PDA

View Full Version : Remington 700 Safety Allegations

UGlide
10-31-2010, 4:29 PM
I’m unclear about the allegations regarding Remington’s use of the “Walker” trigger design on Model 700 (and perhaps other – 710?) rifles. I’m not challenging whether or not there is or was a problem with the trigger design, or whether or not Remington or anybody is at fault for the accidental discharges. At this point, I principally want to understand which guns may be affected and subject to the allegations so that I can decide my next course of action: (a) do nothing …but be mindful of a ‘potential’ danger for AD …and be very careful to regularly clean the trigger and have my gunsmith periodically examine it for wear, (b) change to an after-market trigger (Timney?) in which case, if I understand all of this, the potential problem goes away, or (c) have my gunsmith modify the trigger, if that is possible, and hope/pray that the potential problem is gone.

My understanding is that Remington changed the trigger design on the Model 700 commencing October 2006. The new trigger assembly on rifles sold in 2007 and thereafter is known as the X-Mark Pro trigger, distinguished by a smooth trigger face (no ridges) and it is purportedly non-adjustable. It appears that the allegations only pertain to the pre-2007 triggers.

***PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF THIS IS CORRECT SO FAR.***

I have a 30-06 Remington Model 700 purchased in 2007. The trigger has ridges and I suspect it may be the old design subject to the allegations. My gun’s trigger has never been adjusted (it is VERY heavy but with a clean break). I’ve been shooting it more lately and, up to this point, have planned to have my gunsmith adjust the trigger. The heavy trigger significantly impacts accuracy at 200 yards and beyond.

Now I do not know what to do. My wife is more upset than me …that ain’t good …she will find more ‘honey do’ projects to keep me away from the range.

Assuming that, sadly, my gun is of the prior design (subject to the allegations), what are my options? Can the existing trigger be modified and rendered safe? …assuming I am a safe gun handler. Will any experienced gunsmith know what to do to modify the existing trigger? What precisely are the modifications that he should perform? Must I install an after-market trigger to make the potential problem go away?

Note I said “potential” problem and “allegations”. I am not asserting that there is a problem. But I am not willing to do nothing about this.

Thanks in advance for your experienced and thoughtful comments.

Mac Attack
10-31-2010, 5:31 PM
There doing a special right now on CNBCHD. From what I gather they still sell the old fcs side by side with the new fcs.

cHaOs ReX
11-05-2010, 9:24 PM
I'm watching this special right now. I was considering a Remington 700 until watching this for 5 minutes.

Back to looking at the Tikka T3.

Brendan Sullivan
11-05-2010, 9:26 PM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=359875

professionalcoyotehunter
11-05-2010, 9:28 PM
Should have bought a Savage.:D

nitis
11-05-2010, 9:29 PM
you guys are rediculous

the new trigger is fine

the old triggers were fine until unqualified people made adjustments to the trigger

in your case if it makes mama happy go buy a timney for about 100 bucks and be done with it hell a good trigger job will cost you half that and the trigger swap is simple

cHaOs ReX
11-05-2010, 9:30 PM
Hmmm, maybe I should have watched the entire special before discounting Remington.

Apparently the XMARK trigger system utilizes a fix originally designed in 1947 but never offered by Remington until now.

Though still to me this is an issue with the company. They have had a fix for over 50 years and are only offering it now because the 700 is one of the most popular bolt action rifles in America.

professionalcoyotehunter
11-05-2010, 9:36 PM
It is one of the most affordable but not the most popular.

Merc1138
11-05-2010, 9:41 PM
I'm still confused as to why they need to fix anything if the problem arises due to users making modifications without actually knowing what they're doing(damn youtube gunsmiths)

cHaOs ReX
11-05-2010, 9:54 PM
Thanks for the link Brendan. It's always nice to have more info from another POV.

UGlide
11-09-2010, 2:31 PM
I contacted Jack Belk directly (the individual in the news highlighting the flaw in the Remington 700 Walker trigger design) in an effort to get clarification from him on a few issues pertaining to the Remington Model 700 Walker trigger controversy. I do not know Jack Belk personally or professionally; I am not a gunsmith, engineer or a lawyer; and I’m not affiliated with the gun industry. I’m just a guy who likes to shoot but wants to be safe. I am not qualified to opine on Mr. Belk’s analysis but I believe he is sincere in his opinions and he has been straightforward and inoffensive in defending his comments and analysis about Remington’s use of the Walker trigger design.

