View Full Version : Loaning rifle for a year

10-30-2010, 9:12 PM
What are the CA laws regarding loaning a rifle to a friend on a long term basis, such as a year? I'm sure this has been covered but could'nt find info on search (and a bit lazy to keep looking). :) Thanks

10-30-2010, 9:16 PM
12078(d)(1) Subdivision (d) of Section 12072 shall not apply to the infrequent loan of firearms between persons who are personally known to each other for any lawful purpose, if the loan does not exceed 30 days in duration and, when the firearm is a handgun, commencing January 1, 2003, the individual being loaned the handgun has a valid handgun safety certificate.

Mssr. Eleganté
10-31-2010, 2:33 AM
And let's not forget CPC §12078(q), which allows you to loan a long gun to a "licensed hunter" for any period of time which does not exceed the "hunting season" for which the firearm is to be used...

§ 12078(q) Subdivision (d) of Section 12072 shall not apply to the loan of a firearm that is not a handgun to a licensed hunter for use by that licensed hunter for a period of time not to exceed the duration of the hunting season for which that firearm is to be used.

So if you wanted to loan a long gun to a friend for a year, that friend would need to have a hunting license, and that friend would need to be planning to hunt one of the animals that has a year round hunting season in California. Or your friend would need to be willing to lie to the authorities and say that he had only been loaned the firearm for less than 30 days (as allowed under 12078(d)) if he ever ran into trouble.

10-31-2010, 8:47 AM
See here in the FAQ: Loaning Questions (http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/FAQ#Loaning_Questions)

Assuming that you and your friend are both adults, this might be the specific Q&A you are looking for: Can I loan a long gun to an adult? (http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/FAQ#Can_I_loan_a_long_gun_to_an_adult.3F)

10-31-2010, 7:12 PM
Thanks guys for edumacating my lazy self!