PDA

View Full Version : Time constaint here,... please>>Need some info please RE: C&R pistol

beb1954
10-31-2010, 6:49 PM
This is a Mauser pistol from about the turn of the 19th-20th century. Here is a link to what I am asking about
http://www.littlegun.be/arme%20allemande/mauser/a%20mauser%201914%20gb.htm
I would like to know how the C&R laws are as far as purchase/any shipping involved and taking possession. I have a chance to buy one and want to know if this is a cash and carry situation like with a long gun. Also, what stipulations if any for being able to have the pistol shipped to me directly if possible...
thanks...
Also, anyone know what a good price on this would be...
thanks.

Toyman321
10-31-2010, 7:03 PM
The deal is.... at least to my understanding.... is that a pistol is considered an antique and thus does not require going through an 01 FFL if it is over 100 years old is manufactured before 1899

You could still purchase it but you would have to make arrangements with an 01.

Sorry I don't have any info on value though.

Hope that helps.

paul0660
10-31-2010, 7:03 PM
It has to go through a FFL dealer in California even if it is C and R. If you have your 03 collector license you can travel to another state and buy it, and inform the California DOJ when you get back. It doesn't have to be on the roster.

Which of the two pistols are you going to buy?

Spiggy
10-31-2010, 7:06 PM
I have one of those, I picked it up for about $300, however the condition is not as clean as the one depicted.

It was shipped to my local retail FFL and processed like any handgun purchase in CA.

paul0660
10-31-2010, 7:10 PM
I guess the bottom, funkier one, is for sale and the top one is some confusing comparison?

Cokebottle
10-31-2010, 7:15 PM
The deal is.... at least to my understanding.... is that a pistol is considered an antique and thus does not require going through an 01 FFL if it is over 100 years old and ammunition is not "readily available".
"Antique" is not like the rolling 50 year C&R status... "Antique" is specified as manufactured 1899 or before.

With this one being from the "turn of the century", it could be close, but a specific date would need to be pinned down before it could be transferred as an antique.

Toyman321
10-31-2010, 7:21 PM
"Antique" is not like the rolling 50 year C&R status... "Antique" is specified as manufactured 1899 or before.

With this one being from the "turn of the century", it could be close, but a specific date would need to be pinned down before it could be transferred as an antique.
Thanks for the correction, I've corrected my original post so no one reads it and this "oh good I'm golden" without reading further down. ;)

EOD Guy
11-01-2010, 9:43 AM
The deal is.... at least to my understanding.... is that a pistol is considered an antique and thus does not require going through an 01 FFL if it is over 100 years old is manufactured before 1899 and ammunition is not "readily available". Since this fires .32 acp it would still be considered a pistol in CA and need to go through an 01 regardless of age.

You could still purchase it but you would have to make arrangements with an 01.

Sorry I don't have any info on value though.

Hope that helps.

Ammunition being "readily available" has nothing to do with the status of an antique pistol. An antique, manufactured before 1899 and which uses .32 acp ammunition, is still an antique and does not have to be transferred through a dealer.

The firearm referenced in the original post is not an antique, but it would qualify as a C&R firearm.

Toyman321
11-01-2010, 10:42 AM
Ammunition being "readily available" has nothing to do with the status of an antique pistol. An antique, manufactured before 1899 and which uses .32 acp ammunition, is still an antique and does not have to be transferred through a dealer.

The firearm referenced in the original post is not an antique, but it would qualify as a C&R firearm.

Just re-read.... again Penal Code §12020(b)(5), which was what I was thinking of, and a couple archived threads on calguns and I stand corrected again. Penal Code §12020(b)(5) does not pertain to this, it pertains to zip guns, cain guns and the like.... grrrr this state....

Peter.Steele
11-01-2010, 10:42 AM

That's Federal. In California, it still needs to go through an FFL.

Mssr. Eleganté
11-01-2010, 2:03 PM
That's Federal. In California, it still needs to go through an FFL.

No it wouldn't. When it comes to buying, selling, transferring, California uses the exact same definition of "antique firearm" as the Feds do in the Gun Control Act.

Unlike the Feds, California does consider a firearm made in 1898 that fires modern ammunition to be a "firearm" under most sections of California law. But California does not consider it to be a "firearm" under the sections of the law that deal with selling or transferring firearms.

12001(e) For purposes of Sections 12070, 12071, and paragraph (8) of subdivision (a), and subdivisions (b), (c), (d), and (f) of Section 12072, the term "firearm" does not include an unloaded firearm that is defined as an "antique firearm" in Section 921(a)(16) of Title 18 of the United States Code.

When the above section of the Penal Code references "Sections 12070,12071 and...12072" it is referring to all of the sections of the Penal Code that deal with firearms sales and transfers.

But I'm pretty sure that the handgun the OP is talking about was not made in or before 1898.

Toyman321
11-01-2010, 6:02 PM
In my searching to cure my own confusion I found this in the archives:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/archive/index.php/t-73824.html

Not the first time this has been discussed on here, and the confusion level is about the same but the second to last post I think sums it up.

Peter.Steele
11-01-2010, 6:53 PM
Interesting.

Still confusing, but interesting.