PDA

View Full Version : When the SHTF...is it safe to say.....

kAnJii
10-30-2010, 2:56 PM
that a standard AR such as a complete Stag or other ARs out there will pass in flying colors as long as you keep it clean and maintained in propert working order? Or are there brands you should just stay away? You have top tiers, mid tiers, etc...but they'll all protect and shoot when you pull the trigger, right?

Noobert
10-30-2010, 3:00 PM
That question can't be answered with 100% certainty until the SHTF, but it is most likely that your Stag/etc. will work if you shoot it and maintain it. Of course, if it's prone to jamming on the range, by Murphy's law it will probably fail when the SHTF.

Cyc Wid It
10-30-2010, 3:02 PM
In theory, yes I would hope so. I'm not sure you can maintain theoretical conditions if SHTF (regular cleaning, good ammo, etc.).

The only brand I've ever really heard people say to stay away from is Hesse/Vulcan. All of the other ones are just a matter of your budget/requirements.

richzmn
10-30-2010, 3:23 PM
AK is required for this scenario!

sevensix2x51
10-30-2010, 3:31 PM
just get two of every weapon. that way when one breaks, you can use the other. and when the other one breaks, you can use your fallout repair skill to build a frankengun out of them both, and increase your weapon's condition and DAM.

Ishoot
10-30-2010, 3:33 PM
just get two of every weapon. that way when one breaks, you can use the other. and when the other one breaks, you can use your fallout repair skill to build a frankengun out of them both, and increase your weapon's condition and DAM.

Good advice. :) now to go convince my wife it's a necessity.

PyroFox79
10-30-2010, 3:33 PM

Or one can just buy spare parts like bcgs or other parts that wear out alot.

sevensix2x51
10-30-2010, 3:35 PM
Or one can just buy spare parts like bcgs or other parts that wear out alot.

but that method only works if you have no sense of humor. :p

Kerplow
10-30-2010, 3:42 PM
all i can say is my AR has been pretty reliable. 2 ftfeeds the first time i shot it and flawless ever since about 500 rds later. of course, this is under ideal conditions - range shootings with cleanings in between. who knows if they function with zombie guts all up inside yo gat. :p

UserM4
10-30-2010, 3:48 PM
Good ammo
Good mags
Lube
A whole lot of training
And an adult diaper for the inevitable.

sevensix2x51
10-30-2010, 3:54 PM
And an adult diaper for the inevitable.

when SHYP? (your pants?)

855R
10-30-2010, 4:03 PM
I have a stag 2T thats shoots great and never had a problem not related to ammo. In the case of a SHTF event and my rifle goes down for an extended period, the mini 30 comes out to play and with a 7.62X39 it does play to keep.

U5512
10-30-2010, 4:12 PM

Amen....:D

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
http://i884.photobucket.com/albums/ac47/U5512/AR15/Picture1259.jpg

luckystrike
10-30-2010, 4:18 PM

depends on the repair skill, and if he has the companion perk they wont degrade as fast.:p

how well your weapon works in a SHTF scenario depends on how you treat it rightnow today. just keeping it cleaned, oiled and protected from the elements is a good start.

sevensix2x51
10-30-2010, 4:33 PM
Amen....:D

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

"that's what im talking about!"

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=73730&stc=1&d=1288481584

(standing on a chair using my camera for the photo, sorry about the blur, lucky not to have broken my neck.)

dmcag69
10-30-2010, 4:39 PM
In most shtf/ disaster/ end of the world movies, the most common weapons are revolvers, shotguns and bolt action hunting rifles.

Grumpyoldretiredcop
10-30-2010, 4:40 PM
Take your rifle to any of the various intensive rifle/carbine courses out there. You'll have a pretty good idea how it will perform, how other makes/models perform, and what parts you can expect to replace with hard use. Besides, it'll be fun, you'll burn up a lot of ammo and sleep really well when you get home. :D

akjunkie
10-30-2010, 4:44 PM
Let's put it like this. Decades after Apocalypse, U most likely wont have access to a proper cleaning kit anymore. So most likely your AR will Jam.

