PDA

View Full Version : Is buying ammo online a good idea?

Vbp6us
10-30-2010, 10:17 AM
So I've been spending $39.99 on the Federal 100 round value pack at walmart for the past few weeks, not knowing about all these good deals online. Are we still allowed to buy ammo online?

Any disadvantages to buying online if the savings are significant? Is Russian ammo like Silver Bear prohibited for any reason at gun ranges?

While on the topic, any recommended websites for cheap .223 ammo for plinking?

Thanks

WTSGDYBBR
10-30-2010, 10:20 AM
Some ranges don't want steal core or bi metal ammo . Depends on the range . You may find a better deal in the Cal Gun's Market then on the net but that has been my luck. If you see a good deal you need to jump on it.

richzmn
10-30-2010, 10:23 AM
I buy from these guys:

http://www.sgammo.com/catalog/rifle-ammunition/223-556mm

sniper4usmc
10-30-2010, 10:25 AM
cabelas
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Home/223-Rem-556%7C/pc/105625080/c/106599780/American-Eagle-Rifle-Ammunition/734598.uts?destination=%2Fbrowse.cmd%3FcategoryId% 3D106599780
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Home/223-Rem-556%7C/pc/105625080/c/106599780/PMC-Bronze-Line-Rifle-Ammunition/731863.uts?destination=%2Fbrowse.cmd%3FcategoryId% 3D106599780
Free shipping

BigBamBoo
10-30-2010, 10:27 AM

MrPlink
10-30-2010, 10:50 AM
Very rarely have I found ammo in person for less than online.
Usually at a gun show, and when u consider all the costs of going to a show, it actually ends up costing more in the end.

Mute
10-30-2010, 10:52 AM
I get most of my ammo online.

Stockton
10-30-2010, 10:57 AM
You are good till Feb next year to order online as of right now. Save yourself some cash by shopping. Here and online companies. Buying bulk yields best savings. Walmart is a quick go to but reloading is great too. Try to justify your needs buy looking at how much you shoot and what you want for a rainy day.

acousticmood
10-30-2010, 11:03 AM
Yep get it now while you can

GrizzlyGuy
10-30-2010, 11:03 AM
I buy all of my ammo online. This guy often has good deals and I've never had an issue with any of my orders:

http://www.ammoman.com/

I've also used Midway, Cabelas, rmammo.com (CGN review here (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=256074)) and Natchez Shooters Supplies with no problems.

P.S. - You can still order all types of ammo online, AB962 (handgun ammo) isn't scheduled to go into effect until February, and it may never go into effect thanks to the legal challenges (info here (http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/OOIDA_v._Lindley) and here (http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/State_Ammunition_v._Lindley)) that are underway.

Predator
10-30-2010, 11:08 AM
You are good till Feb next year to order online as of right now. Save yourself some cash by shopping. Here and online companies. Buying bulk yields best savings. Walmart is a quick go to but reloading is great too. Try to justify your needs buy looking at how much you shoot and what you want for a rainy day.

What happens next Feb?
I haven't heard anything about this.
FUD?

GrizzlyGuy
10-30-2010, 11:11 AM
What happens next Feb?
I haven't heard anything about this.
FUD?

No FUD, it is this (http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/2009_-_AB_962_De_Leon%2C_Ammunition) (assuming it survives the ongoing legal challenges, which is unlikely).

Stockton
10-30-2010, 11:18 AM
Not sure why you have not heard about this. Who are you?

No FUD just an existing issue that may or may not be resolved. Just search for it.

MrPlink
10-30-2010, 11:26 AM
It won't effect rifle ammo.

Predator
10-30-2010, 11:26 AM
Guess it depends on what ammo we're talking about. As far as I see AB962, pertains exclusively to handgun ammo.

I'm assuming too much, being we're in the centerfire rifle thread. :confused:

Stockton
10-30-2010, 11:29 AM
Not suppose to anyway^^^. Hopefully online companies don't go that distance.

r6raff
10-30-2010, 11:38 AM
Guess it depends on what ammo we're talking about. As far as I see AB962, pertains exclusively to handgun ammo.

