PDA

View Full Version : Recorded myself making some 223

XDRoX
10-31-2010, 8:24 AM
I recorded myself last night loading some 223. We usually prep all our brass ahead of time. So I'm only using 3 stations on my press. I can easily load over 600 an hour starting with prepped brass. Just wanted to post in case some of you guys don't know what reloading looks like, or need an extra push to get out there and start reloading.
If you have any questions about the reloading process feel free to ask.
axVq0ADL-fg

themailman
10-31-2010, 9:07 AM
Chris,
how much does a setup like this cost? At what round count does it start to pay off? Thanks bro.

thrillhouse700
10-31-2010, 9:09 AM
The extra push I need to reload is money :) I am also scared that I will blow myself up. I bought the ABCs book and slowly reading it.

Low-Pressure
10-31-2010, 9:10 AM
I recorded myself last night loading some 223. We usually prep all our brass ahead of time. So I'm only using 3 stations on my press. I can easily load over 600 an hour starting with prepped brass. Just wanted to post in case some of you guys don't know what reloading looks like, or need an extra push to get out there and start reloading.
axVq0ADL-fg

:cheers2: I'm a lot slower than you are, I'm using a single stage press which I do not mind at all. A good hobby and saves you some pennies and makes you go out there and shoot more.

Mac Attack
10-31-2010, 9:15 AM
Nice video.

stphnman20
10-31-2010, 9:16 AM
Nice man.. Bump some music. It helps me get in the groove.

XDRoX
10-31-2010, 9:59 AM
Chris,
how much does a setup like this cost? At what round count does it start to pay off? Thanks bro.

That's a $420 press. You'd also need a $50 scale and $20 calipers. So for under $500 you're GTG.

I'm not sure how many rounds you'd need to reload to make the money back. If you google reloading calculator, click on the one that's called shooterX or something like that. It'll tell you everything regarding costs and making your money back. I'm on my iPad so it's hard to do things right now, but when I get home I'll post more about costs.
I do know that I reload 9mm for around 10 cents a round. I haven't run the numbers on 223 yet. I'm guessing I load it for about half as much as it costs.

XDRoX
10-31-2010, 10:04 AM
:cheers2: I'm a lot slower than you are, I'm using a single stage press which I do not mind at all. A good hobby and saves you some pennies and makes you go out there and shoot more.

I agree. I have a few single stages on the bench as well. But for the 223, the Dillon is awesome. We really shoot that stuff fast.

XDRoX
10-31-2010, 10:06 AM
Nice video.

Thanks.

Nice man.. Bump some music. It helps me get in the groove.

Lol, I turned off the music for the video. I didn't want to listen to the haters dis my jams:D

badhabit90
10-31-2010, 11:21 AM
looks like a great set up. i sold my RCBS as i could never get 'into it.' the Dillon looks more streamlined to me and got me thinking again.

so about 500 for the set up.
brass, bullets, primers, powder is gonna be another 100 if you find some good deals. depending on what to reload, and the dies, it could save you some money at some point past the 500 round mark.

dammit.....now im wanting to do this again.:cool:

Exile Machine
10-31-2010, 12:10 PM
Looks great. The sound of the finished rounds clinking into the bin is mesmerizing. I did not know it was so easy. I'm imagining this happening in some underground survival bunker and you'd be able to survive for years post-apocalypse if you laid in enough stock of brass, powder, and bullets.

Do us a favor and video it from the other side of the press. I see how you put the cases in there and I'm assuming you're grabbing and placing the bullets with your left hand but how does the powder get in?

-Mark

thrillhouse700
10-31-2010, 12:14 PM
Maybe you could come over to my house and be my mentor and teach me :)

Budlite74
10-31-2010, 12:18 PM
awesome vid... thanks!

XDRoX
10-31-2010, 12:35 PM
looks like a great set up. i sold my RCBS as i could never get 'into it.' the Dillon looks more streamlined to me and got me thinking again.

so about 500 for the set up.
brass, bullets, primers, powder is gonna be another 100 if you find some good deals. depending on what to reload, and the dies, it could save you some money at some point past the 500 round mark.

dammit.....now im wanting to do this again.:cool:

Ya, brass is pretty much free at the range. Bullets are around $11 per 100 and primers are around $20 per 1K.