So have an AK and/or Bolt action rifle to your arsenal.

metalstorm999
10-30-2010, 5:15 PM

amen brother.you can throw anything down a AK's throat and it will still fire.

jumpthestack
10-30-2010, 5:33 PM
Check out the M4 comparison chart.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pwswheghNQsEuEhjFwPrgTA&single=true&gid=5&output=html

The mid range ones will mostly work ok, but there is a reason that the higher end ones cost more.

sevensix2x51
10-30-2010, 5:47 PM

yeah, cuz an ak47 has never broken before... yall crack me up.
<99% chance of a dupe, inbound.> NSFW-f bombs, and whatnot.
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=b9c_1201440552

Juice5610
10-30-2010, 5:56 PM

This man speaks the truth

mike_the_wino
10-30-2010, 6:11 PM
This man is wise beyond measure.

I have me a 'plastic' gun but I am going for my AKs before I pull that bad boy out. When I get through the 1,200 rounds of 7.62 then I switch to .223.

Maddog5150
10-30-2010, 6:19 PM

HAHAHAHAHAHA
So awesome. But with some duct tape, super glue, spare electronics, scrap metal and a few wrenches and you can make a weapon repair kit anyways.

luckystrike
10-30-2010, 6:29 PM

crap ammo. I had a PSL do exactly that to me, bent the dust cover back to where it should be and kept on shooting.

tiger222
10-30-2010, 7:02 PM
I'd take a SIG556 or Daewoo DR200 over an AK anyday ~ AK reliability in a more competant package. And they have great iron sights.

C_1
10-30-2010, 7:12 PM
I dont think it has to be top tier, mid grade is fine, but you get what you pay for, and theres a reason why certain things cost more. Its up to you to decide where the price, and point of diminishing return, is for you.

I know that a Silly Hypothetical Tactical Situation is very unlikely, but I like knowing that my guns will probably hold up. Arm yourself and your family, with couple of AKs and ARs, and you should be good.

sevensix2x51
10-30-2010, 7:16 PM

crap ammo. I had a PSL do exactly that to me, bent the dust cover back to where it should be and kept on shooting.

so you would agree with me then? im just saying, you cant just throw anything down a AK's throat
or it might explode, right? just saying... zombies and ak47s must be mutually inclusive, i guess. thats fine, ill take care of the red chinese army with my ar and hk clones....

at least my mini-14s are real....:D

MrPlink
10-30-2010, 10:25 PM

ah crap, Im already at lever 30 and I only have 27 points in repair, Im gonna need 10 ARs to make this work!!!! ;)

but yeah, just get an AK

Boots
10-30-2010, 10:33 PM

+1 Agree wholeheartedly

Code7inOaktown
10-30-2010, 10:36 PM

I think you really mean get a good quality AK don't you? A POS AK that had issues in good times will be no better when SHTF or better than a good AR.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Speedpower
10-30-2010, 10:47 PM
I'd take a SIG556 or Daewoo DR200 over an AK anyday ~ AK reliability in a more competant package. And they have great iron sights.

+1 on the SIG556 ;)

kAnJii
10-30-2010, 11:27 PM
+1 on the SIG556 ;)

What's the difference between the 556 and the new SIG rifle..514?? sorry, can't remember the number.

Having a bolt action sounds kinda fun...any suggestions? using .223 ammo please.

IsaacGlass
10-30-2010, 11:40 PM
What's the difference between the 556 and the new SIG rifle..514?? sorry, can't remember the number.

Having a bolt action sounds kinda fun...any suggestions? using .223 ammo please.

:xeno:

http://www.google.com/cse?cx=002942649079446186749%3Alvhcymzonc4&ie=UTF-8&q=SIG556+vs+SIG516&sa=Search&siteurl=www.calguns.net%2Fcalgunforum%2Fforumdispl ay.php%3Ff%3D67

EDIT: I wonder what next week SHTF question will be??

luckystrike
10-30-2010, 11:56 PM
so you would agree with me then? im just saying, you cant just
or it might explode, right? just saying... zombies and ak47s must be mutually inclusive, i guess. thats fine, ill take care of the red chinese army with my ar and hk clones....

at least my mini-14s are real....:D

ill agree to a point, ARs & AKs both have their highlights and they both have their lowpoints. ARvsAK, 9mmvs.45, DIvspiston, the battle rages on.

pyro3k2
10-30-2010, 11:58 PM
I have a prediction that this is going to go on for another 8-9 pages and turn into a AR vs Ak thread....again.