I'm assuming too much, being we're in the centerfire rifle thread. :confused:

Rifle ammo will still be available to purchase online after Feb. its Handgun ammo that won't.

That said, I purchase just about all my ammo online, either from cheaper than dirt, cabelas or palmetto state armory. The latter is my go to guys for 5.56, $300 for 1k xm193 + 12dollar shipping. Cheapest I have seen out there, they never have stock of steel case ammo though, I dont generally use that trash anyways. If I dont have time to wait for a shipment, I will hit Walmart. There is a place in San Jose that also sells pmc bronze 223 20rnds for 7.99.

Getting ready to start reloading soon however, seems I can reload a decent 75gr amax round for about 23cents a pop using my brass (5k plus once-fired waiting to be loaded)

r6raff
10-30-2010, 11:42 AM
Not suppose to anyway^^^. Hopefully online companies don't go that distance.

I have heard some scuttlebutt that some online retailers will just end all sales to CA. However, being they are going to be losing out on handgun ammo sale it would seem stupid to screw themselves even further. As far as I know, this law wont increase any paperwork for selling rifle ammo, so it would be idiotic for anyone to further reduce their sources of revenue.

My thoughts atleast.

chesterthehero
10-30-2010, 11:44 AM
i shoot the russian stuff every chance i get its by far the cheapest option.. when you take shipping into consideration walmart is 99% of the time the best price.. the cabelas PMC and AE are great options however shipping kills it unless you get it when cabelas does free/$5 shippin which is every few weeks (join their Emailing list) if you order in bulk (1000+) you can usuially get extra coupons for orders over $100 and such..
without shopping around and without waiting for shipping sales walmart is the cheapest around for both russian and brass .223
gunshows (Dec 18,19 is the next one in SD) have pretty good deals for bulk ammo as well however this means having to wait till they come around... crossroads of the west is in socal monthly (ontario, costa mesa, delmar).. if you are ONLY getting ammo you need to get several thousand rounds to offset the ticket price ($15 or so + parking).. however if you pickup other stuff or even just get out of the house for a day its worth the price of a ticket..

you can also reload.. you wont save any money however you will be able to shoot more for the same..

TreeHugger
10-30-2010, 11:55 AM
Last time I bought a bunch of different caliber ammo from http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/, they had the best prices that I could find, and a friendly bunch of TX boys. Ask for John or Jason, tell em Ric sent ya.

only10x
10-30-2010, 12:31 PM
+1 palmetto state armory

theres alot of ammo that I CANT buy locally. If you want .22 ammo I recommend you buy it by the case its cheaper and less hassle, besides you know you will shoot it why not just stock up.

if you plan on shooting alot and have the time, reloading will be your best bet.

Vbp6us
10-30-2010, 12:32 PM
I rarely buy locally...to expensive. So I buy my ammo and reloading supplies online.

Take care,Stan

Very rarely have I found ammo in person for less than online.
Usually at a gun show, and when u consider all the costs of going to a show, it actually ends up costing more in the end.

Man I'm so glad I did some research this morning and made this thread. I had no idea how much cheaper it is online.

Yeah I'm going to make one big purchase I think.

I buy all of my ammo online. This guy often has good deals and I've never had an issue with any of my orders:

http://www.ammoman.com/

I've also used Midway, Cabelas, rmammo.com (CGN review here (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=256074)) and Natchez Shooters Supplies with no problems.

P.S. - You can still order all types of ammo online, AB962 (handgun ammo) isn't scheduled to go into effect until February, and it may never go into effect thanks to the legal challenges (info here (http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/OOIDA_v._Lindley) and here (http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/State_Ammunition_v._Lindley)) that are underway.

