PDA

View Full Version : My M1 Garand.......

WWII collector
10-31-2010, 12:57 PM
I don't know anything about who RC it or anything, all I know is I paid 1200 bucks for it and it shoots great with the old Military ammo.

WWII collector
10-31-2010, 1:01 PM
Serial number, oops, there is a 5 in front of the first 6.

sideshowhr
10-31-2010, 1:03 PM
dang nice looking rifle.

$1200? where'd you pick it up for that much?

bballwizard05
10-31-2010, 1:06 PM
dang nice looking rifle.

Other than CMP, I think it would be near impossible to pick one up in that condition for less. Especially in this state.

OP: NICE rifle!!

WWII collector
10-31-2010, 1:08 PM
dang nice looking rifle.

Guns America, the bayonet didn't come with it.

TRICKSTER
10-31-2010, 1:08 PM
Very nice. Did it come with the bayonet and ammo?

sideshowhr
10-31-2010, 1:10 PM
Other than CMP, I think it would be near impossible to pick one up in that condition for less. Especially in this state.

OP: NICE rifle!!

cmp sells "correct grade" for $1100. nice. i'd assume op's rifle is correct grade?

need to get my *** into gear and get me one of these.

WWII collector
10-31-2010, 1:12 PM
Very nice. Did it come with the bayonet and ammo?

I wish.

The ammo, here.
http://www.ammogarand.com/index.html

The bayonet, ebay.

TRICKSTER
10-31-2010, 1:21 PM
cmp sells "correct grade" for $1100. nice. i'd assume op's rifle is correct grade?

need to get my *** into gear and get me one of these.

Just by the photo's you can tell it's not. The rifles is post WWII and the trigger guard is a WWII trigger guard. I like the way the older trigger guards look with the hole in the back.

metalliman545
10-31-2010, 1:26 PM
damn thats expensive!(ammo)

WWII collector
10-31-2010, 1:31 PM

Yeah, but you get all those kool boxes and bandoliers. nothing cheap in this hobby worth having.

campperrykid
10-31-2010, 4:29 PM
Yeah , not competitive at all . Just run away.
Seems like the work of scalpers with delusions of adequacy and a seriously flawed marketing stategy....

WWII collector
10-31-2010, 5:51 PM
Yeah , not competitive at all . Just run away.
Seems like the work of scalpers with delusions of adequacy and a seriously flawed marketing stategy....

Kind of like my wife's Cadillac STS.

Dr.Mauser
10-31-2010, 6:44 PM
Very pretty rifle, nice catch :D

GMG
10-31-2010, 8:12 PM
If I had to spend that much for ammo, my Garand would be doing alot of safe time.:D

WWII collector
10-31-2010, 8:17 PM
If I had to spend that much for ammo, my Garand would be doing alot of safe time.:D

Collector ammo !!!

NiteQwill
10-31-2010, 8:37 PM
WTF?

$200+ for 192 rounds of ammo.

Rip.

Buy CMP and never look back.

MKT
10-31-2010, 9:02 PM
WTF?

$200+ for 192 rounds of ammo.

Rip.

Buy CMP and never look back.

No kidding! I get 192 rounds in enblocs in a sealed can, for $96.00 plus what, $8.00 shipping?

Why would anyone shoot collector ammo? Seems most of the ammo collectors I know have single examples and/or sealed full boxes. They certainly don't send it down the barrel.

TRICKSTER
10-31-2010, 9:27 PM
Collector ammo !!!

If 1968 Lake City M2 Ball is "Collector ammo" then I'm a very rich man.
As long as your buying collector ammo, let me know if you want some
SL M2 AP. 192 rounds in 8 round garand clips and bandoleers in a sealed spam can for only $450 +shipping.

campperrykid
11-01-2010, 10:35 AM
I'm not in in the market for more en bloc's or 30'06 brass or bando's...
But if I was , a WTB on the CMP site would be my first choice. The second step would be a WTB in the GCA Journal or the Carbine Club newsletter.
Same if I was looking for another Carbine.