Saigon1965
10-31-2010, 12:04 AM
On a bolt - You want to go big -

sevensix2x51
10-31-2010, 12:19 AM
ill agree to a point, ARs & AKs both have their highlights and they both have their lowpoints. ARvsAK, 9mmvs.45, DIvspiston, the battle rages on.

my response was to the quoted text. and your response was in response to my response to said quoted text. there is no "to a point" about it. that is all i was getting at originally. kids today, just hear things on them internets and think that jesus wrote a blog. there is no gospel on the interwebs, only hearsay and .pron, not necessarily in that order. you cant throw anything into an ak and shoot it, just like you cant drink any clear fluid that comes in a glass jar. its not about an x v. y debate, just about people being silly behind a keyboard. that is all.

ps- just having some fun. :) too much to drink last night.

r6raff
10-31-2010, 8:42 AM
I think it's funny that people think you need some hardcore cleaning kit to clean an AR or it will jam in 5 rounds. LOL. If SHTF I could maintain my weapon with motor oil, paint thinner and whatever material I have that's cloth. Yea it's not the easiest but you can. Chances are, I will be more conscious of my weapons and their cleanliness, cleaning them every chance I got... What else would you be doing... I have a field repair kit ad a spare lpk for each rifle and I plan on buying a few Spare BCM bcgs to have on hand. Will SHTF? Nope, but I'd rather be prepared:43:

themailman
10-31-2010, 9:15 AM

Lol, people with little firearms experience make such funny claims.

I really hope the SHTF soon, these threads are making Calguns quite dreary.

Can we get a seperate SHTF FORUM so we can keep this **** of of CENTERFIRE RIFLE?

Average Joe American
10-31-2010, 11:41 AM
Short answer is yes, a Stag or M&P15 or any other mid tier rifle will hold up to sitting around in the dark when the power goes out. Or strapped to your back as you shelter in place in your home. SHTF in reality doesnt mean your going to be involved in a shootout Fallujah style until your barrel melts.

Trust me, coming from a guy who has lived through a real SHTF situation, your brain, urban survival training and preparedness is far more valuable then an expensive top tier mil-spec gun. A plain jane pump shotgun can fulfill your needs for short range threats, 100 yard threats and group threats. But the capacity of ammo, faster reloads and longer range of an AR15 would still be a better choice in my opinion.

My Stag M8 has passed the 1000 round mark with no malfunctions and to me thats more than enough to be comfortable using it as my go to gun if SHTF?

elSquid
10-31-2010, 11:56 AM
In most shtf/ disaster/ end of the world movies, the most common weapons are revolvers, shotguns and bolt action hunting rifles.

I bought an axe, football shoulder pads, and orange hair dye for my post-SHTF Mohawk. All that's left for me to do is to purchase one of those little pistol sized crossbows.

-- Michael

agent.5
10-31-2010, 12:19 PM
I bought an axe, football shoulder pads, and orange hair dye for my post-SHTF Mohawk. All that's left for me to do is to purchase one of those little pistol sized crossbows.

-- Michael

A crossbow takes up too much space and too much time to reload for follow-up shot. Take archery lessons instead. When SHTF, you want to rely on bow and arrow, instead of a rifle that will malfunction.

elSquid
10-31-2010, 12:28 PM
A crossbow takes up too much space and too much time to reload for follow-up shot. Take archery lessons instead. When SHTF, you want to rely on bow and arrow, instead of a rifle that will malfunction.

I need the mini-crossbow because it's basically impossible to use a traditional bow one-handed whilst riding a ratty 1980s Kawasaki motorcycle.

-- Michael

agent.5
10-31-2010, 12:30 PM
I need the mini-crossbow because it's basically impossible to use a traditional bow one-handed whilst riding a ratty 1980s Kawasaki motorcycle.

-- Michael

OK. But you only have one shot.

themailman
10-31-2010, 12:32 PM

-- Michael

I can see youve done your research. Bravo my friend. Ive attached a loud speaker to a beat up old toyota truck so I can blast non sensical propaganda as drive wildly down the broken asphalt road, dodging shells of what used to be cars. To New Vegas we shall go.

zfields
10-31-2010, 12:50 PM
Agent 5 has either no sence of humor, or no grasp of 80 post apocolyptic movies.

Exile Machine
10-31-2010, 1:03 PM
The M1 Garand is my rifle of choice for keeping Zombies the hell offa' my lawn. Way the hell offa'.