Awesome information, thank you.

i shoot the russian stuff every chance i get its by far the cheapest option.. when you take shipping into consideration walmart is 99% of the time the best price.. the cabelas PMC and AE are great options however shipping kills it unless you get it when cabelas does free/$5 shippin which is every few weeks (join their Emailing list) if you order in bulk (1000+) you can usuially get extra coupons for orders over $100 and such..
without shopping around and without waiting for shipping sales walmart is the cheapest around for both russian and brass .223
gunshows (Dec 18,19 is the next one in SD) have pretty good deals for bulk ammo as well however this means having to wait till they come around... crossroads of the west is in socal monthly (ontario, costa mesa, delmar).. if you are ONLY getting ammo you need to get several thousand rounds to offset the ticket price ($15 or so + parking).. however if you pickup other stuff or even just get out of the house for a day its worth the price of a ticket..

you can also reload.. you wont save any money however you will be able to shoot more for the same..

Where can I get Russian ammo at walmart? I don't recall seeing any at my local walmart, ever. The gun shows are too much of a hassle and overall, not worth it, unless you buy a bunch of crap like you said. I don't have the means to do reloading at this point but it would be sweet telling my friends I made my own bullets. :D Thanks for the informative post.

slomofo
10-30-2010, 12:40 PM
http://www.ammoengine.com
http://www.sgammo.com

dr_communist
10-30-2010, 2:04 PM
I know they are not Cali friendly but I just ordered 1000 rounds of Tula .223 from ctd for $3.59 a box

chesterthehero
10-30-2010, 4:28 PM
if the first walmart you go to does not have the russian stuff (tula.. looks like this (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/chetifall/guns/64056.jpg)) try another walmart.. the bigger the walmart the better the chance.. theres a thread around here somewhere about san diego walmarts with pretty constant updates on who has what for ammo.. anyway the stuff goes for $4.98 a box... however it WILL NOT pass a magnet test.. if im remembering this right the bullet itself is copper plated steel over lead..

ive ordered the PMC stuff from cabelas a few times.. with free shipping (use code XHOLIDAY for free shipping on orders over $125) its almost gunshow pricing so you cant lose.. if this is your first time ordering ammo online a heads up.. ive always had to sign for the package so either have it shipped somewhere where someone can sigh for it or attach a not to have them hold it at the center for pickup.... if you are thinking of shipping it to your office it comes with a small sticker on the box the says "small arms" or something like that.. my girl got me some ammo for my birthday and had it shipped to her office and got told not to do that again...

DETAILS:
* $125 minimum order required, excluding gift cards
* Enter promotion code XHOLIDAY during checkout
* Additional shipping charges for large or heavy items still apply
* Offer does not apply to firearms
* Good on Standard Express shipping to U.S. Deliverable Addresses ONLY
* Offer expires November 9, 2010, 11:59 p.m. (EST)
* Not valid with any other offer
* Offer cannot be used on prior purchases
* Cabela's reserves the right to exclude certain products from this promotion
* Not available to Cabela's employees

silversix
10-30-2010, 4:40 PM
Yes.

Ammoman
AmmunitionToGo
Palmetto State Armory
Cabela's

bearj
10-30-2010, 5:28 PM
from what i have heard from many many sources is that it is hang gun ammo and they are putting in that 223/55.6 and 7.62 you will not be able to buy online so buy while you can

bearj
10-30-2010, 5:35 PM
i get mine on palmetto. good deals

r6raff
10-30-2010, 6:08 PM
from what i have heard from many many sources is that it is hang gun ammo and they are putting in that 223/55.6 and 7.62 you will not be able to buy online so buy while you can

Where did you read that 223/5.56 and 7.62 were being considered hangun ammunition? Also, is it 7.62x39 , x51 or x54r

I dont see how any of the cartridges can be considered primary handgun ammunition

Deadon
10-30-2010, 7:30 PM
Im so bummed about the new law coming. I dont know what Ill do. Its sooo mach money to buy local, sux!

SoCalCitizen
10-30-2010, 8:01 PM
I Buy U.S. made ammo online from Cabelas when on sale with cheap or no shipping charge and no sales tax. Nothing wrong with picking up ammo from wally world either in bulk packs.

