View Full Version : Assault weapon and non assault weapon address change?

10-30-2010, 3:40 PM
I just moved - anyone know where to find the paperwork for assault weapon and non-assault weapon change of address? I e-mailed the DOJ but no response.


10-30-2010, 3:47 PM
IIRC, it is tied to your CA ID/DL and any address changes with DMV would be good enough. THere is no PC that I am aware of that requires you to inform CADOJ of an address change.

10-30-2010, 3:50 PM
1.) If you have ordinary (i.e, non AW guns) you don't need to file
any address changes. Your DL change of addr. will be sufficient.

2.) There is also no legal requirement to change your address for AW
registration. It may be a good thing, however, so you can ensure
there's some activity for the record so it doesn't somehow 'disappear'
in the DOJ computer pit. I informed DOJ Firearms Permit Unit (for AWs)
of my address change when I moved. They'll send you a new AW reg
listing of all your reg'd AWs.

11-03-2010, 10:29 PM
Thanks!! :cheers2:

11-04-2010, 2:21 PM
I have a followup on this one. What happens if you move out of state? I have a couple of RAWs in my name, and it appears that I'll be moving to Texas sometime soon.(pending job offer) I don't want to let you guys down and get a kitten killed by decreasing the number of RAWs in California, but I also don't really like the idea of leaving them behind, either. Can I maintain registry (in case I have to move back for whatever reason) while having residency in another state?

11-04-2010, 2:23 PM
you just take them with you and don't worry about the registry. They'll still be registered to you if/when you move back/visit. Whether or not the RAWs are physically in CA is not the issue, it is how many RAWs are on the books.