Hint...
Hint...
Dr Mauser.
A lot of the GCA and Carbine Club guys will thin their collections from time to time.

metalliman545
11-01-2010, 10:54 AM
If 1968 Lake City M2 Ball is "Collector ammo" then I'm a very rich man.
As long as your buying collector ammo, let me know if you want some
SL M2 AP. 192 rounds in 8 round garand clips and bandoleers in a sealed spam can for only $450 +shipping.

lol i know right? i got two spam cans of M2AP for like 300 shipped.
and 2 spam cans WITH CRATE(just for ww2 collector, hows that for collectors ammo?) for about 230 shipped. just saying, i own a garand as well. havent shot it yet(in iraq) built in 55 my baby looks so beautiful.

WWII collector
11-01-2010, 11:46 AM
You guys don't cut anyone any slack, I've only been collecting a short time, this is my first rodeo. Everyone has to pay there dues. I also collect show koi, paid my dues there a long time ago. I collect bonsai trees, paid my dues there too. Give me some time and I will catch up as fast as I can. I used to restore and build street rods for 35 years, anyone care to debate me on anyone of those hobbies ?

metalliman545
11-01-2010, 1:42 PM
You guys don't cut anyone any slack, I've only been collecting a short time, this is my first rodeo. Everyone has to pay there dues. I also collect show koi, paid my dues there a long time ago. I collect bonsai trees, paid my dues there too. Give me some time and I will catch up as fast as I can. I used to restore and build street rods for 35 years, anyone care to debate me on anyone of those hobbies ?

no because this is a gun forum, specifically a Curio And Relics forum. if you come out with a deal, then we will tell you. you get burned, we tell you that youve been burned. you thought this ammo was "collectors ammo" we told you it wasnt. theres a lot cheaper places, such as CMP, or even going on gun broker and asking the seller if he can cut you a special deal off the record.
ill seriously sell you some collector .30-06
its from Greece. in a 192 spam can in bandoliers and in 8 round clips still sealed in a spam can in original crate.(just a joke btw tryingto point out anyone can say that something is more special then it actually is) just because they write collectors on it, doesnt make it so. or just because someone tells you. research, your a troll however, at least thats what a lot of people, including myself see you as. maybe you should do a 180 and check yourself come out a little more you know, less smug. nice rifle. i actually do hope its yours and not another "myfriend worked for the government for 25-30 years, he had USMC ties and he gave this to me, along with a flame thrower that i repaired"

WWII collector
11-01-2010, 1:53 PM
no because this is a gun forum, specifically a Curio And Relics forum. if you come out with a deal, then we will tell you. you get burned, we tell you that youve been burned. you thought this ammo was "collectors ammo" we told you it wasnt. theres a lot cheaper places, such as CMP, or even going on gun broker and asking the seller if he can cut you a special deal off the record.
ill seriously sell you some collector .30-06
its from Greece. in a 192 spam can in bandoliers and in 8 round clips still sealed in a spam can in original crate.(just a joke btw tryingto point out anyone can say that something is more special then it actually is) just because they write collectors on it, doesnt make it so. or just because someone tells you. research, your a troll however, at least thats what a lot of people, including myself see you as. maybe you should do a 180 and check yourself come out a little more you know, less smug. nice rifle. i actually do hope its yours and not another "myfriend worked for the government for 25-30 years, he had USMC ties and he gave this to me, along with a flame thrower that i repaired"

Apparantly you guys read what you want to read, not what I posted. Sorry to come as smug, it's hard to write on the internet for me at 68 and sound the way you want me too. Please go back and read my post, I said nothing about owning a flame thrower,geez.

metalliman545
11-01-2010, 2:04 PM
Apparantly you guys read what you want to read, not what I posted. Sorry to come as smug, it's hard to write on the internet for me at 68 and sound the way you want me too. Please go back and read my post, I said nothing about owning a flame thrower,geez.

soo your other post about your friend sending you odd things like flame throwers, and experimental weapons for you to fix is not true? pics. a picture is worth a lot.