I also forgot to add in the price of the dies in my last post. I know a lot of people that use $20 Lee dies. In that video though, I'm using $60 Dillon dies.

XDRoX
10-31-2010, 12:37 PM
Looks great. The sound of the finished rounds clinking into the bin is mesmerizing. I did not know it was so easy. I'm imagining this happening in some underground survival bunker and you'd be able to survive for years post-apocalypse if you laid in enough stock of brass, powder, and bullets.

Do us a favor and video it from the other side of the press. I see how you put the cases in there and I'm assuming you're grabbing and placing the bullets with your left hand but how does the powder get in?

-Mark

Here is a picture of the whole machine. The powder gets dropped into the case in Station 2. Station 3 seats the bullet (which I am placing with my left hand), and Station 4 crimps the case.
http://www.dillonprecision.com/uimages//RL_550_cat_shot_m.jpg

XDRoX
10-31-2010, 12:38 PM
awesome vid... thanks!

Your welcome. If I can convince one more person to reload, then it was well worth it.

Exile Machine
10-31-2010, 12:47 PM
Thanks for the explanation. I think this is something I will try. I wasn't aware it was so easy to do. I'd imagine you could crank out a whole bunch of ammo in a short time.

XDRoX
10-31-2010, 8:20 PM
Thanks for the explanation. I think this is something I will try. I wasn't aware it was so easy to do. I'd imagine you could crank out a whole bunch of ammo in a short time.

It's not as easy as it appears in the video, but it isn't that hard either. For 223 there is some prep work before the brass is ready for the blue press in the video. But for pistol, all you do is pick up the dirty brass, tumble it for a couple hours and reload it. You can reload pistol rounds 500 an hour easy from start to finish.

You guys have inspired me to make some more detailed videos.

us.marshal
10-31-2010, 8:31 PM
I enjoyed your video. Very informative, thank you.

scoot64
10-31-2010, 8:32 PM
What all do you need for prepping your brass. I've been wanting to get into reloading for a while now since I have a number of Calibers I'm dealing with. Money has just been tight. Where do you recommend picking up equipment from?

XDRoX
10-31-2010, 8:49 PM
What all do you need for prepping your brass. I've been wanting to get into reloading for a while now since I have a number of Calibers I'm dealing with. Money has just been tight. Where do you recommend picking up equipment from?

If it's pistol rounds, all you'll need is a tumbler from harbor freight. Rifle is a bit more complicated as you'll need to trim the brass. I use my drill press to trim so all I had to buy is a cutter for like $10.

The more you want to spend the faster and easier it will be. A $500 press like the one in my video will load 500 rounds an hour, or you could get a $100 press that only loads 50 rounds an hour. All depends on how much you want to spend.

There are lots of good threads and help in the ammo forum.

I buy all of my equipment and components online.

Mac Attack
10-31-2010, 8:55 PM
What is your load recipe? I have a 650 and am gearing up to load .223 but need to get a conversion kit and casefeeder plate first.

XDRoX
10-31-2010, 9:07 PM
What is your load recipe? I have a 650 and am gearing up to load .223 but need to get a conversion kit and casefeeder plate first.

I've tried 5 different powders. TAC is my favorite. I'm loading 24.5gr of TAC under a 55gr FMJBT (Hornady). I load to 2.225 OAL. I haven't chrono'd them yet, but they fire great.

adamsreeftank
10-31-2010, 10:30 PM
Nice video. Can you list the steps you go through to prep your brass and what you use to do it? Do you use single stage presses to de-prime and resize your brass?

Mac Attack
10-31-2010, 11:15 PM
I've tried 5 different powders. TAC is my favorite. I'm loading 24.5gr of TAC under a 55gr FMJBT (Hornady). I load to 2.225 OAL. I haven't chrono'd them yet, but they fire great.

