PDA

View Full Version : Tula .223

11Z50
10-31-2010, 5:13 PM
Anybody out there had problems with the Tula steel case .223 ammo from Wally World? I fired one round from my AR and had a failure to extract. Didn't have a cleaning rod with me so that was the end of the day for the .223.

$P-Ritch$
10-31-2010, 5:16 PM
I can usually fire about 200 rounds of tula through both my ar's before it starts to gunk up enough to affect reliability. Usually it just seems to short stroke and won't pick up the next round. I've never had a FTE with any ammo in either rifle yet and the bulk of what they have shot is Tula.

PhantomII
10-31-2010, 5:21 PM
Never tried the .223 but the one and only failure to extract I've had on my M1A was Tula .308
In all fairness though, that was one FTE out of 500 rounds.

Still in all, I stick to brass cased ammo now.

NationsMostWanted
10-31-2010, 7:01 PM
Is it because it's steel that makes it cheaper?

E-120
10-31-2010, 7:04 PM
I have shot 1k out of my bushmaster m-4 profile with feedramps with 100% reliability.

Turo
10-31-2010, 7:20 PM
Shot 100 of them out of my dad's AR today, no issues whatsoever. it's fine stuff, maybe not a high quality as stuff you'd pay $.50 a round for, but they're good enough for a day at the range.

OutlawStar
10-31-2010, 8:20 PM
Couple weeks ago I shot about 350 rounds in ~3 hours. Roughly 10 short strokes and at the end of the day did get a round stuck in the bolt/chamber. I let it cool, and hit the butt of the rifle against the ground while pulling the charging handle. There was some polymer stuck in the chamber but after a modest cleaning it looks new again.

makaio
11-01-2010, 3:38 PM
I've shot 1000 rounds of the 55 gr Tula without a single problem. I recently purchased another 1000 rounds this time in the 62 gr HP style and I had 4 out of 300 fail to fire. You could see a slight dimple in the primer so my guess is the primer wasn't seated properly from the factory. Maybe that batch was made on a Monday after too much vodka over the weekend.

NationsMostWanted
11-01-2010, 4:01 PM
Gunk builds up everywhere inside or just the chamber area? What do u guys do to clean it

MrPlink
11-01-2010, 4:26 PM
Just did about 60 through my buddys stag today. 1 fte and 1 ftf. Not exactly precision ammo either.

T-Bear
11-01-2010, 8:31 PM
Which Wally World sells Tula?

Droppin Deuces
11-01-2010, 8:49 PM
I shot 160 rounds today and it was great. All went bang. I agree, not precision ammo, but I'm no precision shooter, either. No problems whatsoever.

Vanilla Gorilla
11-01-2010, 11:21 PM
I shoot it out of my savage bolt action all the time it goes bang every time can't complain for $4.98 a box

joelj320
11-02-2010, 11:03 AM
i get about 1 fail to feed out of 400 rounds

Don29palms
11-02-2010, 11:25 AM
If you're going to shoot steel case ammo you need to have a chamber brush and lots of oil. I've shot 1000+ rounds of $3.59 a box steel case ammo and make sure I run a bore snake and clean the chamber with a brush about every 100rds.

DougJ
11-02-2010, 12:09 PM
I've shot a bunch of this stuff without a single issue. The last 1K rounds I got from Cabelas is boxer primed and I've even reloaded 100 cases or so just to see how they worked. Again, no problems. Never had an issue with residue in the chamber, never a single malfunction.

I ran about 600 or 700 rounds of mixed ammo including Tula without any type of cleaning just to see if I could induce a problem... Nope.

fullrearview
11-02-2010, 12:13 PM
I was thinking of getting some from CTD.

captbilly
11-02-2010, 12:34 PM
Is it because it's steel that makes it cheaper?

Ammo is generally a low profit business I think. When you get down to the lowest price ammo every penny counts. If they save a few pennies on raw materials then they can sell for a few pennies less. I don't see any inherent problem with steel case ammo, except corrosion obviously, but I do wonder about the polymer coated stuff. The issue with the coated ammo is that if you do some serious rapid fire the chamber will get hot enough to melt the plastic coating and it will gunk up the chamber. I assume that there is some solvent that will remove the plastic residue, but I don't know what solvent that is.

The only issue I have with cheap ammo in general, whether steel, aluminum or brass cased, is accuracy. For me the whole point of practicing is to improve my ability to put a bullet on the target. If the ammo is limiting your accuracy to 1 or 2 mil (milliradian, or about 4 MOA) then you can't know if you are improving or not. You can get some match grade ammo from places like HSM, Black Hills, Prvi Partizan, and sometimes even Federal, for anywhere from $0.50 to $1 per round in .223 or even .308. I realize that some of the really cheap stuff is even less than that, sometimes as low as $0.25 per round but unless you have tested it and found that it groups well then how can you know what it will do when you want to actually hit something. I suppose that if you are shooting a rifle from a standing position and you aren't very good anyway, and maybe the rifle isn't all that accurate as well, then the cheap stuff is useful.

BKTJ
11-02-2010, 1:00 PM
I have shot the Wolf/Tula lacquer and polymer stuff for years and never had any problems. The lacquer stuff is pretty good with moisture, but the polymer coating rusts much quicker. You have to remember to clean the chamber of carbon (not lacquer). Plus the primers are really hard and the aftermarket triggers and light springs don't play well with each other. We have done 90 rd mag dumps and never had any of the coating melt. Heavy carbon blow by in the chamber, yes and its a real pain to remove. As a disclaimer I only shoot this stuff thru my beater ARs, not the good ones. The steel cases hitting the side of the receiver really beat the finish up.
Here is some accurate reading without the FUD:

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/edu18.htm

rcschummers
11-02-2010, 1:27 PM
SHOT 100 ROUNDS OF 55 GRAIN ON SUNDAY, NO PROBLEMS. I BOUGHT 300 MORE ROUNDS MONDAY.

donking
11-02-2010, 1:32 PM
Anybody out there had problems with the Tula steel case .223 ammo from Wally World? I fired one round from my AR and had a failure to extract. Didn't have a cleaning rod with me so that was the end of the day for the .223.

Bummer to hear about your FTE and the end of the day.

I had 3 FTF in a case of 500 Tula that I bought on-line. After the third one I added a couple drops of CLP to the bolt and had no problems the rest of the day.

There are some other threads about Tula, Wolf and Bears and buying on-line to get the cost down. Click here to see
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/search.php?searchid=10459602
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/search.php?searchid=10459621