WWII collector
11-01-2010, 2:14 PM
soo your other post about your friend sending you odd things like flame throwers, and experimental weapons for you to fix is not true? pics. a picture is worth a lot.

No one gave me Sh#t idiot, I don't even know the guy, I never talked to him, but we did email.You are not going to prod me into giving you my source. I might send the info to someone I could trust, just to back up my story.

NaughtyMonkey
11-01-2010, 8:04 PM
Nice rifle but not to be a jerk or anything but you could have gotten two from the CMP for almost that much. http://www.thecmp.org/m1garand.htm

Also you can get ammo just like that from the CMP for cheaper. http://www.thecmp.org/ammosales.htm

I'm looking for an International Harvester M1 Garand and I can't find one :(

The Two M1 Garands I got from the CMP (just to show you what to expect)

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=357165

P.S. Not to be on WWII collector's side. I'm not on anybodys side but we all show off what we have. I post pictures of all the weapons and new weapons I acquire. Not to show off, "what I have is better" or "be jealous" etc, but I'm proud of what I have and own. Its mine and I love this hobby and I love all my guns, I'd never get rid of any of them. Just my Two cents on this subject.

P.P.S. (I know another edit) but I just noticed something Ironic. Your name is WWII Collector but you bought a Korean War M1 Garand haha. lol.

WWII collector
11-01-2010, 8:23 PM
Nice rifle but not to be a jerk or anything but you could have gotten two from the CMP for almost that much. http://www.thecmp.org/m1garand.htm

Also you can get ammo just like that from the CMP for cheaper. http://www.thecmp.org/ammosales.htm

I'm looking for an International Harvester M1 Garand and I can't find one :(

The Two M1 Garands I got from the CMP (just to show you what to expect)

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=357165

P.S. Not to be on WWII collector's side. I'm not on anybodys side but we all show off what we have. I post pictures of all the weapons and new weapons I acquire. Not to show off, "what I have is better" or "be jealous" etc, but I'm proud of what I have and own. Its mine and I love this hobby and I love all my guns, I'd never get rid of any of them. Just my Two cents on this subject.

P.P.S. (I know another edit) but I just noticed something Ironic. Your name is WWII Collector but you bought a Korean War M1 Garand haha. lol.

Feel better now, glad I could provide you with a chuckle.

NaughtyMonkey
11-01-2010, 8:27 PM
Wait you feel better or asking if I feel better? I'm a little confused there.

WWII collector
11-01-2010, 8:39 PM
Wait you feel better or asking if I feel better? I'm a little confused there.

The fact I bought a Korean Garand instead of a WWII Garand and you find that amusing.

NaughtyMonkey
11-01-2010, 8:43 PM
Only because your name is WWII Collector so I figured you would get a WWII M1 Garand, thats all that I was saying. I have a Springfield (WW2) Winchester (WW2) But its in horrible horrible horrible condition (got it from Big 5 before I knew of the CMP, almost a year ago) and I have an Harrington and Richardson like yours, (Korean) I want an International Harvester so I can have all 4 of the military M1 Garands.

Have you shot yours yet? I'm dieing to shoot my two new ones. Its killing me, but I been working so much lately :(

Wait, I re read your first post, you said it shoots great! Doh! lol.

WWII collector
11-01-2010, 8:51 PM
Only because your name is WWII Collector so I figured you would get a WWII M1 Garand, thats all that I was saying. I have a Springfield (WW2) Winchester (WW2) But its in horrible horrible horrible condition (got it from Big 5 before I knew of the CMP, almost a year ago) and I have an Harrington and Richardson like yours, (Korean) I want an International Harvester so I can have all 4 of the military M1 Garands.

Have you shot yours yet? I'm dieing to shoot my two new ones. Its killing me, but I been working so much lately :(

Wait, I re read your first post, you said it shoots great! Doh! lol.