-Mark

MrPlink
10-31-2010, 1:47 PM
^ M1 Garand IS in new vegas, so you are gtg. :)

agent.5
10-31-2010, 2:07 PM
Agent 5 has either no sence of humor, or no grasp of 80 post apocolyptic movies.

I re-imagine the SHTF scenario when everyone runs out of ammos and/or gun cleaners. Robin Hood will be king again

elSquid
10-31-2010, 2:09 PM
OK. But you only have one shot.

Good point - maybe I should buy a boomerang instead. :confused:

-- Michael

technique
10-31-2010, 2:12 PM
Good point - maybe I should buy a boomerang instead. :confused:

-- Michael

Just be sure to buy a "tactical" boomerang.

MrPlink
10-31-2010, 2:19 PM
Put a vfg on your boomerang, maybe an aimpoint too.

17+1
10-31-2010, 2:44 PM
that a standard AR such as a complete Stag or other ARs out there will pass in flying colors as long as you keep it clean and maintained in propert working order? Or are there brands you should just stay away? You have top tiers, mid tiers, etc...but they'll all protect and shoot when you pull the trigger, right?

You'll want something that hits harder than a 223.

An M1A, FAL, Kalashnikov etc. will penetrate barriers(cars, walls, bricks) being used as cover much better and will require less maintenance.

sevensix2x51
10-31-2010, 3:25 PM
^ M1 Garand IS in new vegas, so you are gtg. :)

whares??? i have yet to see one, i think youre putting one over on us.... :confused:

4thSBCT
10-31-2010, 3:31 PM

Can we get a seperate SHTF FORUM so we can keep this **** of of CENTERFIRE RIFLE?

yet you cant help but post in them

MrPlink
10-31-2010, 4:46 PM
Sevensix2x51,
Its a unique weapon (there is only one) I'm not sure where you get it, but my roomie found it.

chesterthehero
10-31-2010, 5:05 PM
my stag and my jd go bang every time.. my Tula ammo feeds everytime out of my Cproduct mags...

shtf im ok with what ive got.. that said.. my glock is there to keep watch over it all because i know that no matter what it will always go bang

JJ1911
10-31-2010, 5:12 PM
I'm considering a Fail Zero Bolt Carrier Group. They're supposed to run with no lubrication. Sounds pretty good for a SHTF scenario with an AR.

Maddog5150
10-31-2010, 5:21 PM
whares??? i have yet to see one, i think youre putting one over on us.... :confused:

Considering I have the special edition guide. I looked over all weapons and no garand. There was one in BOS strategy game

sevensix2x51
10-31-2010, 5:33 PM
Considering I have the special edition guide. I looked over all weapons and no garand. There was one in BOS strategy game

found it. its called "this machine," you get it from contreras in camp mccarran. i havent gotten it in the game, just found it on the internet.. oh boy, it shall soon be mine!

javalos
10-31-2010, 5:56 PM
The weak link of most commercial and military AR's is the magazine. Keep your AR clean and it will do what you want it to do. Ammunition is another issue. I've heard some guys say that their AR will just about digest anything they feed through it and I've personally seen guy's extractors bite it shooting Wolf or steel cased ammunition. Some manufacturers rifle or uppers come with warnings that shooting certain brands of ammo voids the warranty, apparently those that make them recommend you shouldn't shoot certain brands of ammo through it. Its wise counsel that you follow their warning, not because you will void the warranty, but because you might damage something and you don't want that to happen during a SHTF scenario. My recommendation if you want to prepare just in case the SHTF is to have have extra extractors on hand, as well as springs. Made sure the gas key on the bolt is properly staked. Last but not least, test all magazines, marked those that don't give you feeding issues as SHTF magazines.

Dr.Mauser
10-31-2010, 6:58 PM
I'm sticking with the FAL, my Grandfathers K98, an AK, Garand, and an M1 Carbine for the misses

Dhena81
10-31-2010, 7:31 PM
I think its hilarious when an Ak or Glock jam up its ammo related and when an AR or 1911 jam up its because its not taken care of enough and/or can't handle the conditions LOL.

chsk9
10-31-2010, 9:17 PM
You need to state what kind of 'S' is hitting the fan. I always turn off my fan before throwing 'S', but in the event you haven't- Use whatever you have and when the time comes you will find all kinds of weapons laying around!

