PDA

View Full Version : New to Calguns and California- but not to guns.

Dirmer3
10-30-2010, 9:09 PM
Hello!

I just thought I'd take the time to introduce myself after years of quietly reading.

I moved to northern California (Sonoma County) from Mesa, Arizona about two years ago. I lived in Arizona my entire life (until age 20) and grew up around guns there- I just couldn't take the heat and I have as much of a passion for the ocean as I do firearms and you just don't have much ocean in Arizona.

I made sure to do a lot of research before I moved- mainly on this forum. I knew the laws were different and more strict in California, but I had no idea what I was getting into! I sold my other guns and simply brought my C&R collection to be safe- A .303 Lee Enfield, a Mosin Nagant, and a VZ24 (I know, nothing too impressive.)

Coming to California was a huge culture shock, firearms wise, as you can imagine. I went from being in a state where people are completely comfortable with others around them being armed to a state where people freak out at the sight of a gun. I've been so mind boggled by all the complex laws here I haven't been out shooting even once since I moved! Where can I go? What can I shoot? Who can I bring? I use to be a 15 minute drive to my shooting spot in the desert and now I haven't a clue where it's acceptable to shoot. I discovered later BLM land is where it's at- but where the hell is the BLM land near me? Considering I use to go out shooting at least every other weekend in Arizona, I've been having withdraws. For the life of me, I can't find a Californian that likes to go out shooting anymore! Everyone I talk to seems to act like going out shooting here is more hassle than fun and no one can agree where it's still okay to shoot.

Also, it was quite depressing to learn that living in Sonoma County makes it next to impossible to acquire a concealed carry permit (which is probably the only way I'd want to carry here considering how people react to open carry.) Especially after learning AZ just passed legislature that would allow me to carry a pistol concealed WITHOUT any sort of permit at all. I looked into LUCC but it seems to be a gamble. If I ever have any contact with the police and they search me for some reason, I'm probably spending the night in jail. However, I hear there is something being done to improve that situation which gives me hope.

When living in Arizona, I was incredibly excited to turn 21 and purchase a pistol (not a big drinker, so I was more excited about the pistol.) However, since I moved to California before I turned 21, I still haven't purchased one. I keep having difficulty deciding what to get now and dreading the wait. I can't stand paying for something and not leaving the store with it. I seem to be much more concerned about what caliber to get (because of the limitation on my clip size) and obsessed with how limited my selection seems to be compared to the gun shops in my home town. Not only that, but paranoid out of my mind about being locked up for some silly CA law I or a police officer misinterpreted. I've never been fearful of being convicted of a gun crime before- I felt like the law and its enforcement was very straight forward in Arizona. I'm sure I'll get comfortable eventually, but for now my guns haven't seen daylight in years.

I thought about asking my father to pass down his Glock 19 to me, but since he's in Arizona and there is so much red tape regarding transferring it across state lines I wonder if I would be better off just asking him for cash as a present to buy one for myself- although it wouldn't carry the same sentimental value to me and it's so much less personal to give cash as a gift.

I use to purchase all my ammo online, too. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I can do that out here still (as of now, anyway) right?

I'd really like to help change the laws around here in any way I can. if anyone can point me in the right direction that would be incredible.

Anyway, I appreciate it if you bothered to read my whole spiel and I really appreciate this board being here. I can't imagine what sort of trouble I would have got myself into had I not been able to answer my questions here. Any tips, advice, greetings, suggestions, criticisms, help, what have you would also be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again for everything Calguns!

Wicked Pete
10-31-2010, 3:34 AM
Welcome, I read your spiel. I am sure with reading in the forums you will gain the information that you need.

I lived in PHX for a time, my mom (retired) lives in Apache Junction. Yes, CA is very different.

Sonoma is a nice area, one thing about CA that I like: the weather. Good Luck on the forums.

negolien
10-31-2010, 4:23 AM
yes, for now ammo online is ok. My dad lived in copperopolis if that's in the same neighborhood.

Dirmer3
10-31-2010, 10:04 AM
Thanks for the replies! Apache Junction is only a few miles away from where I lived. I've heard of Copperopolis but never actually been there. Not exactly in my neighborhood but still within a couple hours drive.

Good to know Ammo purchases online are still legal.

shtr45acp
10-31-2010, 3:17 PM
Join CRPA....Tell em' I sent ya! (CRPA Lifer)

bjl333
10-31-2010, 3:46 PM
Welcome to Calguns !!!

Dirmer3
10-31-2010, 3:54 PM
Join CRPA....Tell em' I sent ya! (CRPA Lifer)

Joined online not too long ago.

BayAreaShooter
10-31-2010, 3:59 PM
Welcome to the forum. Yes it is an awakening experience moving from AZ to CA. You get to see first hand just how messed up things are around here. Ammo is still legal to buy online, but probably not for long. Find a reputable shooting range around your area and become a regular. I know ranges are much different than the great outdoors but you can probably find one close by. Once again welcome to the forum.

bsg
10-31-2010, 7:40 PM
welcome to the forum.

Dirmer3
10-31-2010, 9:51 PM
Does anyone shoot outdoors not at a range out here?

glockman19
10-31-2010, 10:28 PM
Welcome to Cal Guns. Good people and Great informaton.

zod
11-01-2010, 4:46 PM
Welcome aboard. Enjoy.

SoCal Bob
11-01-2010, 8:59 PM
Welcome to Calguns, stick around long enough and after a few more court cases you might be able to have the Ocean and guns.

Dirmer3
11-04-2010, 4:43 PM
Welcome to Calguns, stick around long enough and after a few more court cases you might be able to have the ocean and guns.

I really like the sound of that!

rod
11-22-2010, 7:59 AM
Welcome to the forum

dellgsg5
11-22-2010, 10:49 AM
Welcome to Calguns!

Colt-45
11-22-2010, 7:00 PM
Welcome to the forums!

DeanW66
11-24-2010, 10:49 AM
Nice intro, welcome aboard (both CG and Calif). Many of your questions are common, have a fun look around.

joshtheawesome
11-24-2010, 9:05 PM
Welcome to beautiful Sonoma County :rolleyes:

There's a range out in the boonies of Petaluma (in fact, it might technically be in Marin County) that is the only place I know of to shoot. It cost's 10 bucks and it's got a pistol area, and rifle targets at 50, 100, 200, and 300 yards. No gun rentals or anything like that. It's a little podunk line, but damn do I love that place.Circle S Ranch (http://www.sonomashooting.org/circles.html)

The CCW permits are hard to come by, the Sheriff wasn't very fond of handing them out. I don't know who won the past election, but I can check around and see if he's worthwhile. Last I heard, there was less than 100 through out the entire county.

Let me know if you've got any questions about Sonoma County, even if they aren't related to guns. But if you've been here for two years already, you've probably got it figured out.

-Josh