NiteQwill
10-30-2010, 10:59 PM
Palmetto State Armory

Joe and his staff are awesome. Shipping is cheap, too.

Cabela's is good, too, when they have free shipping or good deals going on.

$0.xx/round + tax, Walmart is not the best.

r6raff
10-30-2010, 11:39 PM
Can anyone link or reference info that states 223/556 being included in the online ban? I'm hearing a lot of scuttlebutt, however I can't seem to find anything to verify this. FUD??? Me thinks so

r6raff
10-30-2010, 11:42 PM
Palmetto State Armory

Joe and his staff are awesome. Shipping is cheap, too.

Cabela's is good, too, when they have free shipping or good deals going on.

$0.xx/round + tax, Walmart is not the best.

Yea! Joe is a stand up dude, I buy from him whenever I get a chance.

thrillhouse700
10-30-2010, 11:52 PM
Can anyone link or reference info that states 223/556 being included in the online ban? I'm hearing a lot of scuttlebutt, however I can't seem to find anything to verify this. FUD??? Me thinks so

That amendment was shot down along with the long gun reg.

r6raff
10-31-2010, 12:38 AM
That amendment was shot down along with the long gun reg.

Right! It seems like other person I talk to thinks that 223/556 won't be available online after feb 1st. I hear it so much from people that maybe I thought I misunderstood what had passed.

NationsMostWanted
10-31-2010, 12:39 AM
whats the lowest price brand usually?

metalliman545
10-31-2010, 1:17 AM
tula.

GasPiston
10-31-2010, 1:46 AM
I have purchased from www.bulkammo.com

tvfreakarms
10-31-2010, 2:37 AM
Here's a website that has good deals. And the shipping is very fair

AmmosAmmos (http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php)

BHPFan
10-31-2010, 5:04 AM
Is buying ammo online a good idea?

Yes and might as well do it now while it is allowed.

I buy ammo online because I cannot find the brand and model of JHP ammo I want at the local stores. When it comes to FMJs, plinkers or range ammo, I will only go online if they offer a much better price including shipping than local.

JaMail
10-31-2010, 6:21 AM
Rifle ammo will still be available to purchase online after Feb. its Handgun ammo that won't.

That said, I purchase just about all my ammo online, either from cheaper than dirt, cabelas or palmetto state armory. The latter is my go to guys for 5.56, $300 for 1k xm193 + 12dollar shipping. Cheapest I have seen out there, they never have stock of steel case ammo though, I dont generally use that trash anyways. If I dont have time to wait for a shipment, I will hit Walmart. There is a place in San Jose that also sells pmc bronze 223 20rnds for 7.99.

Getting ready to start reloading soon however, seems I can reload a decent 75gr amax round for about 23cents a pop using my brass (5k plus once-fired waiting to be loaded)

Try buying from cheaper than dirt now.. they are already rejecting california buyers..

tried to buy some tula from them last week.. ive joined the boycott CTD crowd, they wont sell lower parts kits, they wont sell ar15 grip by themselves..

im just done with them.

BHPFan
10-31-2010, 6:30 AM
Try buying from cheaper than dirt now.. they are already rejecting california buyers..

tried to buy some tula from them last week.. ive joined the boycott CTD , crowdthey wont sell lower parts kits, they wont sell ar15 grip by themselves..

im just done with them.

This.

:iagree:

metalliman545
10-31-2010, 6:48 AM
i never found anything on CTD that was actually cheaper than hunting around for better deals. i have like 43054532 accounts on different sites just so i could find out the shipping. always found stuff better then them.

r6raff
10-31-2010, 7:26 AM

tried to buy some tula from them last week.. ive joined the boycott CTD crowd, they wont sell lower parts kits, they wont sell ar15 grip by themselves..

im just done with them.