Maddog5150
10-31-2010, 10:56 PM
found it. its called "this machine," you get it from contreras in camp mccarran. i havent gotten it in the game, just found it on the internet.. oh boy, it shall soon be mine!

Awesome! I'll get it. Guess it sucks that the guide doesnt show much pictures. I got "that gun" which is the pistol from blade runner. Why the hell does the service rifle and marksman carbine take different ammo from the assault carbine when they are the same weapon?

luckystrike
10-31-2010, 11:49 PM
Awesome! I'll get it. Guess it sucks that the guide doesnt show much pictures. I got "that gun" which is the pistol from blade runner. Why the hell does the service rifle and marksman carbine take different ammo from the assault carbine when they are the same weapon?

well thats because the service rifle is a 5.56 and the marksman/assault carbine are 5mm :p

supermario
11-01-2010, 12:13 AM
"that's what im talking about!"

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=73730&stc=1&d=1288481584

(standing on a chair using my camera for the photo, sorry about the blur, lucky not to have broken my neck.)

Nice featureless rifles. You need some Saigas in there too:D
Saigas are featureless right out of the box;)

Mr_Monkeywrench
11-01-2010, 12:18 AM

Agreed!!:D

Mr_Monkeywrench
11-01-2010, 12:20 AM

-- Michael

Dont Forget the Dune buggy and the black spikes!!

sevensix2x51
11-01-2010, 10:25 AM

Everybody knows that before the bombs fell, the us military rechambered the assault carbine to match the commonly accepted minigun as a support weapon, due to challenges in logistics made apparent in the invasion of anchorage. The older service rifles didn't get into that, due to their primary role as a training rifle. The marksman carbine kept the 556 due to the favorable ballistics of the cartridge in its sharpshooter loads, forgoing the weapons ammo interchangeability for a better ballistic coefficient.

You buying any of this? :D

evidens83
11-01-2010, 10:39 AM
When SHTF I would rather have any firearm than no firearm. With that said I'll take a Hi Point 9mm and DTI AR15 over a bat anyday of the week ;)

Tankhatch
11-01-2010, 11:56 AM
Quad 50 and 308 caliber mini-gun, mounted in a 5 ton capacity gun truck w/ammo. :)

BoonieGhost
11-01-2010, 2:13 PM

+100!!!

chsk9
11-01-2010, 2:36 PM

Are you kidding? This place would dry up without the SHTF threads! :rolleyes:

captbilly
11-01-2010, 3:12 PM
The best way for an individual to improve his/her chances of a rifle being reliable when they need it is to thoroughly test it beforehand. There is a curve that generally defines the reliability vs testing of any device. What happens is that as you test and observe that the device is functioning reliably (or repair it if it isn't reliable) then the reliability improves, until you reach the point where you are significantly wearing out the device. In the case of one's AR I would say that it will take many thousands to rounds to significantly wear the parts. The barrel will shoot accurately for thousands of rounds and reliably for tens of thousands (with reduced accuracy). Some people suggest the bolt can crack after only a thousand or so rounds but I have seen no real evidence that this is true.

1911ZENSHOOTER
11-14-2010, 4:31 PM

i'm guessing the recoil spring jumped the track and kicked the cover to high jesus. the receiver cover looked intact..
any other suggestions??

Ak707
11-14-2010, 5:37 PM
lets just hope we dont have to deal with vampires, unless you know of any wooden tipped bullets..lol

agent.5
11-14-2010, 5:38 PM
lets just hope we dont have to deal with vampires, unless you know of any wooden tipped bullets..lol

You need a bow and arrow set.

johnnybx3
11-14-2010, 5:45 PM
with 2 bcm uppers you should be safe.For sure nice rifles.

MaceWindu
11-14-2010, 5:51 PM
When the SHTF...is it safe to say.....

Question: How much "SHTF" training have you had? All the toys in the world won't help if you have not had formal training. I see these "SHTF" threads all the time, but few actually refer back to the amount of training the individual has had.

Please elaborate.

MW

bombadillo
11-14-2010, 5:59 PM
Everyone and their AK crap...

Psshhh, get an SKS :cool:

stag6.8
11-14-2010, 8:56 PM
You'll want something that hits harder than a 223 in an urban combat situation.

An M1A, FAL, Kalashnikov etc. will penetrate barriers(cars, walls, bricks) being used as cover much better and will require less maintenance.

that is the reason why i run a 6.8...plus in the aftermath .....you can hunt with it.:D

ZX-10R
11-14-2010, 8:58 PM
Definitely have an AR but make sure someone is carrying an AK pattern as well.

