PDA

View Full Version : ????? AR build??????

crash972
10-30-2010, 10:09 AM
Can I build a legal AR starting with a Bushmaster stripped lower?

MrPlink
10-30-2010, 10:24 AM
As long as the lower is off list, and you follow the guidelines to avoid building an illegal assault weapon.
Check the oll - aw guide links on the top of the page.

JagerTroop
10-30-2010, 10:26 AM
No! Bushmaster lowers are banned by name. Its not really legal to even possess a banned lower.

The only bushy lower you can have ie a Carbon 15.

crash972
10-30-2010, 10:29 AM
Very new to this who else make a very good lower?

Thanks for you help.

cgseanp1
10-30-2010, 10:35 AM
From my understanding, just about all OLL brands are fine. I think there are a few main companies that make most of the lowers for the other companies.
Either way, here are some decent ones that I know of off top of my head:

Kaiser (I think they changed their name)
Noveske
Aero Precision
S&W
Stag
Spikes
Rock River Arms
CMMG
Del Ton

The list goes on and on. There are a few crappy companies out there, I think Vulcan and Hesse are ones to stay away from.

crash972
10-30-2010, 10:37 AM
Thanks.

Let the build begin:D

C_1
10-30-2010, 10:45 AM
Why Bushmaster? Like the person above of me said, Noveske, LMT, DD, BCM, S&W, Mega, Spikes, Stag, CMMG, JD, are all good. Stay away from DPMS, RRA, DSA, Vulcan, Hesse, any banned lower, or other weird or small manufacturers of lowers. Stick to the major or well known brands.

Go into your local gun shop, and see what they got. Pick the one with the logo you like best. Maybe check in with us to see if the lower you want is good to go. But other than that, welcome to calguns, and you now have BRD :)

Edit: So do you have anything else for your AR "build"? Here's a quick parts list of what you need.

1. Lower
2. BB
3. LPK
4. Stock & buffer assembly
5. Complete upper w/ BCG, CH & handguards
6. Rear sight

Then with a few mags, a case of ammo, and a cleaning kit, you should be good.

Edit: Before anybody else quotes me, we are talking about lowers in particular, and Im not saying that DPMS, RRA, or DSA is bad nor are any of them small or weird. I included them in the non desirables because a DPMS or RRA complete rifle is banned. Much easier to just avoid it as a whole. And as I stated in the other posts, I had problems with DSA receivers, which required a bit of extra work.

slomofo
10-30-2010, 2:10 PM
Very new to this who else make a very good lower?

Thanks for you help.

The lower doesn't really matter so long as it's Mil-Spec. I have multiple lowers made by different manufacturers and all of them are good. My personal favorites are the Tactical Innovations & LAR Grizzly. The Tac has some nice features (capture screw for rear take down pin, upper receiver tensioning screw, etc.). The LAR has the most durable and best looking finish I've come acrossed. I have a bunch of Noveske blem & RRA receivers too because they always go on sale for $89-$99, but their finish isn't that nice in my opinion; easily scratched.

Why Bushmaster? Like the person above of me said, Noveske, LMT, DD, BCM, S&W, Mega, Spikes, Stag, CMMG, JD, are all good. Stay away from DPMS, RRA, DSA, Vulcan, Hesse, any banned lower, or other weird or small manufacturers of lowers. Stick to the major or well known brands.

Go into your local gun shop, and see what they got. Pick the one with the logo you like best. Maybe check in with us to see if the lower you want is good to go. But other than that, welcome to calguns, and you now have BRD :)

Edit: So do you have anything else for your AR "build"? Here's a quick parts list of what you need.

1. Lower
2. BB
3. LPK
6. Rear sight

What's wrong with RRA? How would you compare a Rock River to a Noveske lower?

Dreaded Claymore
10-30-2010, 3:34 PM
Stay away from DPMS, RRA, DSA, Vulcan, Hesse, any banned lower, or other weird or small manufacturers of lowers. Stick to the major or well known brands.

Hang on, I just bought a Double Star lower, STAR-15. I'm not screwed am I?

Cyc Wid It
10-30-2010, 3:43 PM
YMMV. Generally, aside from aesthetics, even those companies will make usable lowers. It's just the percentage of out-of-spec or broken ones is much much greater. We are talking about lowers after all, not BCG's/uppers.

crash972
10-30-2010, 5:32 PM

1. Lower
2. BB
3. LPK
6. Rear sight

I don't have any parts yet. Bushmaster seems like a popular brand name.
And a friend of mine has a pre ban one that I have shot & liked.
So I thought I'd start with the lower & them pick & chose what
was good.

Very open to any help

Thanks guys.

JagerTroop
10-30-2010, 6:29 PM

1. Lower
2. BB
3. LPK
6. Rear sight

I'm not exactly sure how you can call RRA, and DSA "weird and small manufacturers".

C_1
10-30-2010, 7:00 PM
What's wrong with RRA? How would you compare a Rock River to a Noveske lower?

Nothing is wrong with RRA, its just in CA, a complete RRA rifle is banned, so its better just to avoid a RRA lower.

Hang on, I just bought a Double Star lower, STAR-15. I'm not screwed am I?

No, Double Star is not bad. Havent had any problems with the ones I've seen..

I'm not exactly sure how you can call RRA, and DSA "weird and small manufacturers".

