR will have to do.... congrats!

Dhena81
10-31-2010, 10:49 PM
The Scar does feel better than the ACR with that said they are very expensive I will most likely get one in 11 or 12 but not before I buy a few other rifles Ive been putting off. You really prefer it over the Noveske why what does it do better or is it just because its a new toy.

Jorge
11-01-2010, 9:54 PM
I'm really interested in the Scar, and it may very well be my next purchase. How would you say it compares with the AR?

stphnman20
11-01-2010, 10:07 PM
I like the SCAR. Felt really good when I held it. But I fell in love with the ACR. It fit me much better.

Post some action shots.

9unknown
11-01-2010, 10:08 PM
Nice one man! I just recently picked up a 16s as well and I love everything about it from the ergonomics, very light recoil impulse, and the trigger as well. It's so much fun to shoot, took it to a carbine course a few weeks back and it was great. I was almost gonna pick up an ACR instead but opted for the scar because of the weight, barrel quality and price tag (ACR seemed a bit overpriced). I switched the charging handle over to the right side and I find the stock quite comfortable.

Jpach
11-01-2010, 10:09 PM
describe this two-phase recoil impulse a little bit firther please. Glad you like your rifle!

biko
11-02-2010, 4:06 PM
There is a discernable two part recoil impulse, the first is impulse you would expect from pulling the trigger. It is much less sharp than an AR. Very little muzzle rise. I found getting back on target seemed to be faster than an AR (hard to tell without some real measurement of some sort).

The second phase of the impulse, if you can call it that, is the bolt moving forward. It is not so much of an impulse, but an internal movement and sound you can really sense. You do notice it NOT happening when, say you are out of ammo.

There is a posting on fnforum.net showing a detailed analysis of the internals of the SCAR versus an AR. I think the much heavier bolt carrier is the reason for the lighter first impulse, the sensation of the "second", and the minimal muzzle rise.

Having the weight around these moving parts is mechanically pretty interesting for the recoil benefits described above, but also I think, for the overall manouverability because of how the weight is centered, versus being just heavy all over. So the SCAR has the benefit of being relatively light, but also very light recoil too.

I would like to see how a SCAR-17 behaves with the 7.62/.308 round. Apparently it was designed around the heavier 175gr bullet. I can guess why the SCAR-17 owners are rabid about their rifle!

One last comment is the location of the bolt catch and charging handle. I have always felt the XCR (I haven't seen the ACR) had the best bolt catch ergonomically, being located in front of the trigger guard and ambi. I think the SCAR comes a close second: you can pull the charging handle and press the bolt catch with the thumb of the same hand. If you're used to the location of the bolt catch from an AR, this might be more automatic than the XCR's location.

How does it compare to an AR?
Well both go bang, and the AR is a classic. But you can really see the differences of, what several decades?, of design and engineering capabilities can bring about. Just think how much better computer aided design/manufacturing is now compared to 20 years ago, let alone when the AR was first designed. The SCAR seems very refined, and importantly, highly tested. Check out the fnforum.net posting comparing internals of SCAR to AR.

B yond
11-02-2010, 4:56 PM
link to video please?

Bowser
11-02-2010, 5:52 PM
Those Scars look extremely familiar ;)