PDA

View Full Version : legal question about mag release with 22 conv, and FA safety selector

ohlone
10-30-2010, 11:36 PM
some questions,
1. if i have the 22lr converter in my regular AR15, the upper is marked 5.56, at this moment, can i change the bb to regular mag release (or turn the hex screw in the bb convertible) while i still have the AR15 BCG in my gun case?

also how about i have two lower in my gun case, one with bb and one with reg mag release, will that be better?

2. for spike lower, it has the full auto mark, and i was thinking if someone installs a full auto safety selector, which can move to full auto, but with semi auto LPK, it will be the same as a safety, the gun won't fire anyway. is this an ok setup? in range someone may see the selector is on full auto, will that create problem?

3. can i keep a complete lower w/o bb at home? is this legal?

4. can i keep hi cap mag at home legally? how about keep them as rebuilds?

thanks ;)

Agro
10-31-2010, 11:06 AM
I wouldn't think I am wrong, but if I am someone will chime in and correct me. But here's how I understand it...

some questions,
1. if i have the 22lr converter in my regular AR15, the upper is marked 5.56, at this moment, can i change the bb to regular mag release (or turn the hex screw in the bb convertible) while i still have the AR15 BCG in my gun case?

Without an upper attached to your lower, it is not any specific caliber. The markings don't mean anything other than something for you to look at. Someone may say to store the regular centerfire upper in a different case/spot than the lower if the lower has a regular mag release, but thats just personal opinion, not law.

I personally would store my lower with regular magazine release in separate case from my centerfire upper (unless no centerfire bcg is present in it, and it has the .22LR conversion in it). I don't want there to be any doubt. But you don't need to. no law is broken when the upper/lower are not attached to each other!

also how about i have two lower in my gun case, one with bb and one with reg mag release, will that be better?

Technically it doesn't make a difference, since neither lower is attached to an upper. But once again, someone might say that if stopped by a LEO, you could argue that both lowers are present. Either way, you are not breaking any law by having one or both lowers present in a case with a centerfire upper.

2. for spike lower, it has the full auto mark, and i was thinking if someone installs a full auto safety selector, which can move to full auto, but with semi auto LPK, it will be the same as a safety, the gun won't fire anyway. is this an ok setup? in range someone may see the selector is on full auto, will that create problem?

As long as when you do one single pull of the trigger, no more than 1 round is fired, you are fine. Sure you may (unlikely) get some flak from someone, but you could just tell them to mind their own business or if you want, prove to them its still semi-auto.

3. can i keep a complete lower w/o bb at home? is this legal?

Sure, without the appropriate upper attached to it, it is not breaking any laws in that configuration.

4. can i keep hi cap mag at home legally? how about keep them as rebuilds?

If the magazines are capable of accepting more than 10 rounds, then they must have been imported in to California before the ban.

The other option would be to never assemble the post-ban magazines in to full magazines. Unassembled they are just "parts".

No law broken.

CSACANNONEER
10-31-2010, 11:12 AM
I would not put a FA selector in any non NFA registered FA gun. I think that even possession of any FA only parts along with a host gun is considered constructive possession on a Federal level. Before even attempting to buy a FA selector, write to ATF (not DOJ) and get a written letter back from them. If they say you are GTG, then great. If not, at least your not going to risk a ten year all expense paid vaction.