View Full Version : and my computer problems go from bad to worse

10-30-2010, 8:33 PM
so i got a virus on my main labtop a few days ago that messed with windows explorer. i finaly get it over to best buys geek squad and have them take a look at it. a couple of hours later i get a call saying i have a bad hard drive and they can relave it and reinstall windows if i want them to for a added fee. i think they are trying to hussle me because if i had a bad hard drive i would expect to see one of those blue screens or a message from windows telling me there is a major problem with my hard ware....... so now i have to pick up the labtop and find another computer place to get a second opinion :mad: any segustions on where i should go next..... located in union city and dont want to travle far
(i posted this in anger so if there is any misspelled words i dont care.)

10-30-2010, 8:34 PM
I suggest you learn to use spell check.

10-30-2010, 8:36 PM
did you not see the end of the post, I DONT CARE

10-30-2010, 8:40 PM

10-30-2010, 8:45 PM
What originally happened that made you suspect there was a virus?

10-30-2010, 8:45 PM
I'm still confuse, what's a labtop and what is relave? If labtop is a misspelling, why does it appear twice in the same post?

10-30-2010, 9:04 PM
What originally happened that made you suspect there was a virus?

rundll32 shut down and windows explorer keeps reseting.

10-30-2010, 9:49 PM
save money! format and reinstall windows yourself:) i think they're just trying to screw more money out of you

10-30-2010, 9:51 PM
Similar thing here. SHLWAPI.dll got corrupted and then urlmon.dll went bad.

I just got done partitioning a 320 gig drive and installing XP SP1.

Now I'm updating to SP3, and need to get this on our network's domain.

Next is Ms Office
Our accounting software.
Then I need to find a Gigabit Ethernet card driver, and put that card back in. Then find some drivers for the network printers.
Then Adobe PDF viewer.
Mozilla with no script
Trend Micro
Spybot S&D

Burned my Saturday. Missed the Giants game. Worked 13 hours yesterday. Going on 7 today...Oh and I don't get paid for it.

Have geek squad fix it. :D

10-30-2010, 10:45 PM
Jeeez, will you people just stop taking your stuff to Best Buy / Geek Squad ?! They charge $$$ and can't fix crap. They make their money by trying to upsell you on services.

Spent two years working for them, worst job of my entire life, and I've had some sucky jobs.

Boot into safe mode by pressing F8 when windows starts, run your anti-virus scan, most likely that will take care of your virus.

10-30-2010, 10:59 PM
Ok first of all, never take your computer to Best Buy for repair. That's like me taking a Ferrari to Pep Boys for repair.

Secondly, they are hustling you. Usually a hard drive is considered "bad" when it has actual physical damage on one of it's platters resulting in "the click of death". If your hard drive really was bad, then they wouldn't/shouldn't/couldn't be able to re-install Windows on it.

10-30-2010, 11:08 PM
Virus-If possible down load this. I had a virus on my old laptop. I had McAfee at that time, McAfee couldn't fix it, Kaspersy took care of the virus!

Matt C
10-31-2010, 12:11 AM
"geek squad" really is just untrained kids running a CD on your system, and the geeksquad CD is not hard to get online (bittorrent). Why anyone would pay them to run that crap and them upsell you on more crap is beyond me. Always backup your files externally, and when you something nasty (or every six months ideally) just reinstall, scan you saved files with a good antivirus, and start fresh. If you REALLY have a HD or even a RAM issue (possible) then you can just order one from newegg and install it yourself. I feel like a con artist charging people for that. If you can operate a firearm you should be able to do that yourself. If it's a more serious hardware issue (like the motherboard) and the laptop is out of warranty buy a new one for $450 and forget it. Or better yet, buy a desktop that can actually be repaired.

10-31-2010, 5:50 AM
i finaly get it over to best buys geek squad and have them take a look at it.

That was your first mistake, Geek squad is not a real computer repair shop. In fact they will scam you out of money. The "broken hard drive" replacement is a very common scam there. Their "techs" usually don't even know what they're doing, most of them barely have a HS diploma. You would do much better to find a tech on Craigslist.

ETA: Read all about their scams here.

Seriously, stay away from them and Best Buy at all costs.

10-31-2010, 6:04 AM
"geek squad" really is just untrained kids running a CD on your system, and the geeksquad CD is not hard to get online (bittorrent).