That's to bad, last time I purchased ammo from them was 9mm about 6 months ago. But I buy 99% of my ammo from Palmetto with 12 dollar shipping per 1k rounds (generally) it's usually the cheapest I can find. Plus Joe and his crew rock.

NoExpert
10-31-2010, 7:44 AM
The problem with 5.56/.223 and the ban is people have AR lowers registered as pistols, making that now a pistol caliber. I've even heard of 7.62X51 pistols and even a .50BMG pistol. With all of that you can see the legal hassles online companies will have when dealing with people in CA. The only way I see around it is to have a statement on the site saying you're buying the ammo for a rifle and they're not responsible otherwise, click this box, initials here, date there, pin number... However what's easier for shop owners; going through all the legal stuff with lawyers and making the perfect statement then seeing if it'll fly with CADOJ and possibly get shot down by our illustrious retards in power... or, say to hell with CA and not sell ammo to us at all? I'm hoping it gets shot down since I like my online ammo but I also already have arrangements with family if it goes into effect.

r6raff
10-31-2010, 8:23 AM
Handgun Ammunition definition per PenalCode chapter 2.6 regarding ammunition Section 12323 which will be used as reference to enforcing ab962

(a) "Handgun ammunition" means ammunition principally for use in pistols, revolvers, and other firearms capable of being concealed upon the person, as defined in subdivision (a) of Section 12001, notwithstanding that the ammunition may also be used in some rifles.

223/556 primarily functions as rifle ammunition, therefor should not be included in the ban.

themailman
10-31-2010, 8:24 AM
Ammo online is only a good deal if you buy in bulk as shipping is usuall $10+ for any amount you buy.

Cali-Shooter
10-31-2010, 8:27 AM

Yep get it now while you can

Ammo online is only a good deal if you buy in bulk as shipping is usuall $10+ for any amount you buy.

You guys said it :thumbsup:

r6raff
10-31-2010, 8:29 AM

Yea, I buy a minimum of 1000 rounds when purchasing online. With Palmetto they charge a flat rate of $12 per 1000rounds, so I buy in 1k increments to maximize my savings. I get xm193 at 31-32cents a round online, the best B&M I can find is walmart at 40cents a round.

Stockton
10-31-2010, 10:16 AM

im just done with them.

See what I mean...retarded retarded retarded....Full Tard on its way. Some of those places listed I already buy from now but there is one listed that just has plane old great deals.

I reload for accuracy but getting what i can for rainy day is coming from online.

Joe
10-31-2010, 10:22 AM
http://palmettostatearmory.com/223-556-ammo.php

X-NewYawker
10-31-2010, 10:54 AM
Buying ammo in ANY way is a good idea now. Look for more restrictions down the pike. Stock up while it's legal and you can.

JaMail
10-31-2010, 12:02 PM
eh, im less than 4 hours from stateline. already have agreements with some people from my club to do some convoy's to vegas to buy... as long as gas money is covered.

Matt3989
10-31-2010, 12:55 PM
It seems like nobody really knows if they are banning internet sales of .223/5.56 I hope not, but I'm less than 3 hours from cabelas in nevada so I guess ill be making trips there quite often :D

faterikcartman
10-31-2010, 1:18 PM
www.ammunitiontogo.com
www.ammoman.com

NationsMostWanted
10-31-2010, 4:13 PM
tula.

how much those run compared to better name brand ones?

Vbp6us
10-31-2010, 7:57 PM
Thanks everyone for the great suggestions. I'm a little bummed I can't shoot the cheap stuff, Silver Bear at my local range but oh well.

evolixsurf
10-31-2010, 8:00 PM
https://surplusammo.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=37_38&products_id=245&zenid=b179c9388b3f0ed24bf87756aa9bf46a

just check these rounds for defects. other than that it looks like great ammo for good price. Got some for my upcoming carbine class. out of 500 rounds checked i removed 11 that i personally wont shoot out of my gun...

NiteQwill
10-31-2010, 8:02 PM
how much those run compared to better name brand ones?