Code7inOaktown
11-14-2010, 9:23 PM
You'll want something that hits harder than a 223 in an urban combat situation.

Really? Doesn't it depend on what kind S is hitting what kind of F?

Sure, if you're bunkered in, heavy rounds are OK, but what if you are mobile? Do you think you can really hump 400 30-06 rounds on you along with your other survival gear? The same goes for any 7.62. Too heavy. I think 7.62 x51 weighs three times what 5.56 weighs. So if you are on foot, you want something as light as possible because your chances of coming across any additional ammunition is likely impossible.

For the ultimate in Zombie apocalypse loads, my money on is on the .22 LR and 10-22. You can realistically carry several thousand rounds of ammunition. A 10-22 that makes a bang when you squeeze the trigger is worth about 1000x the click of an M1A or AK in my opinion.

Anchors
11-14-2010, 9:27 PM
I mean...our military uses AR15 variants. If it's good enough for them, it'll work for you!

pyro3k2
11-14-2010, 9:36 PM
I mean...our military uses AR15 variants. If it's good enough for them, it'll work for you!

not to call you on a technicallity but our military uses M16's and their varients. But since that technicallity is full auto I kinda have to sorry.

incredablehefey
11-14-2010, 9:49 PM
i dont think wooden arrows will work with modern compound bows, now im going to have to look up load data on 12 gauge wood slugs.

Dave A
11-14-2010, 10:08 PM
You might want to think about where you would likely be when the SHTF. If you are at work, the AR, etc might be kind of hard to lay your hands on. Seems like a lot of people think there would be ample warning that things were deteriorating and that may not be the case.

Is your workplace AR friendly? :rolleyes:

There are some forums that consider any AR that is not built to the highest standards an unreliable weapon and not one that should be trusted. There is merit to this concept, but what are the chances that you will have the opportunity to fire 1,000 rounds at the bad guys. Remember, they will very likely be shooting back.

biker777
11-14-2010, 10:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimalK http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?p=14701649#post14701649)
The AR is like a prom queen.
The AK is like a biker chick.
Treat each accordingly.

^^^^ this is too true

keson
11-14-2010, 11:26 PM
lol this thread cracks me up

captbilly
11-14-2010, 11:57 PM
I honestly do not know if one brand of AR is really more reliable than another. For the most part the components of these rifles are not made by the company selling the complete rifle. They buy barrels one place, springs from another, bolts from a third, bolt carriers from another, and so on. Some of the gun manufacturers make some of the parts themselves, for example, I think that Rock River makes (or has made for them) the Rock River Match trigger, but none of them make everything. Most AR manufacturers make only a few of their own parts and some don't make anything themselves. Even the receivers with a certain manufacturer name, are actually made under contract by someone else, who just puts the manufacturers name and logo on the same receiver that they make for a bunch of other companies.

It is almost certainly true that some companies have better quality control, and some use certain higher quality components on some of their rifles. Some AR-s come from the factory with pretty obviously better finish (polished barrels, bolts receivers, etc.) and some surely take more care in ensuring that everything works as it should. But at the end of the day none of this either ensures that a particular gun from a high end manufacturer is going to be more reliable than a gun from another lower end manufacturer. The only positive way of ensuring that your gun is going to work when you need it to is to test it. The more you test it (up to the point of wearing it out) the more certain that you can be that it will work the next time you use it. Go out and test you rifle with a wide range of ammo under a wide range of conditions. If it jams or fails to fire or feed properly find out why and fix it. If your cheap AR came with cheap springs that keep breaking (I don't know if this is actually a problem) then replace them with something else and try those. If your magazines don't feed reliably then replace them with ones that do. If your trigger system doesn't strike the primers on military surplus ammo hard enough for reliable ignition then change the hammer spring, or hammer or the entire trigger system, until is works every time. You may find that the cheap as dirt AR that you put together for $450 works more reliably than a $2,000 LMT or Noveske, or you may find that you have to replace everything but the barrel and receiver, stock, pistol grip and forearm to get it to work reliably.

Go shooting, you will certainly get better at shooting, and you will probably find out if your rifle is any good as well.

Bizcuits
11-15-2010, 12:03 AM
Can we get a seperate SHTF FORUM

I can dig it.