Does TAC meter well for you? I bought 8 lbs of Varget because a lot of people recommended it but when I found out I could use the same powder for my .30-06 and 7.5 Swiss I have been using it for those rounds. Varget is a stick powder and I found it does not meter well and am looking for ball powder which should help give me a more consistent charge.

PEBKAC
10-31-2010, 11:23 PM
Great video. :)

I probably will have to drop some cash to get one of those when some room frees up in the garage.

Also, someone should sample that and make some phat beats from it. ;)

TNP'R
10-31-2010, 11:31 PM
I could see this being done in some sweat shop in china lol.

RaymondMillbrae
10-31-2010, 11:42 PM
Funny,

as long as I have been reloading, I have never seen a 550 in action. (Guess I've been living under a rock). ;)

Click on the RELOADING .223 VIDEO below my signature. (OR CLICK HERE (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=313431)).

Don't mean to steal/hijack your thread, but I made the tutorial to show reloaders (or those interested) how to reload .223 ammo with an XL650.

Be safe out there!!

In Christ: Raymond

NiteQwill
10-31-2010, 11:54 PM
Any experience with the Dillon case trimmer? I've always wondered if it's worth the $$$ to shell out. It sure is sweet though, great vid.

Edit: I just watched Raymond's video... it looks like it's worth it... :D

Anchors
11-01-2010, 12:09 AM
Here is a picture of the whole machine. The powder gets dropped into the case in Station 2. Station 3 seats the bullet (which I am placing with my left hand), and Station 4 crimps the case.
http://www.dillonprecision.com/uimages//RL_550_cat_shot_m.jpg

This is what I was wondering.

So these progressive machines work like that.

I was going to ask what the difference between this and the cheaper turret style ones was.

I don't know if I could do it with the hand press (not enough time) but maybe this.

How much does it cost (minus brass, bullets, and primers) to change calibers.

Like for the extra set of dies or whatever else you need for a different caliber?

Anchors
11-01-2010, 12:12 AM
Also, I wish I had like $15,000 and could do fully automated reloading, then again if I had that money I wouldn't need to save on ammo.

Deadon
11-01-2010, 9:13 AM
Can you post a link as to where you bought that setup?

EL_NinO619
11-01-2010, 9:18 AM
Does TAC meter well for you? I bought 8 lbs of Varget because a lot of people recommended it but when I found out I could use the same powder for my .30-06 and 7.5 Swiss I have been using it for those rounds. Varget is a stick powder and I found it does not meter well and am looking for ball powder which should help give me a more consistent charge.

Tac meters very good, it is a real fine powder. http://i893.photobucket.com/albums/ac135/Justin_Moreau/EL_NinO619/DSCN1293.jpg?t=1288631874

NiteQwill
11-01-2010, 9:19 AM

Check the classifieds. There is a seller that can get rock bottom prices on Dillon equipment.

XDRoX
11-01-2010, 9:56 AM
Nice video. Can you list the steps you go through to prep your brass and what you use to do it? Do you use single stage presses to de-prime and resize your brass?

Tumble
Lube (Horn One Shot)
Size/Deprime on a single stage
Swage (if needed)
Trim (drill press)
Deburr (RCBS trimmate)
Tumble

XDRoX
11-01-2010, 9:57 AM

I also did not care for Varget. It did not meter well in the Dillon. TAC meters like water. Extremely consistent, very fine.

So is W748 if you can't find TAC.

XDRoX
11-01-2010, 10:02 AM
This is what I was wondering.

So these progressive machines work like that.

I was going to ask what the difference between this and the cheaper turret style ones was.

I don't know if I could do it with the hand press (not enough time) but maybe this.

How much does it cost (minus brass, bullets, and primers) to change calibers.

Like for the extra set of dies or whatever else you need for a different caliber?

I have a Dillon 550b. I load 223, 9mm, and 38spl on it. I have separate complete tool heads for each caliber. So I slide the whole head (dies and powder) out and replace it with another one.