On a good day on Cabela's. It's 2.99/box. Or $200 for 1K.

f4ipowered
11-01-2010, 12:09 PM
AIM Surplus. Good Prices.

Deadon
11-01-2010, 12:14 PM
AIM Surplus. Good Prices.

Shipping is too high

Bigjune
11-01-2010, 1:00 PM
I buy from these guys:

http://www.sgammo.com/catalog/rifle-ammunition/223-556mm

thanx nice prices

BKTJ
11-01-2010, 1:30 PM
As long as you go with the cheap shipping sites (Palmetto, Copes and couple others). Deals at places like AIM are killed by high shipping rates.
As to CTD they can dry up and blow away. I'm not sure why they send me a monthly catalog, when they won't sell most of whats in it to California. I joined last year when I learned they had a glitch which doubled the first time buyers credit and gave free shipping. Spent $1500 on ammo at 10year old prices and got free shipping to boot. It really paid for the membership, but that was a freak one time deal.

deadcoyote
11-01-2010, 2:58 PM
It's a ridiculously good idea unless you hate your wallet.

donking
11-02-2010, 1:01 PM
... Are we still allowed to buy ammo online?

Any disadvantages to buying online if the savings are significant? Is Russian ammo like Silver Bear prohibited for any reason at gun ranges?

Yes, still allowed to buy on-line.

Didn't see anyone give a disadvantage -- you should have a secure place to deliver or be at home to receive or be able to pick up from the local UPS.

Need to also be careful about bi-metal and steel projectiles. Some web sites don't give the details or a clear picture of all sides of the box.

hefedehefe
11-02-2010, 2:06 PM
And for 762x39?

Merc1138
11-02-2010, 2:07 PM
And for 762x39?

Ordering 7.62x39 online is the same as ordering 5.56 online. Shop around, find a good deal, then order. The websites people have listed would be great places to find 7.62 as well.

RJonesUSC
11-02-2010, 2:31 PM
Exactly, shop around online for the best deal. I buy online mostly in bulk as well. The savings on the tax alone sometimes makes it worth it. Only specialy stuff that I need quickly will I purchase locally - like lead-free stuff for hunting.

cabinetguy
11-02-2010, 3:00 PM
overall you get better prices, but buyer beware, i bought 1000 rnds mbi reman. and i dealt with dented shoulders, and over 20% ftf. however, the company gave me a full refund for the 800 i didnt shoot. buy new, avoid remanufactured ammo if you enjoy shooting

captbilly
11-02-2010, 3:02 PM
I know it is not legal to buy ammo online if you live in Sacramento. I believe that San Francisco is also illegal and I think there are a few other places as well. If you live in one of those areas you will have to have your ammo shipped to a friend or ex wife, kids or someone who is willing to get the shipment.

Does anyone know if there are any legal challenges to the shipping of ammo to Sacramento. I used to buy ammo online all the time but now it is a giant hassle for me to have it shipped to a friend and then pick it up.

My main reason for buying ammo online is that there is a far far better selection from online sources than I can find locally. The local stores seem to carry some cheap ammo, some hunting ammo, maybe even a little selection of self defense ammo, but I see very little selection in match ammo from any local source, or some crazy price if they do have it. I can get Federal 168 grain gold match .308 for less than $20 on line but locally it can cost well over $30. I can't find, Black Hills, HSM, or Prvi Partizan, match ammo at all locally.

r6raff
11-02-2010, 3:12 PM
From palmetto state armory shipping restrictions

California: Napa and Yolo Counties. The cities of Los Angeles, Oakland, Sacramento and San Francisco.

I have never tried to get ammo shipped to any of those locations.

donking
11-02-2010, 4:44 PM
overall you get better prices, but buyer beware, i bought 1000 rnds mbi reman. and i dealt with dented shoulders, and over 20% ftf. however, the company gave me a full refund for the 800 i didnt shoot. buy new, avoid remanufactured ammo if you enjoy shooting

Yep, I stay away from reman or reloaded when buying on-line.