PDA

View Full Version : Loving AZ! Cash -n- Carry!

PonchoTA
10-31-2010, 9:37 AM
Went to a buddy's house who is helping his girlfriend sell her ex's guns (he died, willed them to her).
Made the deal, signed the transfer paper, and put the new rifle out in the car! No muss, no fuss!

Got a 20" Marlin 1894 in .44 Remington/Magnum and 225 rounds for $350.

Good deal, or what? :D

Now to find a good scope for it, can't see much past 25 yds with the iron sights. :( Top has already been tapped for the scope mount. Any suggestions?

VegasND
10-31-2010, 10:01 AM
Nice deal, I'd have jumped on it!

Oh, and welcome to the way most of the US buys/sells/trades guns.

Snapping Twig
10-31-2010, 10:17 AM
I bought one, a 1978 vintage pre safety in a remarkably similar deal, only in California and I had to wait 10 days. Congratulations on your new rifle.

There's two ways to go on sights.

Peeps are fantastic for older eyes, no kidding. Buckhorns do not work for me, but peeps like Skinner or XS, those work.

On my 1894 I mounted an older 2x7 Leupold VX II. Just the right size and magnification.

Another option is a scout scope. If you mount an XS scout rail on your rifle, something like a Leupold FX II or a Burris is a solid choice. I did this on an 1895 and it is very good and allows two eyes open sight aquisition.

Noobert
10-31-2010, 10:19 AM
Transfer paper?

PonchoTA
10-31-2010, 10:51 AM
I bought one, a 1978 vintage pre safety in a remarkably similar deal, only in California and I had to wait 10 days. Congratulations on your new rifle.

There's two ways to go on sights.

Peeps are fantastic for older eyes, no kidding. Buckhorns do not work for me, but peeps like Skinner or XS, those work.

On my 1894 I mounted an older 2x7 Leupold VX II. Just the right size and magnification.

Another option is a scout scope. If you mount an XS scout rail on your rifle, something like a Leupold FX II or a Burris is a solid choice. I did this on an 1895 and it is very good and allows two eyes open sight aquisition.
Thanks for the suggestions! I've seen a nice peep site that worked pretty well, but will keep an eye out for those scopes too. If you have links for the rail and scopes, that would be very helpful!

Agro
10-31-2010, 10:52 AM
Is it not possible to be a CA resident, drive to AZ and do a cash and carry transaction with an AZ resident?

PonchoTA
10-31-2010, 10:55 AM
Transfer paper?

Yeah, some sort of CYA letter that was drawn up by "Academy of Personal Protection and Security, Inc.", and she wanted to make sure there was no more tie to her for the firearm.

I don't think it has any legality other than the seller may be protected in case I go commit a crime with it :rolleyes: and they can't be sued for it.

Dunno. Seemed harmless enough.

QQQ
10-31-2010, 11:21 AM
Is it not possible to be a CA resident, drive to AZ and do a cash and carry transaction with an AZ resident?

Not legally.

Average Joe American
10-31-2010, 11:22 AM
Thats why I would never will my guns to a girlfriend. She will just sell them before the ink dries on my death certificate. I'd rather leave them to my sons or my father or my favorite cousin or best friend.

PonchoTA
10-31-2010, 11:34 AM
Thats why I would never will my guns to a girlfriend. She will just sell them before the ink dries on my death certificate. I'd rather leave them to my sons or my father or my favorite cousin or best friend.

Actually, they were quite good friends even after they split. I think he specifically willed them to her to help take care of her ($$), without treading on the new boyfriend's toes.

All accounts point to him just being a nice guy, and wanting to do something nice for her. He evidently knew she would sell them. His nicer collectibles he DID give to his brother...

hitman13
10-31-2010, 12:21 PM
Welcome to AZ brother. You going shooting next weekend at the range in CG? Not sure if you are on the ARFcom AZ HTF.....

PonchoTA
10-31-2010, 12:30 PM
Thanks hitman! I've been here since mid-March and I'm loving it!

Well, I won't be here next weekend, on travel (birthday weekend too!)
Which range in CG? ("CG"? Not familiar)

I am on arfcom, (same username too), but rarely on there. Most of the participants seemed to be about 15 (at least they acted like it), lots of bickering and stuff that didn't appeal to me. I liked the sale section, but the days of getting a good deal on anything are all but gone I think.

Most of my online activity is relegated to here and ArizonaShooting.com (again, same username). Has arf gotten better?

hitman13
10-31-2010, 12:41 PM
Not really, I rarely post, just check the HTF for local stuff and check the SF regularly.

CG is Casa Grande, where the 8 and 10 meet pretty much, probably about an hour from you. I haven't been to that range but I hear it is decent (and free), covered areas, shooting tables, etc. Pretty sure it is BLM land. There is no target hangers / stands, and no RM from what I hear.

I am up in San Tan Valley (85143), hit me up if you are ever in the area, I have a local desert spot to shoot at.