The following are excerpts of some of his responses to me that may be helpful to some of you:

“Remington started with the XMark Pro in Oct, of '06, but there were several thousand guns on dealer's shelves and store rooms that are still being sold. You are right about the markings [the vertical grooves on the Walker trigger but not on the X-Mark Pro, the smooth trigger and the adjustment hole on the X-Mark Pro], but late XMark Pros don't have the pull adjustments. That adjustment is for only spring tension and not sear engagement. The spring is pre-loaded to the safe setting and the screw only increases it.”

“All Walker designs, no matter the age, [have] the connector defect in them. The earlier the trigger the more additional defects were possible in them. Folded housings and dual sears triggers with lock down safeties were the worst of the lot.”

“The X-Mark Pro has a solid, one-piece trigger and the safety pushes the trigger back into engagement with the sear every time it's actuated, so 'no' the XMark Pro cannot FSR unless the trigger is pulled OR there is a failure of a part.”

I hope this helps somebody out there.

My piece of mind is worth a lot to me. Whether or not the Walker design is flawed, I’m going to follow the advice of others …I’m simply going to buy a ‘quality’ after-market trigger. Any suggestions?

Does Remington separately sell the X-Mark Pro trigger and would it be compatible with my 2006 Remington production rifle with the Walker trigger?

FLIGHT762
11-09-2010, 3:03 PM
Now I do not know what to do. My wife is more upset than me
But I am not willing to do nothing about this.

My piece of mind is worth a lot to me.

Go buy yourself a Timney replacement trigger for your rifle and be done with it. Get the one with the safety on it.

http://timneytriggers.com/sunshop/index.php?l=product_list&c=6
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=25035/Product/REMINGTON_700_TRIGGER

If you want a top of the line, get a Jewell. The Varmint /Hunter model is the one you want. Adjustable from 1.5 oz. to 4 Lb. Most places are out of stock now because of the 700 hype.
http://www.sinclairintl.com/.aspx/pid=38244/Product/Jewell_Trigger___Rem_700_Varmint

AlliedArmory
11-09-2010, 3:07 PM
Ok so after you watch the special on CNBC, watch Remington's response to the story.

2YFIwoZsWHk

626Tony
11-09-2010, 3:44 PM
trigger is fine! if u dont feel comfortablr get a trigger job or a FN

kendog4570
11-09-2010, 7:07 PM
Poor rifle handling and bubba'd triggers are what causes this "defect".

Jeff Cooper said something to the effect of: "Guns arent fool proof, and fools shoudn't handle them."

Don't buy into the BS. This is the same type crap that was going around about flaming fireball Chevy Trucks a few years back, and unstable Jeep CJ-5's a few years before that.

acapa
11-24-2010, 7:12 PM
It is all true! I can even prove it with video!!!

I have a circa early 1970's model 700 with varmint barrel in 308, never been shot and it has the problem described in the TV special, firing when safety is taken off without touching the trigger. I called and a representative was supposed to have sent to me paperwork to send the gun back to be looked at, its been about 14 days now and all I want is to have my guns returned to a safe condition. I have 2 other model 700 in 7mm mags that I will not be passing on to my son if they are not "fixed" as well. I am not looking for media attention and lawyers. I just want the flippin guns fixed. The Remington rep I talked to was giving me a line of crap like he would have the gun cleaned and looked at. This is BS, All these guns with this design need new triggers. Since I dont seem to be getting the straight up response, I have since then asked them to send triggers to me and I will install them or have a smith install them. I do not think I can trust Remington to do the right thing after talking to them directly about this. The bad part is that this will give the entire gun industry and black eye. The only thing I can do is not buy anymore Remingtons, I, at very least, owe them that.

you guys are rediculous

the new trigger is fine

the old triggers were fine until unqualified people made adjustments to the trigger

in your case if it makes mama happy go buy a timney for about 100 bucks and be done with it hell a good trigger job will cost you half that and the trigger swap is simple

CK_32
11-24-2010, 8:04 PM
My signature on another furum. Says it all.

Have u ever had it fire when u were closing the bolt
Mine fires after closing the bolt all the time.
I close the bolt, take the safety off, breathe, relax, sight picture and press the trigger. Boom.

I also second that video above. CNBC is just a bunch of BS to stur up the pot on things. Like little teanagers starting a school
rumor to see how it gets around and what trouble will grow from it while the chuckle in the corner of the class room.