PDA

View Full Version : Wally world Mosin fix

D53
10-30-2010, 10:49 PM
What can I use from Wally world to polish/buff my Mosin 91/30 to get rid of the sticky bore? I am hitting the range tomorrow and really don't want to bring a deadblow with me. It was pretty much a last minute deal. I have watched the videos on youtube, but they all show gun polishing compounds. Thanks for any info.

Ape
10-30-2010, 10:56 PM
Flitz it! ;)

D53
10-30-2010, 11:08 PM
hmm, I didnt know they carried flitz there. Pretty much just put some of that on the 12guage cotton swap and let my drill do the work for me, right? :D

Ape
10-30-2010, 11:15 PM
The Wally Worlds out here carry it. And yes, just use it like you would Bore Brite with a bronze brush and a cloth over it. :thumbsup:

rojocorsa
10-30-2010, 11:36 PM
I'm sure that mineral spirits ought to do something...

D53
10-30-2010, 11:40 PM
The Wally Worlds out here carry it. And yes, just use it like you would Bore Brite with a bronze brush and a cloth over it. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the info

I'm sure that mineral spirits ought to do something...

I honestly never even thought of that

Ape
10-30-2010, 11:42 PM
I actually use Mineral Spirits on all of my recently aquired Milsurps. But I only sok the metal parts in that and then take Flits to stick bolts or other sticky mechanical parts. ;)

sevensix2x51
10-30-2010, 11:50 PM
What can I use from Wally world to polish/buff my Mosin 91/30 to get rid of the sticky bore? I am hitting the range tomorrow and really don't want to bring a deadblow with me. It was pretty much a last minute deal. I have watched the videos on youtube, but they all show gun polishing compounds. Thanks for any info.

just slap it like it owes you money.

D53
10-31-2010, 12:17 AM
just slap it like it owes you money.

Last time I did that, I was slapped with a divorce :chris:

Toyman321
10-31-2010, 8:13 AM
may me too late but I just ran a patch every minute or so soaked in mineral spirits through mine three or four times to loosen everything up. Then hit it with a bronze brush attached to by drill. Silky smooth and no stickin' :)

Peter.Steele
10-31-2010, 8:34 AM
Best thing you can get at WalMart for a Mosin with sticky-bolt syndrome is brass cased non lacquered ammo.

rojocorsa
10-31-2010, 9:00 AM
Yeah.^^^

I've been fortunate in that I've been able to get brass cased x54R, and that my rifle was practically free of cosmo when I got it.

Peter.Steele
10-31-2010, 9:30 AM
Yeah.^^^

I've been fortunate in that I've been able to get brass cased x54R, and that my rifle was practically free of cosmo when I got it.

Cosmo doesn't really have anything to do with it.

Best data I've been able to find anywhere suggests that it's a function of chamber size plus ammunition type.

Steel cases aren't going to expand in quite the same way as brass cases will. So, if you have a looser chamber, and a casing that doesn't -quite- seal up as well, and the next round that you put in there has lacquer on it ... you have a problem.

One of my Mosins gets sticky-bolt very, very badly. Ever since I switched to using copper washed steel instead of lacquered steel, I haven't had any problems with it whatsoever.