Haha.. Sorry bro :) I kinda jumbled them in one bunch. Dont really know of one word that will describe them all. But I explained why he shouldnt go with an RRA in the beginning of this post. And with all of the DSA receivers that I have messed with, it needed some extra love. BB had to be filed and fitted. Holes were tight and the finish chipped easily. Junk in some of the holes, etc etc.

C_1
10-30-2010, 7:19 PM
I don't have any parts yet. Bushmaster seems like a popular brand name.
And a friend of mine has a pre ban one that I have shot & liked.
So I thought I'd start with the lower & them pick & chose what
was good.

Very open to any help

Thanks guys.

If you like Bushmaster, and its not on the list, then thats fine. Ordering online, and getting it shipped to your FFL, is going to cost extra. You can get a lower of the same quality, most likely cheaper, at your local gun shop.

Most lowers are the same. Only a handful of manufacturers make them, and they get sent off to other companies, that put their name and logo on it; then refinish it.

MrPlink
10-30-2010, 8:04 PM

+1
add DPMS to that list :rolleyes:

I understand Vulcan, Hesse, and others made out of spec lowers, but thats not the case for the rest on that list.

And last I checked Noveske isnt exactly a huge company. So are boutique names ok provided they have a lot of hype behind them? :rolleyes:

C_1
10-30-2010, 8:26 PM
+1
add DPMS to that list :rolleyes:

I understand Vulcan, Hesse, and others made out of spec lowers, but thats not the case for the rest on that list.

And last I checked Noveske isnt exactly a huge company. So are boutique names ok provided they have a lot of hype behind them? :rolleyes:

I need to revise my post.. haha. But DPMS is included because its the same as RRA, banned. Noveske is not a huge company, but they are well known, and considered top notch.

Im not calling RRA, DPMS, and DSA weird or small, Im just bunching them up in the same group as the rest of the not so desirables, because of the reasons I posted above.

MaHoTex
10-30-2010, 8:35 PM
C-1,

I am about ready to order a complete upper and was going to go with a RRA 16" MidLength with BCG. Is that an ok choice, or will I be sorry? The quality is good at RRA from what I understand.

From your last post you say it is just the lower because it is not on the list. Upper good to go?

C_1
10-30-2010, 8:50 PM
Uppers are not banned, so its good to go. RRA is considered mid tier, and it should be fine for range use and weekend shooters. Door kickers and folks going in the sandbox need something a lil more "better." There's the chart everybody talks about. I'll PM ya..

MaHoTex
10-30-2010, 8:57 PM
Thanks. I am just a mall Ninja not a door kicker. ;)

C_1
10-30-2010, 9:27 PM
Thanks. I am just a mall Ninja not a door kicker. ;)

You dont need to be a door kicker or mall ninja, you just need the money :) Thats all they care about.. haha

slomofo
10-30-2010, 10:19 PM
Nothing is wrong with RRA, its just in CA, a complete RRA rifle is banned, so its better just to avoid a RRA lower.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=73757&stc=1&d=1288502278

So my rifle would be illegal in California?

crash972
10-31-2010, 11:22 AM
So what are the top 5 manf. for quality lowers?

slomofo
10-31-2010, 11:57 AM

Mega Machine
LAR Manufacturing
Continental Machine & Tool (CMT)
Lewis Machiine & Tool (LMT)

Most of the brands mentioned in this thread are made by one of those four companies.

wsmc27
10-31-2010, 12:03 PM
JD Machine in San Diego, CA.

Local SoCal manufactured high-quality lowers.

Exposed
10-31-2010, 12:21 PM

+1! They have supurb customer service as well.

MaHoTex
10-31-2010, 12:53 PM

+1 again...

I have 2 of them and they are darn sweet. I built them up with no issues.

PyroFox79
10-31-2010, 1:51 PM
just buy a JD lower and be done with it. Costs alot less than any other lower out there and it is just as good if not better.

C_1
10-31-2010, 2:08 PM
So my rifle would be illegal in California?

Ah yes, there are a few exceptions.. RRA, Bushmaster, Colt, they all have at least 1 thats not on the list. But most gun shops in CA dont carry those (stripped lowers) anyways, so you'd have to do some work, and pay a bit extra to get it. I guess if you like the logo or you want the whole rifle to match, then it would be worth it.

Mega Machine
LAR Manufacturing
Continental Machine & Tool (CMT)
Lewis Machiine & Tool (LMT)

Most of the brands mentioned in this thread are made by one of those four companies.

Yep, most of them come from the same manufacturers. Best bet is to get to a gun shop, and inspect and select from the variety they have. Mega is said to have the best finish(/fit?) but just about any would do. JD is in CA and their lowers are not bad. Check em out.

AR-15 Rep
10-31-2010, 2:13 PM
Don't forget the lowers from tactical machine... they passed the test with the sniper school and had ordered hundreds...

crash972
10-31-2010, 4:21 PM
I'll check these lowers out.

MaHoTex
10-31-2010, 5:05 PM
Add a bit more to my earlier post:

You can get the JD lower for under $100. Not sure where you are at, but JD is in San Diego. From where I am, I could drive to the factory.

rugershooter
11-02-2010, 11:30 PM
How about a Plum Crazy lower for a first build? $150 for a a complete lower seems really tempting.

Don29palms
11-03-2010, 9:47 AM
JD Machine is one of the manufactures that make the lowers for other companies including Spikes. They are definitely a top tier lower.

crash972
11-03-2010, 6:21 PM
Been leaning toward Mega but Spike is easy to get in my area.