PDA

View Full Version : Can I have a gun in a household with a rso??

butterflyangel08
10-31-2010, 3:34 PM
I have a Question my husband is a registered for a mistake after a girl lied about her age at a party.......

we know he cant have a gun which really sucks because I loved hunting with him and our son wants to hunt soon also Can I still have a gun with him living with me if he doesnt mess with or use it and if not what other options do i have ... he is also gone alot so i would perfer to feel safe alone????

paul0660
10-31-2010, 3:36 PM
If he was convicted of a felony, he can't be around guns. The best case would be guns in a safe to which he does not have access. Somewhere there is a piece of paper explaining the limitations on his rights.

Rivers
10-31-2010, 3:37 PM
You can have the gun in the house as long as he does not have access to it. For example, you keep the gun in a locked gun safe that only you have the access or combination to open the safe. He needs to avoid access to both guns and ammo, and the likely burden of proving so is going to fall on your shoulders. It's a fine line and you need to play it very smart to avoid issues.

Big Jake
10-31-2010, 3:39 PM
I have a Question my husband is a registered for a mistake after a girl lied about her age at a party.......

we know he cant have a gun which really sucks because I loved hunting with him and our son wants to hunt soon also Can I still have a gun with him living with me if he doesnt mess with or use it and if not what other options do i have ... he is also gone alot so i would perfer to feel safe alone????

This is a tough one. As your husband is a convicted felon he can't touch a firearm as a prohibited person. You can technically have one, but the line is blurry and if he ever touched your firearm then he could get a five year prison term for doing so as a felon in posession. As far as hunting he can bow hunt as that is legal for a felon!

Kid Stanislaus
10-31-2010, 3:43 PM
I have a five button lock box sitting on top of my chest-o-drawers and I'm guess'n that'd keep you within the law. It'll run you about $150.

jtmkinsd
10-31-2010, 4:06 PM

A safe is perfectly fine in your situation. Being registered, someone could drop by unannounced, so I would make sure the safe is never left open. It's a burden, but it's a manageable one.

As G. Gordon Liddy (convicted felon) is fond of saying "I don't own any firearms...my wife however is very well armed"

butterflyangel08
10-31-2010, 4:10 PM
If i got a lock safe how could I prove he doesnt touch it? I would like for my son not to be punished for things that have happened and if i take him hunting he can still experience that also the registry makes us a good target our address and everything on there i have heard of people hunting down people on there so i really would like protection. what about air guns or bb guns im sure there arent the best protection but would that work too ......I know he can bow hunt but this isnt really about him hunting i feel me and my son are being punished for nothing its not really fair to a point i think the law is good but some times it sucks they need to think of the other victims here too

paul0660
10-31-2010, 4:18 PM
Angel, 5 people just answered your question in exactly the same way. Get a safe. Don't give him the key or the combo. Be honest with the authorities when they ask questions. Don't offer info if they don't.

Good luck.

Backcountry
10-31-2010, 4:21 PM
Did he get busted for banging the underage girl before or after you got married?

N6ATF
10-31-2010, 4:24 PM
Holster it on you or spin combo safe it. No clearer way to determine it's in your possession and yours alone.

Recession
10-31-2010, 4:45 PM
Did he get busted for banging the underage girl before or after you got married?

Sounds like after, because OP states she "used" to love going hunting with him.

Anyways, back on topic. Yeah, get a safe and don't let him have access to it.

sevensix2x51
10-31-2010, 5:22 PM

you stay classy, calguns.... :rolleyes:

PhantomII
10-31-2010, 5:41 PM
If i got a lock safe how could I prove he doesnt touch it?

You don't really have to.

It's up to the prosecutor to prove he did

butterflyangel08
10-31-2010, 5:46 PM
You don't really have to.