Anchors
11-15-2010, 4:55 AM
not to call you on a technicallity but our military uses M16's and their varients. But since that technicallity is full auto I kinda have to sorry.

"The M16 is the United States military designation for the AR-15 rifle."

But I would prefer to shoot in semi-automatic anyway in a realistic situation.

1911ZENSHOOTER
11-15-2010, 10:10 AM
I'ma roll with my recce carbine, glock 21. AK74 and an 870 for real dirty work. However, I will use whatever I can get my paws on including swords, knives and slingshots. What people should be thinking of is actually being mobile with their gear, its legalities and how concealable and effective it can be.

BlooDSMeaR
11-15-2010, 10:46 AM
If you have an arrow set up, make sure you have solid silver arrow heads. That way if we have a werewolf/ vampire break out you'll be covered on both....

I'll be riding an 84 Kawi kz 1200, when we hit the streets... Where will we get gas though?

AirborneStranger
11-15-2010, 12:15 PM
AK-47 is my go-to weapon for these moments

:)

stix213
11-15-2010, 12:56 PM
Shoot your gun enough and you won't need to ask someone else if it will be reliable.

3500 rounds through my Saiga 7.62x39, 1500 through my Glock 26. 0 malfunctions, so both are good to go if the SHTF. I've got 350 through my AR with 0 malfunctions, but 350 ain't quite good enough to depend on yet.

Don29palms
11-15-2010, 12:59 PM
Long distance. 50BMG
Not so long distance .308
Shorter not so long distance 5.56x45
Short distance 9mm,.40cal,.357mag and in a pinch .22lr
Closer than that 12guage

And then there's my favorite when all is lost a big F___king KNIFE!

sevensix2x51
11-15-2010, 1:15 PM
Its all about the kershaw outcast.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41eKQdHha%2BL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

.40Cal
11-15-2010, 3:09 PM
Everyone and their AK crap...

Psshhh, get an SKS :cool:

Hey, I have an SKS... :D

Wana get an AR too, just of fun though (okay, to show-off)..Lol..

How's a SPIKES TACTICAL (factory built rifle) ? :willy_nilly:

DisgruntledReaper
11-15-2010, 4:59 PM
We all have our preferences BUT the BEST firearm you can have if the SHTF is the one you have 'RIGHT NOW!' in your possession when the fan starts a flingin'

Personally I would LIKE -FAL, Saiga 12 SBS,handgun(prob a glock) and a .22 lr(personally want a Ruger MK2 w/integral silenced barrel-looks like a bull barrel). Have almost all those covered. You better get a car kit going so it is always at least near by and practice NOT parking in an area that may collapse on the car.....single point FAIL!.

DisgruntledReaper
11-15-2010, 5:01 PM
Its all about the kershaw outcast.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41eKQdHha%2BL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Go for the Gurkha Kukri knife-----mean mf that thing!!

Anchors
11-15-2010, 5:35 PM
Hey, I have an SKS... :D

Wana get an AR too, just of fun though (okay, to show-off)..Lol..

How's a SPIKES TACTICAL (factory built rifle) ? :willy_nilly:

I've got a Spikes upper and I've shot Federal, Tula steel case, etc. Never had one FTF/FTE.
They make a great product at a reasonable price.
And customer service is top notch, there was a problem with the finish on the first one they sent me and they apologized up and down. The owner of the company personally had a return shipping label emailed to me and within a week I had a brand new upper in my hands, all on their dime.
Don't hesitate to deal with Spikes.

eighteenninetytwo
11-15-2010, 5:36 PM
When SHTF it is safe to say - use a FAL

BraveUlysses
11-15-2010, 6:42 PM
Shoot your gun enough and you won't need to ask someone else if it will be reliable.

The most intelligent post in this thread.
Shoot often.

Q
11-15-2010, 7:12 PM
The bolt carrier on my sig556p locked back and not by the bolt hold open button. I couldn't open the upper all the way because the tang of the carrier was not clearing the lower. Got home and after a while trying to seprate the upper the bolt carrier returned.
It was running desert dry, definitely not ak reliable.:D Now I have some synthetic motor oil on the rails so it should be reliable as can be.

BakerPD
11-15-2010, 7:33 PM

:smilielol5:

I have a beanie full of coke bottle caps for said occasion

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p193/Bakerskaterpd54/beancaps.jpg

:cool: