PDA

View Full Version : moving from nevada to california

Double_tap
10-31-2010, 1:41 PM
I just found out I'll be moving to las vegas for work for about a year, and I'll be moving back to oc after that

Question regarding three issues

1.) When I buy guns as a resident of nevada, will I be allowed to continue to own them when I move back? I'm referring to handguns not on the list, hi cap mags, silencers/supressors. What about .50 rifles or ar's without the bullet button?

Does a nevada ccw have reciprocity with ca?

Will I have to pay any taxes bringing in guns I purchased out of state back to ca?

ke6guj
10-31-2010, 2:03 PM
I just found out I'll be moving to las vegas for work for about a year, and I'll be moving back to oc after that

1.) When I buy guns as a resident of nevada, will I be allowed to continue to own them when I move back? I'm referring to handguns not on the listyes, provided that they are not otherwise illegal in CA, so no AWs or NFA.

, hi cap mags, silencers/supressors.nope.

What about .50 rifles
depends on what type of .50 it is. No .50BMG, all other .50 variations are legal.
or ar's without the bullet buttonnot if it has evil features and is centerfire. Set it up featureless or rimfire and you can have a detachable magazine.

Will I have to pay any taxes bringing in guns I purchased out of state back to ca?no and no.

383green
10-31-2010, 2:58 PM
One small detail: You could still own those restricted items as long as you kept and used them outside of CA. The relevant CA gun laws restrict possession and/or importation, not ownership. You'll need to decide for yourself whether it'll be worth the trouble and expense of keeping non-CA-legal items outside of CA when you return here, vs. just not buying them in the first place.

wellerjohn
10-31-2010, 3:02 PM

1.) When I buy guns as a resident of nevada, will I be allowed to continue to own them when I move back? I'm referring to handguns not on the list, hi cap mags, silencers/supressors. What about .50 rifles or ar's without the bullet button?

Will I have to pay any taxes bringing in guns I purchased out of state back to ca?

Lucky Guy, you will hate life when it's time to move back. :D

bjl333
10-31-2010, 3:04 PM
Lucky Guy, you will hate life when it's time to move back. :D

hahaha ... You might wanna stay in NV !!! :D

1lostinspace
10-31-2010, 3:04 PM

Don't do it

tvfreakarms
10-31-2010, 3:05 PM
say good buy to guns that you are use to able to get living in NV.

383green
10-31-2010, 3:05 PM
I grew up in Las Vegas... the weather's a lot nicer here in CA! :)

oni.dori
10-31-2010, 5:09 PM
I grew up in Las Vegas... the weather's a lot nicer here in CA! :)

I can second that. My dad lives in Vegas, and I used to go visit him for the summer when I was still in school.
Although, the gun laws are much nicer in NV...

secretasianman
10-31-2010, 8:41 PM
I just moved to NV from CA and have been trying to decide on whether or not to go on an EBR spending spree!

383green
10-31-2010, 8:42 PM
I just moved to NV from CA and have been trying to decide on whether or not to go on an EBR spending spree!

The correct answer is "yes". ;)

Nor-Cal
10-31-2010, 10:21 PM
Its gona suck when its time to come back, but enjoy your time in a free state!

NiteQwill
10-31-2010, 11:51 PM
Buy in NV when you get there and keep your fun toys there. Come back to OC. Visit NV regularly. :)

Maestro Pistolero
11-01-2010, 1:31 AM
Buy in NV when you get there and keep your fun toys there. Come back to OC. Visit NV regularly. :)

This ∆.

Stock up while you are a Nevada resident. Buy whatever kind of pistol you want (no roster) If you want to bring them with you to CA, just get 10 rounders.

Buy any EBR you want (no AWB ban or evil list) and all the 30 round mags you think you'll ever need.

If you have ever thought of having an NFA weapon (SBS, SBR, suppressors, select-fire or full-auto) now is the time. You'll have to keep the really fun stuff out of the state, but you can still own it.

Double_tap
11-01-2010, 11:08 AM
So If i buy say and LWRC m6a2 in nevada without the bullet button and a handfull of 30 round or even 100 rd mags i can bring it all back into CA with me without any problems and still be able to use them?

383green
11-01-2010, 11:13 AM
So If i buy say and LWRC m6a2 in nevada without the bullet button and a handfull of 30 round or even 100 rd mags i can bring it all back into CA with me without any problems and still be able to use them?

No. The rifle would need to be converted to a CA-legal configuration before entering CA, and the magazines would need to be disassembled (and not reassembled in CA) or permanently modified to hold no more than 10 rounds.

NiteQwill
11-01-2010, 11:13 AM

Rifle must have bullet button (if it has evil features).

No, the magazines must be disassembled or used only to rebuild ones owned prior to the pan.

Taxidave
11-01-2010, 11:19 AM

You'll have to keep them in NV.
Handguns not on the roster can be imported with 10 round mags. You just have to fill out the state form and pay the fee for them.

Double_tap
11-01-2010, 12:03 PM
AZ / CO and NV laws similar? so i can buy my select fire/full auto SBS and SBR and all the supressors and silencers i can afford and then when it comes time to move back I can store all that stuff at my friends relatives house/houses in CO or AZ. dissamble or reconfigure all my 30 rd mags, and bring all the off roster guns i can afford to buy back into the state with me?

roostersgt
07-03-2015, 12:46 PM
This thread is almost 5 years old, so some of the laws may have changed a bit. Don't rely on any of the previously given advice. Lots of knowledgable people here, hopefully they'll chime in shortly.

edittman1
07-03-2015, 12:50 PM
Whoops. I see what happened. Thanks to whoever - just most forums like when you use the search feature and look for your answer and update a thread there.

You make a good point that laws/rules have likely changed.