It's up to the prosecutor to prove he did

hah yeah well i think we all now how the court system really works and its not innocent until proven guilty anymore

KylaGWolf
10-31-2010, 6:27 PM
Butterfly the thing is as a felon he lost a lot of rights. Many others have said get a safe and make sure he doesn't have access to it period. Your son won't suffer for his fathers actions if you do those things and if you want to teach him how to hunt and use a gun responsibly then good for you. But if he is still on probation you might want to read all of his prohibitions of his court order first. That can have a big impact of what would happen to him if there was a gun in the house during his probation time. But I will say this if they think he has access to it they will most likely arrest him and run him through the system. That being said if you can show there is no way he has access to it then it shouldn't be a problem.

hawk1
10-31-2010, 7:55 PM
If i got a lock safe how could I prove he doesnt touch it? I would like for my son not to be punished for things that have happened and if i take him hunting he can still experience that also the registry makes us a good target our address and everything on there i have heard of people hunting down people on there so i really would like protection. what about air guns or bb guns im sure there arent the best protection but would that work too ......I know he can bow hunt but this isnt really about him hunting i feel me and my son are being punished for nothing its not really fair to a point i think the law is good but some times it sucks they need to think of the other victims here too

I sympathize with what you and your son have to go through, but your husband is the one that brought the punishment on you, not the state. If he would have thought about the other victims, and I'm talking of you and your son, then you guys wouldn't be in this situation.

cosmos7
10-31-2010, 8:07 PM
Just out of curiosity are you sure he can't be around guns? Obviously if he was convicted of a felony he can't touch a gun but just being a RSO doesn't automatically prohibit ownership or use, and depends upon the crime committed. We don't know the details of your case, but statutory rape in this state is a wobbler...

Peter.Steele
10-31-2010, 8:44 PM
Sounds like after, because OP states she "used" to love going hunting with him.

Anyways, back on topic. Yeah, get a safe and don't let him have access to it.

Yeah, that's the same question and answer I had come up with. Not the solution I'd come up with in my head, though. My solution didn't involve a safe. Of course, it also didn't involve remaining married to someone that cheated on me, whether or not the cheater thought s/he was 18.

YMMV, of course. If you're willing to put up with that sort of thing, then hey, by all means, buy a safe and don't give him the combination to it.

CCWFacts
10-31-2010, 8:52 PM
Waitaminute, RSO by itself is not disqualifying from owning a gun, and it's definitely possible to get RSO status (Tier 1) without a felony conviction. To the OP, RSO status by itself doesn't matter. Find out exactly what the conviction was: felony or misdemeanor. Even if it is a felony, it may be possible to get it reduced to a misdemeanor. Find out, the details matter. There are attorneys out there who specialize in clearing up records, by getting felonies reduced, and misdemeanors expunged. It might also be possible for an attorney to get the RSO status cleared.

Until you know with certainty, do as the other posters have said (make sure he doesn't have access to guns or ammo) but do also get a lawyer to give you a real assessment. He may be able to own guns right now. He can also do an eligibility check (http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/pfecapp.pdf) and that will tell him exactly what his status is. It's an easy one-page form that costs $20 (+ notary fee) and gives you a definitive answer in a month or so. Don't guess or rely on forum posts, find out the details!

stitchnicklas
10-31-2010, 9:36 PM
another idea would be to store your firearms at a different location other then your residence,that way you and your son can go hunting and your husband stays out of prison

IrishPirate
10-31-2010, 9:43 PM
Waitaminute, RSO by itself is not disqualifying from owning a gun, and it's definitely possible to get RSO status (Tier 1) without a felony conviction. To the OP, RSO status by itself doesn't matter. Find out exactly what the conviction was: felony or misdemeanor. Even if it is a felony, it may be possible to get it reduced to a misdemeanor. Find out, the details matter. There are attorneys out there who specialize in clearing up records, by getting felonies reduced, and misdemeanors expunged. It might also be possible for an attorney to get the RSO status cleared.

Until you know with certainty, do as the other posters have said (make sure he doesn't have access to guns or ammo) but do also get a lawyer to give you a real assessment. He may be able to own guns right now. He can also do an eligibility check (http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/pfecapp.pdf) and that will tell him exactly what his status is. It's an easy one-page form that costs $20 (+ notary fee) and gives you a definitive answer in a month or so. Don't guess or rely on forum posts, find out the details!

best advice so far!!!!

N6ATF
10-31-2010, 9:50 PM
But to answer the thread title's question, you can have a gun in a household with a range safety officer, if you follow the 4 rules (http://www.frfrogspad.com/cooper.htm#Four).

marc4
11-01-2010, 10:53 AM
get a safe with biometric locks and if it comes with keys, put them inside too. Then if ask by leo to prove if he can access it, have him try it out.