A complete tool head conversion costs about $200 for everything including expensive Dillon dies.

If you wanted to use the same powder container for different calibers the cost would drop significantly, but it's more work to change calibers. I can change calibers in under 5 minutes.

XDRoX
11-01-2010, 10:05 AM

I bought directly from Dillon (http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/content/p/9/catid/1/pid/23594/?viewImg=1).

You can also buy from Brian Enos. You can do a search for his forum.

XDRoX
11-01-2010, 10:08 AM
Funny,

as long as I have been reloading, I have never seen a 550 in action. (Guess I've been living under a rock). ;)

Click on the RELOADING .223 VIDEO below my signature. (OR CLICK HERE (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=313431)).

Don't mean to steal/hijack your thread, but I made the tutorial to show reloaders (or those interested) how to reload .223 ammo with an XL650.

Be safe out there!!

In Christ: Raymond

I didn't think I'd be showing you anything new in my video:D Glad you finally got to see a 550 in action. It's a nice little press.

Glad you chimed in. I wanted to post a fast easy to watch video to get newbies interested. Now they can watch your videos for a more in depth education in reloading.

Johnny6gun
11-01-2010, 10:57 AM
I found it's better to use a single stage for rifle calibers, why spend over $400 on a press to just add powder and seat. All the work is in the prep. Progressive is great for pistol calibers, no lube and not much trimming. Get a good single stage and a Lyman 1200 DPS III Digital Powder System for the rifle calibers.

XDRoX
11-01-2010, 11:25 AM
I found it's better to use a single stage for rifle calibers, why spend over $400 on a press to just add powder and seat. All the work is in the prep. Progressive is great for pistol calibers, no lube and not much trimming. Get a good single stage and a Lyman 1200 DPS III Digital Powder System for the rifle calibers.

Most rifle brass only needs to be trimmed once. After one trim and the use of an RCBS X die, the brass will be loaded just like pistol ammo for the life of the case.

So after the initial trim and an X-die it's either 50 rounds an hour on a SS, or 500 rounds an hour on a progressive.

For accuracy rounds, a SS is the only way to go. But for plinking rounds, a progressive excels.

You may also want to check out Raymond's instructional videos a few posts up.

DULLYJAY
11-01-2010, 12:51 PM
NICE. I load 223/5.56 as well on a 550. I get powder spills from time to time, no matter how I adjust the shell plate. Outside of that and a miss primer sometimes, its good to go.
http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t48/DULLYJAY/FamilyPics210.jpg

CSACANNONEER
11-01-2010, 12:56 PM
I call BS on reloading 600 rounds an hour with either a 550 or a 650 (I have both). Or, are you not taking into account the time it takes to get your primers into a pick up tube? Or, did you get lucky and get a Dillion primer tube filler thingy that actually works?

BTW, for those who do not know a lot about reloading, he is starting with prepped brass and, when it comes to bottlenecked cartridges, brass prep takes the most time.

Another thing, anyone who thinks that they will "save money" by reloading is smoking some good stuff. Once you take up the hobby, you will make better ammo than you can buy and you will shoot a lot more ammo. You'll never save a cent but, you'll get a lot more trigger time!!!!!!

XDRoX
11-01-2010, 1:05 PM
NICE. I load 223/5.56 as well on a 550. I get powder spills from time to time, no matter how I adjust the shell plate. Outside of that and a miss primer sometimes, its good to go.

What's causing the powder spills? Is the case getting stuck on its way into the die?

DULLYJAY
11-01-2010, 1:09 PM
What's causing the powder spills? Is the case getting stuck on its way into the die?
Thats it.

XDRoX
11-01-2010, 1:14 PM
Thats it.

I had this same problem. I polished the inside of the die with my dremel, a felt tip, and some polishing compound. It completely fixed the problem.
Give it a try.

I know people that always polish the insides of their powder dies before they even use them. After seeing the results from the one time when I did it, I'm probably going to polish all of mine too.