That's how they got most of their "tools".

Best Buy's 'Geek Squad' Accused Of Software Piracy
A court order restraining the retailer's use of a system recovery tool was issued Wednesday by a U.S. District Court judge. The order stems from a copyright infringement lawsuit filed by Winternals Software LP, maker of ERD Commander 2005.

By Laurie Sullivan , TechWeb
April 13, 2006 03:33 PM

Best Buy's aggressively promoted, 24-hour computer support task force Geek Squad has been served with a temporary restraining order barring it from using a popular brand of system restore software, which Best Buy is accused of pirating.

The court order, issued Wednesday by U.S. District Court Judge Sam Sparks in Austin, Texas, stems from a copyright infringement lawsuit filed by Winternals Software LP, makers of ERD Commander 2005, a repair tool that boots a dead computer for system recovery.

The Winternals lawsuit accuses Best Buy – the nation's largest consumer electronics retail chain -- and its subsidiary Geek Squad Inc. of copyright infringement and misuse of trade secrets. Essentially, it alleges that Best Buy has been using unlicensed versions of the software. A hearing has been set for May 12 in Austin.

The federal judge also gave Best Buy 20 days to hand over all Winternals software copies, as well as identify the employees who used the programs, according to the restraining order.

Through a spokesman, Best Buy insisted the company is a proponent of licensed software and takes measures to safeguard against software copyright infringement and software piracy.

"We are aware of the lawsuit filed by Winternals Software and take this action very seriously," Best Buy spokesman Jay Musolf said Thursday. He declined to comment further on the pending litigation.

Winternals and Best Buy began negotiating an agreement last fall to trial the software. The electronics retail chain broke off negotiations in February because it was no longer interested in a commercial license that Winternals' attorney David Weaver at Vinson & Elkins LLP said costs $1,200 each.

In a statement, Winternals said the license being negotiated was valued at more than several million dollars. The lawsuit claims that Geek Squad employees continued to use Winternals’ software in violation of the U.S. Copyright Act.

Intellectual property attorney and partner at Banner & Witcoff Ltd. Ross Dannenberg said large technology companies typically don't allow "this type of infringement to happen." Dannenberg, also an adjunct professor at George Mason University School of Law, said "The infringement must be fairly substantial for Winternals to go through litigation."

10-31-2010, 7:00 AM
rundll32 shut down and windows explorer keeps reseting.

Were you able to do restart in safe mode and do a system restore from a point before rundll32 was corrupted?

11-01-2010, 12:24 AM
I'm in the fremont area if you need some help

11-02-2010, 10:18 AM
download combofix.exe to memory card/stick and change name to something like clickme.bat, turn off internet, turn off anti virus, start computer in safe mode with networking. locate the renamed combofix, run. at the end, do not let it restore. once done, run malwarebytes to make sure all is good. restart computer normally with internet and antivirus.

I just spent a week on my own pc, the above worked for me. Also, you can check www.bleepingcomputer.com for waaaay better free help.

11-02-2010, 10:21 AM
Just call Microsoft 24/7. They'll fix it immediately for free.

11-02-2010, 10:24 AM
Just call Microsoft 24/7. They'll fix it immediately for free.

orly? how?

11-02-2010, 10:27 AM
combo fix worked for me as well

11-02-2010, 10:47 AM
When your computer started acting up you definitely had a problem, when you took it to Geek Squad it went from being a problem to being a lost cause. My suggestion is to find a local computer repair shop that is not associated with a Big Box Store.

As for your current predicament, no idea, now that Geek Squad has gotten their hands on it I'd say try to get your data but the rest is scrap.

11-02-2010, 3:15 PM
combo fix worked for me on my wife's computer, last month.

didn't work on a client's computer last week, finally ended up doing a fresh install.

11-05-2010, 9:58 AM
I work in pleasanton as an IS engineer and live in concord, if you are ever by, hit me up and ill check it out for you. I hate hearing about how people get ripped of my tweeksquad....or anyone for that matter.

Ill PM you my email addy.

11-05-2010, 10:25 AM
After you get this sorted out, do system image backups to an external drive on a regular basis. This is in addition to your regular data backups. HD storage is dirt cheap now.

If you have Windows 7, it already has an ok system imaging backup facility. I wouldn't even bother with trying to clean an infected machine, you'll never know what got left behind.... just restore to the last clean image backup.