PDA

View Full Version : Question on Intra-Familial transfer

AlliedArmory
10-31-2010, 5:26 PM
My friend got a handgun from his Father as a gift. Does the Intra-Familial form need to be filled out and sent in with the $19 if the gun was purchased before the registration law was started?

jtmkinsd
10-31-2010, 7:44 PM
My friend got a handgun from his Father as a gift. Does the Intra-Familial form need to be filled out and sent in with the $19 if the gun was purchased before the registration law was started?

If they are both CA residents the recipient just needs to fill out form, send $19 dollars. If Dad is out of State, it needs to go through an FFL as a dealer transfer, if it's off-roster gun it is exempt as an intra-familial transfer.

AlliedArmory
10-31-2010, 9:05 PM
Thanks for the reply.

So this form needs to be done along with the $19 even though the handgun was purchased before 1991?

ke6guj
10-31-2010, 9:31 PM
when it was originally purchased doesn't matter. What matters is that if your friend receives an intrafamily transfered handgun now, he is supposed to report it.

tenpercentfirearms
11-01-2010, 9:07 AM
Thanks for the reply.

So this form needs to be done along with the $19 even though the handgun was purchased before 1991?

What matters is when the gun was lawfully given to the son. If the father gave the son the handgun before 1991, then it is grandfathered and no form is required. If he gave it to the son since 1991, then the form is required.

I wasn't 18 in 1991 so I have to send in my form as there was no legal way for me to receive it. Your friend might have been old enough for the father to give it to him then. As far as I am aware, he doesn't need evidence he gave it to him.

AlliedArmory
11-01-2010, 12:44 PM
Ok thanks guys. I understand it now.