Dhena81
11-01-2010, 3:12 PM
You guys know reloading is inherently safe if you work up safe loads and always wear eye protection. It is simple but at the same time you will be amazed at the knowledge some of the veteran guys posses. I've read 4 books and have watched and subscribe to a lot of YouTube videos and still learn new stuff everyday. Its made me change my mind a few times on what I need and can pass on.

Some of you guys should realize there are other sections in this forum right like reloading check it out if this really interests you. I'm going to start reloading in January since all my Christmas gifts are Reloading equipment related. I just started building my bench in the garage its going to be sick I'm really excited.

LOL @ CSACANNONEER I keep hearing that you almost seem upset. The Dillion primer filler doesn't work well???

Johnny6gun
11-01-2010, 4:13 PM
For accuracy rounds, a SS is the only way to go. But for plinking rounds, a progressive excels.

Accuracy is why i reload, it's a waste of time to produce inaccurate ammo. I have a 7.62 saiga and .22 rifles and pistols for plinking.

CSACANNONEER
11-01-2010, 6:43 PM
LOL @ CSACANNONEER I keep hearing that you almost seem upset. The Dillion primer filler doesn't work well???

Not upset. I just can't believe that anyone can consistantly load that fast. Sure, I can take 15-20 minutes to prep everything and then load 500-600 in a 60 minute period. But, that's not how I read his claim. I just posted to let new reloaders know that they should not count on a speed like that out of a 550. I don't use a primer filler but, 've heard that you either get one that works great or, you get one that'll never work quite right.

BTW, reading books on reloading is nothing like hands on learning. I'm NOT a NRA certified reloading instructor but, I'll be more than happy to have you over sometime to see how I load. We could even take a few hours to do a little casting and lube/sizing if you're interested. Just shoot me a PM if you want to.

DULLYJAY
11-01-2010, 9:01 PM
I had this same problem. I polished the inside of the die with my dremel, a felt tip, and some polishing compound. It completely fixed the problem.
Give it a try.

I know people that always polish the insides of their powder dies before they even use them. After seeing the results from the one time when I did it, I'm probably going to polish all of mine too.

THX 4 the tip. I'll do that.

XDRoX
11-02-2010, 8:54 AM
I call BS on reloading 600 rounds an hour with either a 550 or a 650 (I have both). Or, are you not taking into account the time it takes to get your primers into a pick up tube? Or, did you get lucky and get a Dillion primer tube filler thingy that actually works?

I don't recall ever saying that I could load 600 an hour.
I can load 500 rounds an hour (pistol) on my 550. If a bet was involved then I'm thinking I could hit the 600 mark:D

I am not however including the time it takes to fill the primer tubes. Nor am I including the time it takes to tumble the brass, sort the cases, or pick up spent cases at the range.:rolleyes: I start the clock when the handle makes its first pull:D

I do pre-fill my primer tubes before I start reloading, so they're ready to go.

XDRoX
11-02-2010, 8:54 AM
THX 4 the tip. I'll do that.

Let me know how it works.

CSACANNONEER
11-02-2010, 9:10 AM

I am not however including the time it takes to fill the primer tubes. Nor am I including the time it takes to tumble the brass, sort the cases, or pick up spent cases at the range.:rolleyes: I start the clock when the handle makes its first pull:D

I do pre-fill my primer tubes before I start reloading, so they're ready to go.

Yep, with everything prepped, I bet you can get close to 600 rounds per hour for an hour. Again, I just didn't want someone to be misled into thinking that one person could sustain that rate over several hours without taking additional time to re-prep.

XDRoX
11-02-2010, 9:36 AM

I can easily load over 600 an hour starting with prepped brass.
:o

Anchors
11-03-2010, 8:08 PM
Would I be better off getting this?
https://kempfgunshop.com//index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=630&category_id=190&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=41

Or just getting the press by itself for about $90 and then getting the other stuff (I also get a small discount at Midway for C&R license)

Just trying to figure out which way would be cheaper (like does that kid come with unnecessary stuff that I won't use.)

Also. Can you get the classic turret with the auto-indexing feature?