PDA

View Full Version : Red dot scope

R8DRFAN
10-30-2010, 8:25 PM
I just put my new Ca legal AR together. I want to put a red dot scope on my flat top receiver! I've never used a red dot scope! How do you sight one in? Do I need a riser mount? so its above my a2 front sight?? I'm a noob please help!! :o

C_1
10-30-2010, 8:35 PM
Wow.. you have a lot of reading to do. Google is your friend :)

But yes, most red dots need a riser, so you can see above the front sight post. And adjustments are made with the dials. Shoot til the dot is where the bullet lands on paper.

The best red dots are Aimpoint and EOTech. Expensive but they are durable. There are lots of choices out there. Depends on how much you want to spend. If you're looking for something inexpensive, Primary Arms makes good clones, Bushnell and Burris are some others to consider.

Hope this helps a lil bit. Sorry if it doesnt.

tomd1584
10-30-2010, 8:35 PM
a red dot is not a scope, as it doesnt have any magnification.

you usually use a mount that give absolute co-witness or lower 1/3 cowitness. you sight it in the same way you sight in your irons. up/down, left/right until it is at the same place your bullets go, at a specific distance.

MaHoTex
10-30-2010, 8:37 PM
I just put my new Ca legal AR together. I want to put a red dot scope on my flat top receiver! I've never used a red dot scope! How do you sight one in? Do I need a riser mount? so its above my a2 front sight?? I'm a noob please help!! :o

To get it really close you can remove the upper and BCG, look through the bolt/barrel at a spot on a distant wall/fence and adjust the reddot for that some point. That will get with within inches on the paper.

Another option is to get a laser boresight. The laser will put a dot on a wall up to 100 yards away, then adjust the reddot to hit the same point. That is what I do. Pretty accurate that way. I can get it within about 3 inches at 50 yards before even hitting the range. I use a fence about 100 feet away when I adjust it.

Oh.. and I have no front sight on the rifle I am talking about so I have no riser. I think, depending upon the red dot you get will also determine the amount of riser you will need to cowitness.

R8DRFAN
10-30-2010, 9:01 PM
Ok,thanks for the replies..:)