PDA

View Full Version : Lower w/full auto markings - problems?

wolfeman
10-31-2010, 7:58 PM
Any thoughts on whether using a lower that has selector markings for full auto to build a semi-auto might lead to possible issues during a LEO encounter? Bought a spikes stripped lower from RifleGear that has markings for semi & auto, waiting my 10 days now and having some 2nd thoughts.

i1800collect
10-31-2010, 8:00 PM
I wouldn't worry about it.

thevic
10-31-2010, 8:01 PM
Im sure an uninformed LEO would wonder wtf. But as long as you dont have any m16 FCG parts and sear then there is no issue.

RickD427
10-31-2010, 8:26 PM
An LEO may do more than wonder, a weapon with full auto markings would could lead the officer to believe that the weapon is probably full auto, even if that is not actually the case.

The officer only needs "Probable Cause" to make a lawful arrest. The courts are not going to require the arresting officer to be familiar with the inner workings of the weapon. The legal standard of certainty is much lower for an arrest than for a conviction. If there are no full auto parts in the weapon you should expect that charges will be dropped or that you'll be acquitted, but that's only after you get arrested, booked, post bail, hire an attorney, hire a defense expert, read about yourself in the paper,take time off work.............

Sniper3142
10-31-2010, 8:36 PM
An LEO may do more than wonder, a weapon with full auto markings would could lead the officer to believe that the weapon is probably full auto, even if that is not actually the case.

The officer only needs "Probable Cause" to make a lawful arrest. The courts are not going to require the arresting officer to be familiar with the inner workings of the weapon. The legal standard of certainty is much lower for an arrest than for a conviction. If there are no full auto parts in the weapon you should expect that charges will be dropped or that you'll be acquitted, but that's only after you get arrested, booked, post bail, hire an attorney, hire a defense expert, read about yourself in the paper,take time off work.............

I'd get a lower with these marking just for the hope of running into such an uninformed LEO!

:mad:

If the selector doesn't actually rotate to the full auto position AND cause the firearm to fire in Full Auto mode, I wouldn't worry about it at all.

I'd love to see their frustration when some LEO tries to move such a selector to the full auto position with no success. :D

Merc1138
10-31-2010, 8:57 PM
I'd get a lower with these marking just for the hope of running into such an uninformed LEO!

:mad:

If the selector doesn't actually rotate to the full auto position AND cause the firearm to fire in Full Auto mode, I wouldn't worry about it at all.

I'd love to see their frustration when some LEO tries to move such a selector to the full auto position with no success. :D

The LEO doesn't necessarily have to bother trying, to arrest you. Fortunately most cops aren't that dumb and can actually tell the difference for common things like ARs.

LEO gets to make assumptions, the court decides whether or not the LEO was actually correct. Yes, it sucks but that's how it works at the moment.

That said, I do believe I should be able to doodle whatever the hell I want on my guns, even if that includes "turn here for omg mass puppy murder full auto mode"

badicedog
10-31-2010, 9:09 PM
As long as there are no select fire components (m-16 hammer, disconnector, selector and or sear) put whatever markings you want. How about safe, kill, murder! Does that make the lower illegal? If you have LEO contact and that LEO has a bone to pick with you, it won't matter what your lower has engraved on it.

Just-in
10-31-2010, 9:15 PM
I'm not loosing any sleep. Be courteous and call it a day it's just markings.

bondmid003
11-01-2010, 12:04 AM
It's just a marking brother and they can't do a thing about it. The lower on my G36 rotates to 'full-auto' but it only goes bang once when you pull the trigger. Its just there for ****s and grins