My son shoots it like he's paying for the ammo......;)
8 bucks to shoot here including the targets and 4 bucks for my grandsons.

NaughtyMonkey
11-01-2010, 8:52 PM
Thats not bad. Where I go its $10 dollars per person but little kids are free. haha. So my sisters gets in she's only 8 and she shoots her little .22. lol.

TRICKSTER
11-01-2010, 8:53 PM
The fact I bought a Korean Garand instead of a WWII Garand and you find that amusing.

It's not Korean war era either. I believe that the 5.6 mil. serial number range would be 1955. The Korean War Armistice was signed in July of 1953. :D

NaughtyMonkey
11-01-2010, 8:56 PM
oooh Trickster, Mr. Technical, you know what I was getting at! haha. So its Post Korea, pre Vietnam. Happy? Jeeze. lol.

forgiven
11-02-2010, 1:56 AM
It's a nice Garand, enjoy.:)

WWII collector
11-02-2010, 8:31 AM
It's a nice Garand, enjoy.:)

Thanks, we do. I'm a little disappointed though, the guy I bought it from said it belonged to Audie Murphy.......:D

foesgth
11-02-2010, 9:00 AM
Nice MI!! When you get ready to really tune it in for long range shooting take a look at this article (http://www.thecmp.org/askarmorergascylinderpeen.htm). Also you might want to check out "Fred's guide to becoming a rifleman". It was written by the guy who started the Appleseed Project. It is around on line for free but it is nice to get a copy from Fred's M14 stocks so you have it all in one package. He has all the come ups for your Garand sights. Don't let the detractors on CalGuns bother you they are just jealous and want your Garand!:43:

WWII collector
11-02-2010, 9:14 AM
What is the purpose of these tools .. ?

metalliman545
11-02-2010, 10:09 AM
i believe thats a cleaning rod handle along with oiler dipstick

Milsurp Collector
11-02-2010, 10:17 AM
What is the purpose of these tools .. ?

Reproduction buttstock cleaning kit http://www.brownells.com/1/1/11764-m1-garand-wwii-buttstock-cleaning-kit-m1-garand-kit-c-j-weapons-acc.html

WWII collector
11-02-2010, 10:24 AM
Reproduction buttstock cleaning kit http://www.brownells.com/1/1/11764-m1-garand-wwii-buttstock-cleaning-kit-m1-garand-kit-c-j-weapons-acc.html

Ok, but what is the purpose of the odd shaped black piece, other than a handle for the cleaning rod ?

Milsurp Collector
11-02-2010, 11:01 AM
Ok, but what is the purpose of the odd shaped black piece, other than a handle for the cleaning rod ?

It's called the M10 Combination Tool. It is the handle of the cleaning rod, a screwdriver for the gas cylinder lock screw and buttplate screws, and it can be used to disassemble the bolt.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ctd_images/bgprod/27884.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v107/sailor45/HRA%20Garand/Detail%20Strip/03M10inchamber400.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v107/sailor45/HRA%20Garand/Detail%20Strip/04RotateTool400.jpg

WWII collector
11-02-2010, 11:04 AM
It's called the M10 Combination Tool. It is the handle of the cleaning rod, a screwdriver for the gas cylinder lock screw and buttplate screws, and it can be used to disassemble the bolt.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ctd_images/bgprod/27884.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v107/sailor45/HRA%20Garand/Detail%20Strip/03M10inchamber400.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v107/sailor45/HRA%20Garand/Detail%20Strip/04RotateTool400.jpg

Thanks !!

Milsurp Collector
11-02-2010, 11:20 AM
You're welcome!

See, doesn't knowing what that doohickey is called and what you can do with it make collecting more fun, not less? :)

Just sometimes knowing to much information, takes the fun out of collecting.

WWII collector
11-02-2010, 11:23 AM
You're welcome!

See, doesn't knowing what that doohickey is called and what you can do with it make collecting more fun, not less? :)

Yeah, but I'm 68 and love Scotch, so more than likely if I don't write it down, I'll forget it........:D